Uncle Bobby's Wedding by Sarah S. Brannen

Uncle Bobby's Wedding (edition 2008)

by Sarah S. Brannen, Sarah S. Brannen (Illustrator)

Member:leighfer23
Title:Uncle Bobby's Wedding
Authors:Sarah S. Brannen
Other authors:Sarah S. Brannen (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2008), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:wedding, marriage, animals

Uncle Bobby's Wedding by Sarah S. Brannen

This was a excellent book about a little girl guinea pig who is worried her favorite uncle's upcoming wedding is going to negatively impact her relationship with him. Throughout the rest of the book her Uncle Bobby and fiance Jamie do there best to involve her and grow their relationship. Really, the book does a great job of treating the homosexual relationship of Uncle Bobby and Jamie as no big deal, and the story is really about the relationship between the little girl Chloe and the two men. Seriously a great book. I would use this book for discussing changing circumstances in a relationship and how things can actually get better.
Reading Level: 1.6 Interest Level: K-3 ( )
  TaraKennedy | Apr 16, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a wonderful book for two reasons. First, I like that Chloe has a special bond with her uncle. For example, they have a favorite path through the field. They also spend a lot of time together. In the beginning of the book, it says “They went for long walks together. He took her rowing on the river. He taught her the names of the stars.” Not many people can say they have that close of a bond with family members outside of their immediate family. Second, I also liked that Chloe was able to bond with Jamie so quickly, as well as be a part of the wedding party. For example, Chloe says “I wish both of you were my uncles” to which Uncle Bobby reassures her that her wish will come true. Jamie also asks her to be their flower girl, to which Chloe agrees to, as long as the wedding cake is carrot cake. This book can teach children that it’s okay for them to have bonds with family members, but sometimes those relatives need bonds with other people. It can also teach children to have acceptance, especially of situations that they don’t know much about.
  AliciaTrotman | Mar 2, 2015 |
5. Uncle Bobby’s wedding, written and illustrated by Sarah S. Brannen and published in 2008 by Putnam Juvenile, is a realistic fiction picture book about a girls uncles wedding to his same sex partner. I thought that this book was ok. The illustrations are nothing special and the story seemed very weak. Also the book did not push me to think about same sex families as much as I wanted to. The illustrations seem very plain and did not catch my eye. They were just there in the background of the text being somewhat distracting. There was also very little detail in the illustrations. On page 4 Chloe and her Uncle Bobby are on a lake and next to that lake is a long grassy field. The grassy field is just a green blob with very little detail of the grass. It does not even look like grass at all. What I look for in picture books is detail. I think that detail is a really important factor in illustrations that can make or break the illustrations affect on the book. This book really dropped the ball on the illustrations. They seemed very plain and weak. The actual story line seemed to be very weak without a lot of plot or development. We didn’t even get a good chance to get to know Bob’s partner Jamie. He is introduced once and that is all we hear of him. This book is about a girl’s homosexual uncle getting married to his partner. To my surprise there was not a big push from the book for me to think about the issue. A lot of children’s picture books that revolve around LGBT issues really push the reader to think about how someone of that community can raise a family. This book did not do that. I feel that, with the targeted age range of the readers, this book could have really reached a lot of children but it fell flat. Family and love are the center of the big idea of this book. Chloe must think about what family means and relies that her uncle’s will always love her. ( )
  cbower6 | Nov 26, 2013 |
Features two gay animal characters, Bobby and his soon to be husband.
  rschwed | Oct 5, 2013 |
Review from library copy.

a decade/decade and a half ago, this might have been scandalous. now? superflous. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |
To my family, and to all people who love each other
Bobby was Chloe's favorite uncle.

Bobby and Jamie are getting married, but Bobby?s niece Chloe is worried that she won?t be his favorite person anymore. Will Uncle Bobby still think she is special?

Sarah Brannen?s warm story is set in an alternative family as Uncle Bobby marries his boyfriend. Uncle Bobby?s Wedding embraces Bobby?s relationship with Jamie, but keeps its focus where it truly belongs: on an uncle and niece?s love for each other.

Beautifully told and charmingly illustrated, this simple yet moving story begs to be read time and again.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:14 -0400)

Chlo?e is jealous and sad when her favorite uncle announces that he will be getting married, but as she gets to know Jamie better and becomes involved in planning the wedding, she discovers that she will always be special to Uncle Bobby--and to Uncle Jamie, too.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible