Viimane loeng by Randy Pausch

Viimane loeng (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Randy Pausch, Jeffrey Zaslow, Martin Väli (TÕlkija), Maarja Kaaristo (Toimetaja)

Member:taavim
Title:Viimane loeng
Authors:Randy Pausch
Other authors:Jeffrey Zaslow, Martin Väli (TÕlkija), Maarja Kaaristo (Toimetaja)
Info:Tallinn : Varrak, 2009
Collections:Your library, Loetud
Rating:*****
Tags:elu, filosoofia, eneseabi

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (2008)

English (255)  Italian (4)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (264)
Randy Pausch's last lecture on achieving his childhood dreams was a lecture he really did so that he had something of himself to leave for his children. In it he is personal, thoughtful about things that matter, he dispenses lots of personal advice. The book is a bit like Tuesdays With Morrie with that 'professor who is going to die, reflecting on life and what matters.' Like Tuesdays with Morrie, worth reading.

Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Though Pausch's last lecture video had me in tears, the book did meet my expectations. That said, there were many poignant parts and wonderful anecdotes. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 21, 2017 |
I don't mean to offend, but I can't understand the people who smother this book with overwhelming praise. Was it interesting? Yes, in a sense that looking at a man's life through the eyes of impending death from cancer can be interesting. Was it touching? Sometimes I felt that way. Was it remarkable? I didn't think so.

I think that in the end people will get out of this book what they want to. Some have found it to be mostly a man congratulating himself on his achievements before his last days, others have felt moved by his desire to leave something for his family to remember him by. I think if you understand that this is a book written with that last thing in mind, you can understand why it is a little high on self praise. A lot of people don't want to leave their kids with the legacy of their failures and mishaps. That just isn't uplifting unless it is done exactly the right way. It is much easier to say, “Hey kids, look at what I have done and what my life was like,” in a way that might inspire them to find their own goals and reach for them.

Yes, the author has passed on, but many authors have passed on in my lifetime. Some were great, others were not. I am not going to judge a book by the living or passing of the author, I can only honestly share my experience with the words they left behind. This time, it was just an average day of reading. ( )
  mirrani | Jan 23, 2017 |
Thanks Randy for all the beautiful words. This is indeed a good read, words written from the heart and from life experiences. I feel we can get more out of this book, if we watch the video of the speech first. These fundamentals of life will make our lives better, so let's stop being a critic...

"If you have a question, my folks would say, then find the answer."

"Never make a decision until you have to."

"Just because you're in the driver's seat, doesn't mean you have to run people over."

"Have something to bring to the table, because that will make you more welcome."

"Fundamentals, Fundamentals, Fundamentals."

"When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you anymore, that means they've given up on you."

"I don't believe in the no-win scenario."

"The brick walls are there for a reason. They're not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

"People are more important than things."

"Sometimes, all you have to do is ask, and it can lead to all your dreams coming true."

"Am I a fun-loving Tigger or am I a sad-sack Eeyore? Pick a camp."

"And if she does love you, then love will win out."

"Please don't die." ( )
  Swaroop101 | Jan 23, 2017 |
This little text is chock full of wonderful wisdom and snippets for living well and kindly, passionately, meaningfully. I listened to this on audio and promptly bought the book for a dear friend of mine fighting cancer. This book is for everyone however. We don't need a crisis to wake us up. Dr. Pausch can help us with that. I paid attention to every word of this and would like to listen to it again.

Imagine being an Imagineer! ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |

Randy Pauschprimary authorall editionscalculated
Zaslow, Jeffreysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Singer, ErikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With thanks to my parents who allowed me to dream, and with hopes for the dreams my children will have.
I have an engineering problem.
...The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the "other" people. -p 73
Self esteem? He knew there was really only one way to teach kids how to develop it: You give them something they can’t do, they work hard until they find they can do it, and you just keep repeating the process.”
Not everything needs to be fixed.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 141040711X, Hardcover)

"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand."
--Randy Pausch

A lot of professors give talks titled "The Last Lecture." Professors are asked to consider their demise and to ruminate on what matters most to them. And while they speak, audiences can't help but mull the same question: What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance? If we had to vanish tomorrow, what would we want as our legacy?

When Randy Pausch, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon, was asked to give such a lecture, he didn't have to imagine it as his last, since he had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer. But the lecture he gave--"Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams"--wasn't about dying. It was about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment (because "time is all you have...and you may find one day that you have less than you think"). It was a summation of everything Randy had come to believe. It was about living.

In this book, Randy Pausch has combined the humor, inspiration and intelligence that made his lecture such a phenomenon and given it an indelible form. It is a book that will be shared for generations to come.

Questions for Randy Pausch

We were shy about barging in on Randy Pausch's valuable time to ask him a few questions about his expansion of his famous Last Lecture into the book by the same name, but he was gracious enough to take a moment to answer. (See Randy to the right with his kids, Dylan, Logan, and Chloe.) As anyone who has watched the lecture or read the book will understand, the really crucial question is the last one, and we weren't surprised to learn that the "secret" to winning giant stuffed animals on the midway, like most anything else, is sheer persistence.

Amazon.com: I apologize for asking a question you must get far more often than you'd like, but how are you feeling?

Pausch: The tumors are not yet large enough to affect my health, so all the problems are related to the chemotherapy. I have neuropathy (numbness in fingers and toes), and varying degrees of GI discomfort, mild nausea, and fatigue. Occasionally I have an unusually bad reaction to a chemo infusion (last week, I spiked a 103 fever), but all of this is a small price to pay for walkin' around.

Amazon.com: Your lecture at Carnegie Mellon has reached millions of people, but even with the short time you apparently have, you wanted to write a book. What did you want to say in a book that you weren't able to say in the lecture?

Pausch: Well, the lecture was written quickly--in under a week. And it was time-limited. I had a great six-hour lecture I could give, but I suspect it would have been less popular at that length ;-).

A book allows me to cover many, many more stories from my life and the attendant lessons I hope my kids can take from them. Also, much of my lecture at Carnegie Mellon focused on the professional side of my life--my students, colleagues and career. The book is a far more personal look at my childhood dreams and all the lessons I've learned. Putting words on paper, I've found, was a better way for me to share all the yearnings I have regarding my wife, children and other loved ones. I knew I couldn't have gone into those subjects on stage without getting emotional.

Amazon.com: You talk about the importance--and the possibility!--of following your childhood dreams, and of keeping that childlike sense of wonder. But are there things you didn't learn until you were a grownup that helped you do that?

Pausch: That's a great question. I think the most important thing I learned as I grew older was that you can't get anywhere without help. That means people have to want to help you, and that begs the question: What kind of person do other people seem to want to help? That strikes me as a pretty good operational answer to the existential question: "What kind of person should you try to be?"

Amazon.com: One of the things that struck me most about your talk was how many other people you talked about. You made me want to meet them and work with them--and believe me, I wouldn't make much of a computer scientist. Do you think the people you've brought together will be your legacy as well?

Pausch: Like any teacher, my students are my biggest professional legacy. I'd like to think that the people I've crossed paths with have learned something from me, and I know I learned a great deal from them, for which I am very grateful. Certainly, I've dedicated a lot of my teaching to helping young folks realize how they need to be able to work with other people--especially other people who are very different from themselves.

Amazon.com: And last, the most important question: What's the secret for knocking down those milk bottles on the midway?

Pausch: Two-part answer:
     1) long arms
     2) discretionary income / persistence

Actually, I was never good at the milk bottles. I'm more of a ring toss and softball-in-milk-can guy, myself. More seriously, though, most people try these games once, don't win immediately, and then give up. I've won *lots* of midway stuffed animals, but I don't ever recall winning one on the very first try. Nor did I expect to. That's why I think midway games are a great metaphor for life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:29 -0400)

Reflections of a Carnegie Mellon computer science professor who lectured on "Really achieving your childhood dreams," shortly after having been diagnosed with terminal cancer. His advice concerned seizing the moment while living, rather than dying.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,504,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible