Dragon Forge by James Wyatt

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found it fairly standard in terms of a fantasy novel. That usual sort of formula. It drew away from the standards in the DnD novels a bit at least (as in I didn't hear the dice rolling every time a battle scene came up).

I found the fast pace fitting, and you were thrown into the middle in a way, without too much explanation, that worked because it was written as such that you started to pick up the information you would have otherwise learned from the previous book along the way without feeling COMPLETELY lost, and while refraining from having long expositions for those (like myself) who didn't read the previous work.

I'm usually somewhat iffy on books that have two or three storylines going on at the same time that they must constantly jump between (because unless they're written superbly, the author will tend to lose the reader along the way), but I found it all right, and it felt organized.

Overall, I found it enjoyable. ( )
  supermoon10 | Sep 2, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall an enjoyable, fast paced read, which has interested me enough to see about getting the first book in the series. Although like most of the genre it follows the standard formula. ( )
  elric17 | Oct 5, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Pretty standard fantasy fare from the creators of Dungeons and Dragons.

the setting is interesting. techno-magical based on the Eberron game setting. Plenty of conflict and action.

Characters are typical RPG archetypes - Ranger, warrior, etc.

Well written with quick plot advancement.

My enjoyment was hindered by not having read the first in the series. ( )
  mi2starsfan | Sep 20, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
James Wyatt’s book, “Dragon Forge”, the second book of the three book trilogy, “The Draconic Prophecies” is a wonderful book that fully delves into the lives of its main characters, Gaven, Haunderk Lannath, Keles and Rienne as they continue their adventure that was started in the first book: Storm Dragon. Published by Wizards of the Coast, Mr. Wyatt does a superb job in detailing the characters, bringing them to life with his story-telling. The plot is good. I will say it is your typical Fantasy Epic with nothing earth shattering or ground-breaking. Travelers go on a quest (although in this case, there are multiple story lines, but not too many to get bogged down in). Travelers encounter danger. Travelers resolve danger. However, new danger arises that will be dealt in the next book. With that said, what makes this book different than most books in this genre is that the writing style is very good. Even though, I haven’t read the first book, I will now and I can’t wait for the conclusion in “Dragon War”. All in all, I give this book 4.5 out of 5 Stars. ( )
  Wiszard | Jun 27, 2008 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was previously unfamiliar with the Eberron world until reading this book and the Storm Dragon (the first book in the trilogy). Honestly I did not expect to like a book based on a D&D created world. I read some Forgotten Realms many years ago, but grew away from them.

With that said, I really enjoyed both Storm Dragon and Dragon Forge. Dragon Forge is a well written, entertaining fantasy book. If you are looking for a Hugo candidate that makes you think deep and is full of social commentary, this isn't the book for you. But, if you are looking for a fun read with interesting, likable characters then I believe you will enjoy this. It does separate itself a little more from the pack with characters that continue to grow; and with some interesting personal dynamics, especially between Gaven and Rienne.

One final note, the book is the 2nd in a trilogy, and ends with very few loose ends tied up. ( )
1 vote dragonb | Jun 26, 2008 |
General Jad Yeven strode into Kelas's study and stood at attention, waiting for his superior's acknowledgment.

A heroic battle to uphold the balance of Eberron®!

Gaven has fulfilled part of the prophecy and become the Storm Dragon. Now he seeks the Draconic Prophecy at its source in Argonessen, the dragon nation--but as he travels towards that ancient continent, Gaven may discover much more than he expected.

Meanwhile, Aundairian loyalists--assisted by a sinister dragon cabal--are assembling the Dragon Forge: an eldritch machine designed to harness the power of a Siberys dragonmark and amplify it. In this case, to create a devastating storm of hail and acid rain to go before Aundair's armies as they march into the Eldeen Reaches. And they know just the dragonmarked to use...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:19 -0400)

Gaven has fulfilled part of the prophecy and become the Storm Dragon. Now he seeks the Draconic Prophecy at its source in Argonessen, the dragon nation, but as he travels towards that ancient continent, Gaven discovers much more than he expected.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

James Wyatt's book Dragon Forge: The Draconic Prophecies, Book 2 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,046,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible