Dream Girl by Lauren Mechling

Dream Girl

by Lauren Mechling

funny, fast-paced chick lit ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
Dream Girl mixes the eerie dream-filled suspense of Wake with the clue cracking mystery of Nancy Drew, and in result, brings you a totally new adventure that will have you flipping page after page.

I’ve heard a lot of so-so things about this one, but I’m one of the people who actually really enjoyed it. Claire, the main character and narrator, is probably one of the most amusing and likeable characters I’ve ever read about. She’s quirky, snarky, and sarcastic but Mechling writes her so incredibly endearing that she has been put on my favorite list of female heroines.

Despite how much I enjoyed it, the story didn’t seem to begin to take off until the very end. A good chunk of the story is spent exploring Claire’s whacky life, the people in it, and the strange cameo necklace that her eccentric grandmother, Kiki, gave her for her birthday. When she begins to have the weird black and white dreams, and she starts to put the clues together, it all feels kind of rushed. I’d say that was about the only thing that irked me.

Dream Girl is humorous, suspenseful and definitely worth the read. If you haven’t checked it out, I definitely recommend it! ( )
  katiedoll | Sep 7, 2010 |
This story is such a fun idea. A girl with a french crazed family, a socialite grandmother and crazy dreams that seem to be visions. It was enough to catch my attention and get me to read it.

First off, I loved Claire! I really enjoyed her sarcastic inner-dialogue. She came off as a "real" fifteen year old. She truly made the story for me. Her whole family was kooky and kinda cartoony and just fun to read about. I also loved Claire's socialite grandma, Kiki. She had me giggling from her craziness at almost every scene she was in. What a fun grandma she would be. I thought Becca was a cool and an original character. She also had me envying her fabulous shoe collection! I enjoyed the friendship between Claire and Becca. It wasn't the cliche best friend relationship.

I had a problem with how the story seemed to drag in the first half. The whole idea with Claire's black and white visions that became more vivid because of a cameo necklace her grandmother gave her was interesting. Especially when Claire tries to find out what the visions are telling her. But it took too long to get to the action. I really didn't get sucked in until the ending.

I also felt there was some inconsistency with the characters. Some characters seemed to be in and out and it was hard to decipher which characters really mattered to the main plot.

I really did enjoy Mechling's light and quirky writing. One of my favorite parts was the wry names of the titles. Names like, "Dr. Quack" and "Rolling out the carpet for #6013V". Dream Girl was kind of a mix of Wake and Nancy Drew. I will probably be reading the sequel, Dream Life, because I want to see what happens to Claire. Hopefully we will see more action in the sequel. ( )
  YAaddict | Mar 25, 2010 |
Dream Life is a charming read that combines the best of both worlds: Nancy Drew and Gossip Girls. Okay so I ran out of analogies. At any rate Dream Life is a mesh of high socialite without all the snarky backstabbing and a mystery that has the decency to don on a gorgeous yet sensible pair of boots before running around New York.

One of the best things I found refreshing from Dream Life was the family relationship. I was pleasantly surprised how much effect Mechling put in to the mother, the father, and the little brother. A majority of books I’ve read have yet to include any mentions of neither siblings nor parents and if they had, it was not to par to his family. Each member is as whimsical as Claire and as every bit as lovable.

Mechling does a wonderful job at foreshadowing as well as not foreshadowing. See the readers go on this roller coaster of random dreams with Claire. So if she’s lost, we’re also pretty much lost. And by that, I mean we get off topic. While I do appreciate the attempt at making things realistic in an otherwise fantasy-like genre it seems as though the story strays from the plot at various moments only to center itself once again like a speeding bullet. Ouch. It is towards the end does much make sense, but by then I had forgotten the dreams and clues all the way from the beginning. That said, it might be me; I mean I’m pretty forgetful and dense rolled into one.

The other main issue would have to be the friendship between Becca and Claire. I had a really hard time accepting this friendship as just that. It seemed more of a follower and leader rather then each of equal footing. Claire is constantly looking up to Becca sometimes letting a bit of her sense be clouded and reducing her to a puppy state of nature aiming to please the master. But then again I began to warm up to the duo and found it a nice partnership. Oh! Just a small little shout-out to Ian for his kick-butt evil radish comic. I can only imagine how awesome it would be if a comic book artist drew a small section of it and somehow manage to weave it in the book.

Overall: Dream Life needed a bit of kick start, but once it started moving it was a wholesome enjoyable read. ( )
  ylin.0621 | Feb 19, 2010 |

CLAIRE VOYANTE HAS been having strange visions ever since she can remember. But the similarity between her name and her talents is purely coincidental. The name is French, and unlike the psychics on TV, she can’t solve crimes or talk to the dead. Whenever Claire follows her hunches, she comes up empty—or ends up in pretty awkward situations.
But that all changes on Claire’s 15th birthday, when her grandmother, Kiki—former socialite, fashion icon, and permanent fixture at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel—gives her something a little more extraordinary than one of her old cocktail dresses: a strange black-and-white onyx cameo on a gold chain. It’s not long before Claire’s world becomes a whole lot clearer. And a whole lot more dangerous.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:16 -0400)

When fifteen-year-old Claire Voyante's grandmother gives her a cameo for her birthday, she starts having dreams that seem to be telling her something that has to do with her new, wealthy friend being in danger.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,497,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible