Slipping into Darkness by Peter Blauner

Slipping into Darkness

by Peter Blauner

129None92,604 (3.53)3

Twenty years ago Detective Francis X Loughlin pushed a seventeen-year, Julian Vega to the breaking point and sent him up for murder of Allison Wallis. Now released from prison with the murder conviction dropped, another pretty, young doctor viciously killed, all fingers point to Julian. when Loughlin arranges for a DNA test, results blow-up in his face. ( )
  Gatorhater | Jun 26, 2013 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. The story was good, with enough uncertainty to the mystery, but something about the characters didn't set quite right. I did think that the picture painted of someone released from prison after 20 years trying to find their way in a new world was excellent. All too believable, I'm afraid. No wonder there are so many repeaters in the prison system. I had some trouble with Julian's character. He was 17 years old, with a full college scholarship when he was arrested and imprisoned. He spent most of his time in prison becoming a jailhouse lawyer, focused on his innocence and potential for release or appeal, and yet when out he is on the verge or real violence almost every moment. I do believe people are hardened in prison, but this was a completely different person even from the person he was while in prison. It was jarring to me. I liked the portrayal of Loughlin, the policeman, better, although I had difficulty "feeling" the language he used with his fellow cops. So, as I said....a bit mixed. ( )
  PermaSwooned | Aug 19, 2012 |
Well done mystery. Good writing and interesting characters and plot. ( )
  dablackwood | Jan 25, 2012 |
Julian Vega has been released from jail on a technicality after 20 years. Like most convicts, he maintains his innocence. He claims he was framed for murder when he was 17. Francis Loughlin, the detective that got his confession is ready for the retrial when a second murder, that mirrors the first one that Vega was punished for, occurs. Did Vega commit murder upon his release or could he be innocent of all charges?

This was an awesome book. I liked that Vega kept his dignity throughout and tried to do the right thing while he was out with some slips here and there. I liked that the book portrayed how difficult it is for ex-prisoners to get started when they are released. Society keeps punishing them - no jobs, no place to live, no financial help, no support...unless you fit into the system's stereotypes. I also liked that Det. Loughlin was real, too, not all good or all bad.

I checked this one out from the library because I like Michael Kramer's narration, and I found a new author. ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Jul 30, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446617474, Mass Market Paperback)

The award-winning, "New York Times" bestselling author of "The Intruder" delivers his most gripping thriller yet: A detective investigating a brutal murder discovers an impossible link to a case he closed 20 years before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:17 -0400)

"Twenty years ago Detective Francis X. Loughlin solved his first huge case. He pushed a seventeen-year-old boy to the breaking point and sent him up for murder. But now there's been another death, another pretty, young doctor viciously killed in her pristine Manhattan apartment - and a startling link to that long-ago conviction." "All fingers point to the convict Julian Vega, no longer so young, out of jail on a technicality, and no longer the eager-to-please youth Loughlin first met in the interrogation room. But this is no open-and-shut case. When Loughlin arranges for a DNA test, the results blow up in his face. Soon there are bulldozers in the graveyard, exhuming twenty-year-old remains and renewing a family's deep-seated mourning. Because there's one thing in this case that Loughlin's now sure of - the blood under the latest victim's fingernails definitely doesn't belong to Julian Vega. It doesn't even belong to a man. It belongs to Allison Wallis, the woman murdered twenty years before." "Two men circle each other from opposite sides of the law. Both have something to prove, both are only too aware of their own limitations."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible