La última lección DVD (Spanish…

La última lección DVD (Spanish Edition) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Randy Pausch

Title:La última lección DVD (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Randy Pausch
Info:Grijalbo (2008), Edición: Har/DVD Tr, Hardcover, 232 páginas

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (2008)

English (231)  Italian (4)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (240)
Randy Pausch, a computer science prof, who is dying of pancreatic cancer, is offered the chance to deliver his last lecture. This last lecture on achieving childhood dreams gives many insights on how to live your life and leaves a legacy for his children. His witty, humorous style, makes it enjoyable and well worth the read. Read the book and listen to the lecture at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo. ( )
  jwood652 | Oct 7, 2015 |
I love this book, I try to read every year. It is a must to see the lecture, you can find it on YouTube. And since I haven't read it this year, I am going to go start it, right now! ( )
  Pfloyd89 | Sep 22, 2015 |
Not at all what I was expecting. I personally found the author to be arrogant to the point of clouding the message. Every "lesson" chapter was an anecdote about himself imparting a pearl of wisdom to somebody else. He spends very little time (although some, to be fair) paying tribute to the people who influenced him. What I thought, honestly, as a fellow IT professional, was "Wow, I'm glad I didn't go into academia, because I could have turned out like this guy." That is, a pompous, quirky, elitist, hyper-intelligent, no-nonsense, efficiency-obsessed, playful, socialite jerk. Most of his advice is perfectly sound, so barring comment on notions I've already heard elsewhere, here are the two most prescient moments I experienced in his book:

(1) On communitarianism: "If you deeply believe in your right to a jury trial, don't try to get out of jury duty."
(2) On acceptance: "You have to accept the whole me. If you like the part of me that didn't get angry [at your wrecking the car], then you have to accept the frugal part of me that would find it imprudent to get it fixed."

The ending of the book touched me far more than the better part of its bulk, in that it dealt more with his personal story and his resolution with his family and confronting death. I am sure he didn't intend for this to be a book "about dying" by "a dying man" since there are doubtless plenty of those, but that section outshone the rest. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
I went into reading this book knowing the premise and that I would probably need a tissue or two. I did not expect to come out so inspired.
I will definitely be passing around my copy to friends. As well as dressing down my husband for giving it to me before he deployed. (That's just mean, even if it was on my list.) ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
Sorry, while I sympathize with the plight and the loss to his wife and 3 young children, I found it hard to enjoy the writings of this pompous know-it-all who condescendingly deigns to impart his wisdoms to those of us who are not Professors at Carnegie Mellon like he. (a fact he makes sure to point out a dozen times so we do not fail to recognize his unique wisdom.) Of course it is a tragedy that someone so young with everything to look forward to is take from his family, but this book should have been a private letter to his family for his children to read when they attain maturity. I am sorry for him, I am sorry for his family, and I am sorry I wasted so much time on this book ( )
  brucemmoyer | Jun 22, 2015 |

Randy Pauschprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Randy Pauschmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zaslow, Jeffreysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Singer, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With thanks to my parents who allowed me to dream, and with hopes for the dreams my children will have.
I have an engineering problem.
...The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the "other" people. -p 73
Self esteem? He knew there was really only one way to teach kids how to develop it: You give them something they can’t do, they work hard until they find they can do it, and you just keep repeating the process.”
Not everything needs to be fixed.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Audio book - unknown if abridged or unabridged.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141040711X, Hardcover)

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
--Randy Pausch

A lot of professors give talks titled "The Last Lecture." Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can't help but mull the same question: What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy?

When Randy Pausch, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon, was asked to give such a lecture, he didn't have to imagine it as his last, since he had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer. But the lecture he gave--"Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams"--wasn't about dying. It was about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment (because "time is all you have...and you may find one day that you have less than you think"). It was a summation of everything Randy had come to believe. It was about living.

In this book, Randy Pausch has combined the humor, inspiration and intelligence that made his lecture such a phenomenon and given it an indelible form. It is a book that will be shared for generations to come.

Questions for Randy Pausch

We were shy about barging in on Randy Pausch's valuable time to ask him a few questions about his expansion of his famous Last Lecture into the book by the same name, but he was gracious enough to take a moment to answer. (See Randy to the right with his kids, Dylan, Logan, and Chloe.) As anyone who has watched the lecture or read the book will understand, the really crucial question is the last one, and we weren't surprised to learn that the "secret" to winning giant stuffed animals on the midway, like most anything else, is sheer persistence.

Amazon.com: I apologize for asking a question you must get far more often than you'd like, but how are you feeling?

Pausch: The tumors are not yet large enough to affect my health, so all the problems are related to the chemotherapy. I have neuropathy (numbness in fingers and toes), and varying degrees of GI discomfort, mild nausea, and fatigue. Occasionally I have an unusually bad reaction to a chemo infusion (last week, I spiked a 103 fever), but all of this is a small price to pay for walkin' around.

Amazon.com: Your lecture at Carnegie Mellon has reached millions of people, but even with the short time you apparently have, you wanted to write a book. What did you want to say in a book that you weren't able to say in the lecture?

Pausch: Well, the lecture was written quickly--in under a week. And it was time-limited. I had a great six-hour lecture I could give, but I suspect it would have been less popular at that length ;-).

A book allows me to cover many, many more stories from my life and the attendant lessons I hope my kids can take from them. Also, much of my lecture at Carnegie Mellon focused on the professional side of my life--my students, colleagues and career. The book is a far more personal look at my childhood dreams and all the lessons I've learned. Putting words on paper, I've found, was a better way for me to share all the yearnings I have regarding my wife, children and other loved ones. I knew I couldn't have gone into those subjects on stage without getting emotional.

Amazon.com: You talk about the importance--and the possibility!--of following your childhood dreams, and of keeping that childlike sense of wonder. But are there things you didn't learn until you were a grownup that helped you do that?

Pausch: That's a great question. I think the most important thing I learned as I grew older was that you can't get anywhere without help. That means people have to want to help you, and that begs the question: What kind of person do other people seem to want to help? That strikes me as a pretty good operational answer to the existential question: "What kind of person should you try to be?"

Amazon.com: One of the things that struck me most about your talk was how many other people you talked about. You made me want to meet them and work with them--and believe me, I wouldn't make much of a computer scientist. Do you think the people you've brought together will be your legacy as well?

Pausch: Like any teacher, my students are my biggest professional legacy. I'd like to think that the people I've crossed paths with have learned something from me, and I know I learned a great deal from them, for which I am very grateful. Certainly, I've dedicated a lot of my teaching to helping young folks realize how they need to be able to work with other people--especially other people who are very different from themselves.

Amazon.com: And last, the most important question: What's the secret for knocking down those milk bottles on the midway?

Pausch: Two-part answer:
     1) long arms
     2) discretionary income / persistence

Actually, I was never good at the milk bottles. I'm more of a ring toss and softball-in-milk-can guy, myself. More seriously, though, most people try these games once, don't win immediately, and then give up. I've won *lots* of midway stuffed animals, but I don't ever recall winning one on the very first try. Nor did I expect to. That's why I think midway games are a great metaphor for life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:29 -0400)

Reflections of a Carnegie Mellon computer science professor who lectured on "Really achieving your childhood dreams," shortly after having been diagnosed with terminal cancer. His advice concerned seizing the moment while living, rather than dying.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,864,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible