Orsinian Tales by Ursula K. Le Guin

Orsinian Tales (edition 1991)

by Ursula K. Le Guin

Series: Orsinia (1)

Member:selfnoise
Title:Orsinian Tales
Authors:Ursula K. Le Guin
Info:HarperTorch (1991), Reprint, Paperback
Tags:fantasy, short stories

Orsinian Tales by Ursula K. Le Guin

Malafrena by Ursula K. Le Guin (Heather39)
    Heather39: If you enjoyed Orsinian Tales, you may also like Malafrena, Le Guin's novel set in the same place and exploring many of the themes also explored in Orsinian Tales.
    Hav by Jan Morris (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Two imaginary countries, Hav and Orsinia, which are almost mind maps of their respective authors.
    The City & The City by China Miéville (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Le Guin's Orsinia may have been an inspiration for Mieville's mythical Orciny in The City and the City.

An uneven but overall enjoyable collection of short stories by Le Guin; my particular favorites were "The Barrow," "Ile Forest," and "Imaginary Countries." ( )
  JBD1 | Dec 30, 2017 |
Le Guin is an acquired taste as it is. These stories while wonderfully written were no so wonderfully conceived. They do not have holes, nor do they posses hokey narrative devices that weigh down the prose with gimmicks, but for all its solidity they simply are not interesting. And I desperately wanted them to be. But such is life in the drab Orsinia.

The one exception might be "Ile Forest". A great story, with a disappointing ending that let the reader down easy as they wrap up a great beginning and middle. Otherwise, meh... ( )
1 vote DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
I did not want to finish this book. Generally speaking I don't enjoy the short story form. The Sherlock Holmes stories are the exception; but they are episodes in a longer story. These are episodes in the history of Orsinia, no doubt, but that doesn't tie them together well enough. Le Guin did the same thing on a larger scale with her Hainish cycle, but it works better when the stories are longer and the narratives more complex.

"The Barrow" could work just as well in a basic horror story collection. The only thing that makes it distinctively Ursula LeGuin's work is the discord between the local priest, full of superstitions, and the visiting one, who has been to seminary.

I enjoyed Malafrena a whole lot more. ( )
1 vote themulhern | Oct 26, 2013 |
A bit mundane for my own tastes; I liked the ones set earlier (The Barrow, and The Lady Of Moge) best. ( )
1 vote zeborah | Jun 5, 2013 |
Just finished reading Le Guin's Orsinian Tales. I'm not sure what I think of it, actually. The stories in themselves are well written, interesting -- the first few, in my opinion, are better than the last few. Or maybe that's the warm day and my lack of focus speaking. Either way, I really liked Conversations at Night, one of the earlier ones. It's an interesting idea -- a series of stories about an imaginary European country. I think she also has a novel based on the country, which might've been more satisfying to me. Orsinian Tales is just glimpses of a world. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Ursula K. Le Guinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ducak,DaniloCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jensen, ReidarTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nasser, MurielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They knew, having given him cause, that Dr. Kereth might attempt to seek political asylum in Paris.

Orsinia ... a land of medieval forests, stonewalled cities, and railways reaching into the mountains where the old gods dwell. A country where life is harsh, dreams are gentle, and people feel torn by powerful forces and fight to remain whole. In this enchanting collection, Ursula K. Le Guin brings to mainstream fiction the same compelling mastery of word and deed, of story and character, of violence and love, that has won her the Pushcart Prize, and the Kafka and National Book Awards.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:22 -0400)

"Orsinia...a land of medieval forests, stonewalled cities, and railways reaching into the mountains where the old gods dwell. A country where life is harsh, dreams are gentle, and people feel torn by powerful forces and fight to remain whole. In this collection, Ursula K. Le Guin brings to mainstream fiction the same compelling mastery of word and deed, of story and character, of violence and love, that has won her the Pushcart Prize, and the Kafka and National Book Awards."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,860,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible