dismiss

Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already…

Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already Know the Story) (edition 2006)

by Barbara Ensor

In this updated version of the Cinderella story, Cinderella writes letters to her dead mother apologizing for not being more assertive, which she remedies soon after marrying the prince. Readers will delight in following Cinderella through all the usual happenings, presented in a most unusual way. And they'll finally see what becomes of her after she marries the prince. So maybe you should hear the story one last time. Because it's actually way different than you might have thought. Kids who have outgrown picture books and are ready for something longer - but still love illustrated texts - will gravitate toward this Cinderella. Black-and-white silhouettes of everything from the ugly stepsisters to Cinderella's slipper (actual size) are intermingled with Cinderella's letters to her recently deceased mother in this totally original package, written and illustrated by an exciting newcomer to children's books.… (more)
Member:malinablue
Title:Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already Know the Story)
Authors:Barbara Ensor
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2006), Hardcover, 128 pages
Tags:paper cutting, silhouettes, fairy tales and folklore, fairy tales retold, children's literature, illustration, picture books, cinderella, re-interpretations, retellings, fairy tales folklore and mythology, bedroom library

Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already Know the Story) by Barbara Ensor

The Glass Slipper by Eleanor Farjeon (Anonymous user)

I liked this book, it was a cute rendition of Cinderella as though from her point of view as a younger girl. She had letters she wrote to her mother and other such things. It was a really cute quick read. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
I liked this book for several reasons. First I like the writing because it is engaging and the author has Cinderella write letters to her dead mother. For example on page 12 it says, "Dear Mama, I regret to inform you that your husband has married a second time. I don't expect you will be able to read this, but in case you can I did want to be the one to tell you myself. The lady has two daughters who are older then me. To be honest, and don't repeat this to anyone, they seem a little stuck-up, I'm sure everything will work out fine- Dad says it will. Your Daughter 4 ever, Cupcake." Next I like how the author had Cinderella as a character. Cinderella starts off very sweet to her stepsisters and stepmother and does anything they tell her to do and not to mention she loves food and jello-cups. By the end, Cinderella becomes more assertive to them. For example when she became queen, Cinderella let her stepmother stay in the big palace only if she cleaned up after the pigs. The big idea of this book is to remember people will pass around stories about you; however, no one knows the real story but you. ( )
  Jclark36 | Mar 24, 2017 |
In my opinion this is a great book. I liked this book a lot because it followed the same plot of the short version of "Cinderella", but added more parts and was further exaggerated. Although the book was longer and therefore had more parts to it, it didn't make the book seem like it was overly exaggerated, it flowed well. I also liked this book because of the language that was used. The author did a great job of providing a lot of detail that allowed me to picture what was being read. ( )
  dberry6 | Sep 22, 2016 |
I chose to read this book because I love the story of Cinderella and was very excited to read this version, being a chapter book. I really enjoyed the writing style that the author chose to use. Throughout the story there are letters that Cinderella writes to her mother who passed away. The letters that the author developed helps the readers gain insight into Cinderella’s feelings and we get to know her a little more. The story is a little more modern than the traditional version of Cinderella. I believe that the author uses language that I found to be very humorous. For example, in one letter that Cinderella wrote to her mother she said, “P.S. Don’t worry about writing back, I don’t expect miracles of anything.” The author developed the characters using much detail to portray their personalities. While reading, I felt as though I learned a lot about each character especially Prince Charming. The main idea of this story is to retell Cinderella from her perspective. ( )
  mbolle1 | Apr 2, 2015 |
This story is based off of Cinderella but a mixed version then what you are probably used to. Things are changed, different facts are stated on what really happened. I recommend this for girls who have different ways of getting information. ( )
  jkmurray | Jan 31, 2011 |
This is not Walt Disney's Cinderella, or the Little Golden Book. Please don't combine it with them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,648,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible