World's End by Joan D. Vinge

World's End (1984)

by Joan D. Vinge

Series: The Snow Queen Cycle / Tiamat (2)

The Summer Queen by Joan D. Vinge (trixtah)
    trixtah: The Summer Queen picks up from where World's End leaves off, and describes what happens to the world of Tiamat once the stardrive is rediscovered.
    The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge (trixtah)
    trixtah: World's End is the sequel to The Snow Queen, and features BZ Gundhalinu

This is the second and (apparently - if the reviews I've read are correct) very overlooked book in the Snow Queen cycle.

It does not take place on Tiamat or really deal much with Tiamat. The main character is BZ, an inspector on Tiamat who loses his honor in his very strict culture, and tries to find it again.

He goes on a mission to rescue his brothers after becoming obsessed with the fact that they're missing, and what happens is a mystery and deep character study, with a generous helping of descent into madness. There's more information about the sybil network, which is the best part of the storyline, in my opinion, which I think warrants reading as long as you know that this story is linked to, but not anything like, Snow Queen.

It's a good story, and a good short novel. Unfortunately it suffers from coming after an epic and huge novel/story, so it feels like a bit of a letdown. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
A sequel to The Snow Queen that focuses on what happens to BZ Gundhalinu after he leaves Tiamat. His life is not what it should be; he misses Moon painfully, and in his own society he is an outcast because he is a failed suicide. In an effort to recapture his sense of himself, he journeys to World's End, a hellish backwater planet, where his two brothers have disappeared. Along the way, a sibyl named Hahn recruits him to locate her daughter, Song, while he searches for his brothers. What follows is a descent into madness and finally redemption, as BZ is effectively reborn.

This book is, as near as I can figure, out of print, which is unfortunate. I've been told that it's not a problem to go straight from The Snow Queen to The Summer Queen, and that the events in World's End are summarized in Summer Queen. This is probably true (I haven't read Summer Queen yet), but since BZ became one of my favorite characters in Snow Queen, I am pleased and grateful to have found this book at my local used bookstore. It's a great story in its own right, and a great chapter in the saga that began with The Snow Queen. ( )
  Crowyhead | Jan 18, 2006 |

Joan D. Vingeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The mind of man is capable of anything--because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future."
--Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
"Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange."
--William Shakespeare, The Tempest
For Jim,
my dearest friend and severest critic...
who made me follow this journey to its end.
"Shall I bring the prisoners to your office, Inspector?" the voice from his desk speaker asked him.

Hot on the heels of The Summer Queen, this novel is a must-read for fans of Vinge's Hugo Award-winning series. BZ Gundhalinu, a policeman who became an outcast after saving the future Summer Queen, quits his job to follow his ne'er-do-well brothers into the godforsaken waste, World's End, to prospect. BZ's odyssey will set the stage for The Summer Queen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,112,480 books! | Top bar: Always visible