The Wind's Twelve Quarters by Ursula K.…
Member:anglemark
Title:The Wind's Twelve Quarters
Authors:Ursula K. LeGuin
Info:Bantam Books (1976), Upplaga: paperback / softback, Paperback
Collections:Your library, Rekgenerator, Read by J
Tags:short stories, fantasy, science fiction

The Wind's Twelve Quarters by Ursula K. Le Guin

English (22)  French (1)  All languages (23)
Her earliest stories, and she was still sorting some stuff out; worth reading because she writes so well, and for the excellent introductions to the stories. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Mar 25, 2016 |
Foreword
"Semley's Necklace" (standalone prologue to Rocannon's World)
"April in Paris"
"The Good Trip"
"Nine Lives"
"Things"
"A Trip to the Head"
"Vaster than Empires and More Slow"
"The Stars Below"
"The Field of Vision"
"Direction of the Road"
"The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"
"The Day Before the Revolution"
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
A nice collection of stories that explore the depth of humanity and human emotion. Many of the stories took a while to read, since they moved slowly and covered deep issues, sometimes causing me to slow down and think before I could continue, and once to cry. 'Those Who Walk Away From Omelas' always causes me pain when I read it, and with the baby sleeping innocently beside me, it affected all the stronger, because that child had her face as I read.

A good collection, and many important ideas are covered, but not one that will become a favorite, tattered copy as some anthologies are, collected at the bottom of various field packs and day packs. This is something a bit more like research, held on the library shelf by those searching for answers to life. ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
Just stunning. Some stories in this collection (particularly "April in Paris") speak more to me than others, but the language is so precise and dazzling that even the darker tales are a pleasure to read. The premises are imaginative too, especially since LeGuin, as she says in her introduction and headnotes, doesn't do typical fantasy and science fiction, and thankfully she cares more about characters and relationships than fancy spells and spiffy gadgets. As with Ray Bradbury, the only reason I won't rush off and read more is because I can only digest so much rich prose at a time. ( )
  bostonian71 | Oct 4, 2015 |
A story in this volume, "The Day Beforre the Revolution," was a prizewinner. ( )
  clifforddham | Aug 29, 2015 |
From far, from eve and morning
And you twelve-winded sky,
The stuff of life to knit me
Blew hither; here am I.

Now--for a breath I tarry
Nor yet disperse apart--
Take my hand quick and tell me,
What have you in your heart.

Speak now, and I will answer;
How shall I help you, say;
Ere to the wind's twelve quarters
I take my endless way.

A. E. Housman: A Shropshire Lad
FOREWORD

This collection is what painters call a retrospective; it gives a roughly chronological survey of my short stories during the first ten years after I broke into print, belated but undaunted, at the age of thirty-two.
How can you tell the legend from the fact on those worlds that lie so many years away?—planets without names, called by their people simply The World, planets without history, where the past is the matter of myth, and a returning explorer finds his own doings of a few years back have become the gestures of a god.
"He had been trying to measure the distance between the earth and God."

Contains:

# The Field of Vision

# Direction of the Road

# The Ones Who Walks Away from Omelas

# The Day Before the Revolution

The recipient of numerous literary prizes, including the National Book Award, the Kafka Award, and the Pushcart Prize, Ursula K. Le Guin is renowned for her lyrical writing, rich characters, and diverse worlds. The Wind's Twelve Quarters collects seventeen powerful stories, each with an introduction by the author, ranging from fantasy to intriguing scientific concepts, from medieval settings to the future.

Including an insightful foreword by Le Guin, describing her experience, her inspirations, and her approach to writing, this stunning collection explores human values, relationships, and survival, and showcases the myriad talents of one of the most provocative writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,523,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible