The Wind's Twelve Quarters by Ursula K. Le…
Recently added byrubberpaw, private library, ckadams5, tripofmice, ttuckerman, cindywho, EmmaKG, mothshade

English (25)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (27)
This was on my list because I had read that there was a short story connected to her novel, the Dispossessed. There were some lovely science fiction stories with some phrases that made me smile. Her "psychomyths" I didn't enjoy as much. I like how she consistently uses the device of time loss that comes with space travel. I probably read this book of short stories years ago and forgot them all, but now they seem more meaningful to me. More Ursula, please. (June 01, 2004) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Many of the stories in this collection are excellent, while some are only good. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" totally deserved the Hugo award it won. Reading "The Rule of Names" made me want to go back and read the Earthsea books again. "The Stars Below" reminded me of Germinal. Overall, it's a very good collection, and also shows Le Guin's progression as a writer, since there are some early stories of hers at the beginning. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Ursula K. Le Guin is an acknowledged master writer in fantasy and science fiction for a reason, even more so, she is a writer who excels beyond the limitations of those genres. 'The Wind's Twelve Quarters' collects Le Guin's "seventeen favorite stories" circa 1975 and tracks her development as a published author over the previous decade.

The only novels I've read by Le Guin so far have been the original 'Earthsea' trilogy, a work I've always thought was overemphasized. I've read many of her stories, and have a copy of 'The Left Hand of Darkness' in waiting to read, and so far I've been amazed at her talents and her imagination.

The Earthsea trilogy had a lot of interesting ideas, the scale hinted at behind 'Tombs of Atuan' gave me chills when I first read it, but overall there didn't seem to be enough there. In her stories, however, her ideas and characters loom large.

In this collection there are early glimpses of Earthsea as well as two stories set within her Hainish future timeline. It is the two final stories that make the collection however, placed at the end due to the time written but as extra emphasis on Le Guin's mastery of her craft. "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" and "The Day Before the Revolution" are haunting and enlightening.

In the introductions to each story Le Guin often commented on her differences from other Science Fiction and Fantasy writers - her methods don't simply explore what-ifs and the impact of technology or magic, but the psychological affects of such things. It is there that Le Guin proves herself the equal of other celebrated authors outside the scope of genre. Too often are certain authors pigeonholed into categories and not allowed to expand, and too often is shoddy writing excused because it is for a genre audience. Le Guin proves better than all that. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I prefer the earlier stories, and my favourite is "Semley's Necklace", which in many ways I like much more than the novel it spawned, "Rocannon's World". ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 27, 2017 |
Le Guin's writing tranfers well to short stories. The last few stories were weak but passable. She definitely has a vision and the universe that evolved under her pen expreses it well. Not afraid of the darkness but always looking toward the light. ( )
  JBreedlove | Nov 23, 2016 |

Le Guin, Ursula K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
bergen, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rambelli, RobertaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thole, KarelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waugh, BrianCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From far, from eve and morning
And you twelve-winded sky,
The stuff of life to knit me
Blew hither; here am I.

Now--for a breath I tarry
Nor yet disperse apart--
Take my hand quick and tell me,
What have you in your heart.

Speak now, and I will answer;
How shall I help you, say;
Ere to the wind's twelve quarters
I take my endless way.

A. E. Housman: A Shropshire Lad
FOREWORD

This collection is what painters call a retrospective; it gives a roughly chronological survey of my short stories during the first ten years after I broke into print, belated but undaunted, at the age of thirty-two.
How can you tell the legend from the fact on those worlds that lie so many years away?—planets without names, called by their people simply The World, planets without history, where the past is the matter of myth, and a returning explorer finds his own doings of a few years back have become the gestures of a god.
"He had been trying to measure the distance between the earth and God."
While the eBook edition published by HarperCollins in 2017 (ISBN 9780062471031 0062471031) is subtitled "A Story", it is indeed the complete co9llection.

Contains:

# The Rule of Names

# Winter's King

# The Good Trip

# Nine Lives

The recipient of numerous literary prizes, including the National Book Award, the Kafka Award, and the Pushcart Prize, Ursula K. Le Guin is renowned for her lyrical writing, rich characters, and diverse worlds. The Wind's Twelve Quarters collects seventeen powerful stories, each with an introduction by the author, ranging from fantasy to intriguing scientific concepts, from medieval settings to the future.

Including an insightful foreword by Le Guin, describing her experience, her inspirations, and her approach to writing, this stunning collection explores human values, relationships, and survival, and showcases the myriad talents of one of the most provocative writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

Seventeen short stories reveal the author's sustained concern with human relationships and values in past and future worlds of fantasy, speculation, and unearthly provision.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,613,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible