Ninth Grade Slays #2: The Chronicles of…

Ninth Grade Slays #2: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Heather Brewer

Member:br13coen
Title:Ninth Grade Slays #2: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod
Authors:Heather Brewer
Info:Speak (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 278 pages

Ninth Grade Slays by Heather Brewer (2008)

I doubt I have anything constructive to say as far as stories go. Not only do I see the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod as a fun series for teens, especially in middle/high school, but I have a strong emotional attachment too. The entire series can be seen as a statement on being able to love the outcasts and the weird, of which I am. This series brought me out of a very dark place, allowing me to relate to a vampire that shall always have a special place in my heart.

That being said, I make a point to own a copy of both the novels and graphic adaptations, this book being the second release for the series. I've actually noted a few more problems in this release than in the previous word. A misspelling or cluttering a couple words together likethis is ok now and then, but 9th Grade Slays really seemed to need that extra proofreader. The placement of the word bubbles had me question who was saying what in what order more than once and there were a couple times when I think the lines the character were saying were timed wrong or copied from each other by accident, like here:

Vlad: "I trust you too, Vlad. But for a while - I lost that."
Joss: "I trust you too, Vlad. In fact, I've got a secret. A BIG one. One that I'd like to share with you. Is that ok?"

Nothing too major, just something that got a little irksome as I was reading it, the perfectionist that I am, and a note for what I anticipate to be the future release of the 10th Grade Bleeds graphic novel. :D

I'm rating this a 5/5 for my pure love of the book/series as a whole, as I know it is a favorite that will carry with me for years to come (things spice up later in the series, if you've read this book and the previous already and are unimpressed), but realistically it's more of a 4/5 or 4.5/5 because of the word bubble issues. ( )
  MoonSpider | Aug 21, 2014 |
Vladimir Tod is back in Heather Brewer’s follow-up to Eighth Grade Bites. Vlad may be starting high school, but he is still harassed by bullies and getting nowhere fast with his dream girl, Meredith. He and Henry are still tight, but a threat to their friendship is on the horizon – Henry’s cousin Joss is moving to town and Vlad is afraid they may not get along. Fortunately Joss turns out to be cool and (when he rescues Vlad from the bullies) a handy friend to have. But then Vlad learns from Uncle Otis that a vampire slayer has been hired to track him and, even worse, Joss and Meredith are beginning to like each other! When an old enemy reappears and Joss shares a dangerous secret with his new friend, Vlad discovers Ninth Grade Slays.

Heather Brewer continues to delight with the characters of Vlad, Henry and Aunt Nelly while adding in the unpredictable Joss. I really liked Joss and how his friendship with Vlad developed. It seemed natural for them to bond, since they were essentially outsiders with common interests in video games and pretty girls. It was unfortunate that they both had a liking for Meredith as well, and found out how easily a girl could come between them. I was totally surprised by the secret Joss was hiding and saddened that it endangered their friendship even more.

Vlad also begins to learn more about his powers as a vampire in Ninth Grade Slays, and a visit with an old friend of his father’s helps him strengthen his abilities. It was interesting to see how other vampires lived, and how their beliefs differed from the way Vlad was raised by Nelly. Vlad truly feels his human side, and is just as excited playing his “Race to Armageddon 2″ video game as learning how to control minds (mostly Henry’s). Unfortunately, his blood-sucking urges are beginning to strengthen as well, and there are hints that bagged blood may not be enough to satisfy them. However, Vlad is determined that a biter of humans is not the type of vampire he wants to be.

As he continues to research his father and to learn more about vampires, Vlad discovers the legend of a vampire who would be born not made and would eventually rule all vampire kind – The Pravus. And many believe Vlad just may be it. Brewer begins to add another level to the series with the introduction of this legend and Vlad’s possible part in it. It looks like this is going to be the thread tying the rest of the books together, and I look forward to seeing how it plays out. Between the slayer out to kill him and the legend of the Pravus, Vlad’s story is starting to take a darker, more serious turn.

I still enjoy the way Vlad, Nelly and Henry work to disguise Vlad’s vampiric nature but (as Vlad and Henry find out) something as simple as bringing lunch to school is not without peril. It is also fun to see what a teenage boy Vlad is, with raids on the kitchen for snacks and blood and sneaking off to movies such as “Psycho Slasher Chainsaw-Guy from Hell” (I love that title!) with Henry. These moments add humor to the story and emphasize Vlad’s human side.

Ninth Grade Slays is the entertaining second installment of Heather Brewer’s “Chronicles of Vladimir Tod” series. Our favorite characters return and are joined by a new favorite in the form of Joss. The author continues with her natural, breezy style in a book that is appropriate for younger teens to adults, but the story takes on a darker tone in the final chapters indicating Vlad’s life is about to become even more complicated. I can hardly wait to see how Tenth Grade Bleeds. ( )
  eomalley | Apr 13, 2013 |
The tale of Vlad the teenage vampire continues. I am still pleasantly surprised at this series. It is not bad! The storyline is interesting, the characters are likable and it just simply works. A great book for teen boys but my tween daughter is reading the series and really likes it also - so good for both boys and girls. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 9, 2013 |
A good follow up to the first book, but it took a little (lot) too long to actually get into the action. There was lots of build up, but only very little at the climax and no real "mini climaxes" before that. ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 11, 2012 |

9TH GRADE SLAYS

Vlad wants to get the girl of his dreams Meredith Brookstone. He has more important things to worry about. There is a slayer after him and some other people finding out he might be a vampire. He’s worried his best friend might hang out with his cousin coming into town more than hanging out with him. Vlad finding out that Henry who is Vlads best friend, his cousin is trying to get Meredith behind his back. Vlad is having a lot of issues to deal with. The biggest of them all is that he finds out his biggest enemy is back!
I found this book amazing! There is rarely a part in the book where i get bored. There is lots of action parts that are very descriptive. Heather Brewer did a nice job with the series so far. Since this book was so good i will continue reading her series ( )
  br13coen | Oct 4, 2012 |
Jasik gripped the photograph in his hand and scanned the face of the boy. Except for his pale complexion and clever eyes, no one would suspect the teen was anything other than human. But Jasik knew differently.

If middle school stunk for Vladimir Tod, high school is a real drain. Besides being a punching bag for bullies, he’s still stalled with dream girl Meredith, and he’s being tailed by a photographer from the school newspaper. Needless to say, practicing his vampire skills hasn’t exactly been a priority for Vlad — until now. A monumental trip to Siberia with Uncle Otis is Vlad’s crash course in Vampire 101.

Training alongside the most gifted vampires is exactly what Vlad needs to sharpen those mind-control skills he’s been avoiding. And he’d better get it right, because the battle brewing back home with the slayer who’s been stalking him could be Vlad’s last.

Freshman year stinks for Vlad Tod. Bullies still harass him. The photographer from the school newspaper is tailing him. And failing his studies could be deadly. A trip to Siberia gives ?study abroad? a whole new meaning as Vlad connects with other vampires and advances his mind-control abilities, but will he return home with the skills to recognize a vampire slayer when he sees one? In this thrilling sequel to Eighth Grade Bites, Vlad must confront the secrets of the past and battle forces that once again threaten his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:37 -0400)

While half-vampire Vlad, his best friend Henry, and Henry's cousin Joss make their way through their freshman year at Bathory High, a hired vampire slayer seeks to destroy Vlad.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,781,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible