The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan

The Steel Remains (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Richard K. Morgan

Member:KimarieBee
Title:The Steel Remains
Authors:Richard K. Morgan
Info:Del Rey (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Wishlist

The Steel Remains by Richard Morgan (2008)

Recently added byprivate library, richard.c.butler, mhofherr, LegoDruid, DL_Orton, bombo23, Magatha, Ciaron_Rider
    Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: De la fantaisie noire, avec des sorciers à la volonté impérialiste, des guerres menées par des mercenaires, des révoltes opprimées dans le sang, et un sentiment éternel que de toute façon au final rien ne pourra changer pour le mieux, donc autant essayer quand même.… (more)
    The Iron Wolves by Andy Remic (bj)
    The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (imyril)
    imyril: Two very different authors tackle fantasy stereotypes and subvert them with glee. Abercrombie focuses on antiheroes - the coward, the torturer, the berserker - whereas Morgan takes more traditional heroes and then soaks them in noir. The results are delightfully wicked, blood-soaked and utterly readable.… (more)

English (49)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (51)
Excellent dark fantasy from Richard Morgan, embracing and (sometimes subtly) subverting familiar tropes (whilst still relying on trademark themes) to deliver something that is almost but not quite grimdark or epic.

Expect jaded heroes, ultraviolence and swearing.

Full review here: https://www.librarything.com/topic/185601#5183440 ( )
  imyril | Jun 12, 2015 |
A fantasy book that simultaneously shatters fantasy clichés as well as portraying the most pathetic of them. An openly gay and prosecuted for it war hero (shattered and clichéd) goes off to save a damsel in distress (cliché) and dark forces awaken and yada yada. Nothing particularly striking and the writing was irrelevant, or so it felt. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
I will say that this was a brutal book. (not to read) Just the story in general. I don't feel that books should not be read by a particular age group, BUT, this is not David Eddings type fantasy. Its not even George Martin fantasy, It stands on its own, and the parent in me finds the explicit sexual encounters not appropriate for the under 18 crowd. (I hate myself for saying that) I did enjoy the story and like how certain themes from our times have been incorporated into it. I enjoyed the medieval theme pared with perhaps some....alien encounters. And despite my being uncomfortable with aspects of the book, I can work past it and see the greater story and am looking forward to the next books in the series. And a side note here, I would love a prequel!! ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
In his first fantasy book, Morgan delivers his usual: smart, dark humor; truly sexy graphic sex; an un-romanticized portrayal of the damage done by physical and sexual violence; a willingness to plumb the depths of social issues; and a sympathetic cast of jaded characters with genuine reasons for their feelings of alienation. In these aspects, The Steel Remains was just as good as Market Forces or his Takeshi Kovacs books.

In some other aspects, this book was lacking. Morgan is clearly reinventing the traditional heroic fantasy. However, this book, while dark, still felt too formulaic. My suspicion is that the reader is being set up for a twist later on in the series, but for now I have a lingering sense of disappointment because I was expecting some greater divergences from the genre.

This was still a compelling read (I basically ate the thing over a six hour read) and I look forward to the next book.
  eaterofwords | Nov 16, 2014 |

Richard Morganprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I think you look on death as your friend,' she murmured. 'That is a strange friend for a young man to have.'
'The only faithful friend in this world,' he said bitterly. 'Death is always sure to be at your side.'

Poul Anderson
The Broken Sword
This book is for my father, John Morgan, for carrying me past the seaweed.
When a man you know to be of sound mind tells you his recently deceased mother has just tried to climb in his bedroom window and eat him, you only have two basic options.
"Forget the law. It isn't going to help. They'll cite it where it suits them, ignore it where it doesn't. They're clerics, Archeth. They spend their whole fucking lives selectively interpreting textual authority to advantage."

Emperor Jhiral to Archeth, p.325

A dark lord will rise. Such is the prophecy that dogs Ringil Eskiath—Gil, for short—a washed-up mercenary and onetime war hero whose cynicism is surpassed only by the speed of his sword. Gil is estranged from his aristocratic family, but when his mother enlists his help in freeing a cousin sold into slavery, Gil sets out to track her down. But it soon becomes apparent that more is at stake than the fate of one young woman. Grim sorceries are awakening in the land. Some speak in whispers of the return of the Aldrain, a race of widely feared, cruel yet beautiful demons. Now Gil and two old comrades are all that stand in the way of a prophecy whose fulfillment will drown an entire world in blood. But with heroes like these, the cure is likely to be worse than the disease.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Fantasy fiction. Ringil, the hero of the bloody slaughter at Gallows Gap is a legend to all who don't know him and a twisted degenerate to those that do. A veteran of the wars against the lizards he makes a living from telling credulous travellers of his exploits. Until one day he is pulled away from his life and into the depths of the Empire's slave trade. Where he will discover a secret infinitely more frightening than the trade in lives. Anti-social, anti-heroic and decidedly irritated, Ringil, Archeth (pragmatist, cynic and engineer, the last of her race) and Egar Dragonbane (steppe-nomad and one-time fighter for the Empire) are about to be sent unwillingly forth into a vicious, vigorous and thoroughly unsuspecting fantasy world. Called upon by an Empire that owes them everything and gave them nothing. Richard Morgan brings his trademark visceral writing style, turbo-driven plotting and thought provoking characterisation to the fantasy genre and produces a landmark work with his first foray.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,444,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible