The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan

The Steel Remains (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Richard Morgan

Member:wookiebender
Title:The Steel Remains
Authors:Richard Morgan
Info:Gollancz (2008), Edition: Export Ed, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:source: Better Read

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan (2008)

Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: De la fantaisie noire, avec des sorciers à la volonté impérialiste, des guerres menées par des mercenaires, des révoltes opprimées dans le sang, et un sentiment éternel que de toute façon au final rien ne pourra changer pour le mieux, donc autant essayer quand même.… (more)
    The Iron Wolves by Andy Remic (bj)
    The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (imyril)
    imyril: Two very different authors tackle fantasy stereotypes and subvert them with glee. Abercrombie focuses on antiheroes - the coward, the torturer, the berserker - whereas Morgan takes more traditional heroes and then soaks them in noir. The results are delightfully wicked, blood-soaked and utterly readable.… (more)

English (45)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (47)
In his first fantasy book, Morgan delivers his usual: smart, dark humor; truly sexy graphic sex; an un-romanticized portrayal of the damage done by physical and sexual violence; a willingness to plumb the depths of social issues; and a sympathetic cast of jaded characters with genuine reasons for their feelings of alienation. In these aspects, The Steel Remains was just as good as Market Forces or his Takeshi Kovacs books.

In some other aspects, this book was lacking. Morgan is clearly reinventing the traditional heroic fantasy. However, this book, while dark, still felt too formulaic. My suspicion is that the reader is being set up for a twist later on in the series, but for now I have a lingering sense of disappointment because I was expecting some greater divergences from the genre.

This was still a compelling read (I basically ate the thing over a six hour read) and I look forward to the next book.
  eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |
My full review: http://tenaciousreader.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/the-steel-remains-by-richard-k-m...

I'm debating star rating on this. Beautifully written. Also, loved the ending. These make me want to give it 5 stars. But a few places slowed a bit for me, which might make me bump it to a 4. Either way, great book, would definitely recommend. May update with a full review at some point. ( )
  tenaciousreader | May 24, 2014 |
The main character is gay, but it's not his main personality trait which is fantastic.

The story, once you get into it, is okay, but it is confusing with all names for characters, places, things, and races. It is a fantasy world, so nothing is something I can relate to in order to remember who is whom and what is what. Took about half of the book until I had some control over who I was following of the three "POV" that was present in the book. ( )
  sororicida | Apr 10, 2014 |
Posted to my Livejournal in January 2009:

Morgan is the author of Thirteen and many other science fiction novels, and this is his first fantasy novel, which is quite good in its mix of traditional quest elements, a corrupt political landscape, and contemporary-feeling characters and language. Ringil is a war hero living in a backwater village, where he gets free room and board for telling stories of his legendary deeds and for taking care of the village's occasional supernatural predators. Basically, he's wasting the rest of his life, but that changes when his noble mother arrives and asks him to find one of his cousins, sold into slavery. Because slavery has become legal since the war ended, Ringil's investigations attract the attention of some powerful forces and bring him into contact with two comrades from the war: Egar the Dragonbane, a Majak clan leader; and Archeth, a kiriath half-breed advisor to the Emperor of Yhelteth. They discover evidence that the Aldrain, an otherworldly race supposed to have been driven from the world long ago, have returned to make war. This book has a lot of sex and violence and profanity, but it all fit with the characters and the pretty dark world Morgan created. At the end, there's the suggestion that Ringil may be becoming something he isn't sure is good, and that'll keep me excited for the next book. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
I don't read much fantasy, science fiction or mysteries are more my style of light reading, but Richard K. Morgan's novels have all impressed me. His first fantasy novel is a noir take on a standard fantasy plot, with some interesting additions, like a gay protagonist, a lesbian protagonist and some doubt about whether magic is simply technology so advanced that it might as well be magic. I'm looking forward to the next book in the projected trilogy. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |

Richard Morganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I think you look on death as your friend,' she murmured. 'That is a strange friend for a young man to have.'
'The only faithful friend in this world,' he said bitterly. 'Death is always sure to be at your side.'

Poul Anderson
The Broken Sword
This book is for my father, John Morgan, for carrying me past the seaweed.
When a man you know to be of sound mind tells you his recently deceased mother has just tried to climb in his bedroom window and eat him, you only have two basic options.
"Forget the law. It isn't going to help. They'll cite it where it suits them, ignore it where it doesn't. They're clerics, Archeth. They spend their whole fucking lives selectively interpreting textual authority to advantage."

Emperor Jhiral to Archeth, p.325

A dark lord will rise. Such is the prophecy that dogs Ringil Eskiath—Gil, for short—a washed-up mercenary and onetime war hero whose cynicism is surpassed only by the speed of his sword. Gil is estranged from his aristocratic family, but when his mother enlists his help in freeing a cousin sold into slavery, Gil sets out to track her down. But it soon becomes apparent that more is at stake than the fate of one young woman. Grim sorceries are awakening in the land. Some speak in whispers of the return of the Aldrain, a race of widely feared, cruel yet beautiful demons. Now Gil and two old comrades are all that stand in the way of a prophecy whose fulfillment will drown an entire world in blood. But with heroes like these, the cure is likely to be worse than the disease.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:22 -0400)

Fantasy fiction. Ringil, the hero of the bloody slaughter at Gallows Gap is a legend to all who don't know him and a twisted degenerate to those that do. A veteran of the wars against the lizards he makes a living from telling credulous travellers of his exploits. Until one day he is pulled away from his life and into the depths of the Empire's slave trade. Where he will discover a secret infinitely more frightening than the trade in lives. Anti-social, anti-heroic and decidedly irritated, Ringil, Archeth (pragmatist, cynic and engineer, the last of her race) and Egar Dragonbane (steppe-nomad and one-time fighter for the Empire) are about to be sent unwillingly forth into a vicious, vigorous and thoroughly unsuspecting fantasy world. Called upon by an Empire that owes them everything and gave them nothing. Richard Morgan brings his trademark visceral writing style, turbo-driven plotting and thought provoking characterisation to the fantasy genre and produces a landmark work with his first foray.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,385,647 books! | Top bar: Always visible