The Clue of the Leaning Chimney (Nancy Drew,…

The Clue of the Leaning Chimney (Nancy Drew, Book 26) (original 1949; edition 1949)

by Carolyn Keene

Member:horsecat101
Title:The Clue of the Leaning Chimney (Nancy Drew, Book 26)
Authors:Carolyn Keene
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1949), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 192 pages

The Clue of the Leaning Chimney by Carolyn Keene (1949)

English (4)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (6)
I really noticed some stand out traits of Nancy's in this mystery: she has faults, but they are usually in service of the mystery (she gets lost in thought and ignores people, she gets carried away searching and forgets someone, etc.), and Nancy does get afraid, but she doesn't allow fear to overrun her. Additionally, one of my favorite things about these books is that you always learn something new. It's often presented in a sort of "Well, gee, kids let's learn about ___ today," which doesn't bother me but might make others roll their eyes. In this mystery we get to learn some about Chinese culture including written characters and ceramics. Unfortunately, as this is a product of it's time, there's quite a few moments that made me cringe: a post office employee says all Chinese people look the same, for example. In general, Nancy and her friends seemed to be as culturally sensitive as one could ask for from a book written in the 60s. ( )
  ilikeike | Oct 11, 2018 |
I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. Anytime my mom and I would go to antique stores, we'd peruse the Nancy Drews and add them to the collection (oftentimes my mom had to make deals with me on how many I could buy). So, while I don't remember the exact details of each and every one, the entire series was amazing and really fed my love for reading (especially novels full of suspense and mystery). Thank you, Carolyn Keene, for giving us an intelligent female character to fall in love with in Nancy Drew! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
#26 Nancy Drew and her friend Bess discover that a rare and valuable Chinese vase has been stolen from the pottery shop of Dick Milton, a cousin of Bess. Dick had borrowed the vase from his Chinese friend, elderly Mr. Soong, and he is determined to repay Mr. Soong for the loss. He tells Nancy that if he can find “the leaning chimney,” he will be on the track of a discovery which will solve his financial problems. Nancy finds the leaning chimney, but it only leads her into more puzzles. Can there be any connection between the vase theft – one of a number of similar crimes – and the strange disappearance of the pottery expert Eng Moy and his daughter Lei? ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 22, 2017 |
Guest appearances by Togo, Nancy's dog and Eloise Drew, Nancy's aunt. Their are terms that may not sit well with the reader, ex: Chinamen, That Chinese, Not Oriental yet I wanted to learn more about the Ming dynasty, Chinese pottery and pottery overall. ( )
  seki | Dec 27, 2014 |
"Oh, Nancy, this road is so lonely! And here we are with all this money. It'd be awful if it were stolen!"

As a result of an encounter with a sinister stranger on a lonely country road, Nancy Drew and her friend Bess Marvin discover that a rare and valuable Chinese vase has been stolen from the pottery shop of Dick Milton, a cousin of Bess.
Dick had borrowed the vase from his Chinese friend, elderly Mr. Soong. He is determined to repay Mr. Soong for the loss and tells Nancy that if he can find "the leaning chimney," he feels he will be on the track of a discovery which will solve his financial problems.
Nancy finds the leaning chimney, but it only leads her into more puzzles. Can there be any connection between the vase theft - one of a number of similar crimes - and the strange disappearance of the pottery expert Eng Moy and his daughter Lei?
Join Nancy and her friends in their exciting adventures as they unravel all the twisted strands of this intriguing mystery.

A rare Chinese vase is stolen from a pottery shop. Nancy and the owner of the shop feel that locating "the leaning chimney" will provide the clue to the vase and other stolen articles.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,581,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible