How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of…

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Nigella Lawson

1,153167,062 (4)7
Member:lismail
Title:How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food
Authors:Nigella Lawson
Info:Chatto & Windus (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:food, cooking, cookery, food writing, british cookery

How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food by Nigella Lawson (1998)

Recently added byGlennis.LeBlanc, miezetatze, private library, Davidl32, christinefyfe, jadepearl, fefferbooks

Great cookbook. Simple food, well-written recipes. No photographs, as this was written before Ms Lawson became a television celebrity, and all the better for it. ( )
1 vote KimMR | Apr 2, 2013 |
Lekker leesboek en lekker kookboek. Veel ideeën voor allerlei gerechten en alternatieven. Aanrader
  mariesor | Oct 26, 2012 |
This book must be amazing if you're english, or even american, because it teaches you to cook the basics of traditional english cuisine.
Since I'm portuguese, and our food is a bit different, I didn't find it very useful. It didn't bring many new ideas, though it has loads of italian and french recipes, which are more alike what I usually cook.
Sometimes it has too many details and ingredients I can't buy anywhere.
I thought this book was about eating good food, but almost everything in it is fried in butter (or any kind of grease). And then she tells you to throw the oil down the sink.

It's a let down, her TV shows are far better! ( )
  Eilantha_Le_Fay | Sep 4, 2011 |
Nigella's first book. I can only give it three stars because although the content is worth reading, the typography is illegible and that makes it difficult. I don't cook out of this book very often. ( )
  calcakestall | Mar 11, 2010 |
Gorgeous book, and the writing is mesmerising - I often just read How to Eat for the pleasure of the 'sound' of Nigella's voice in the writing. A basic Roast Chicken (and later the BEST version of roast chicken in Tagliatelle with Chicken from the Venetian Ghetto), The World's Best Chocolate Ice Cream really is. There are lots of simple recipes for feeding children, and heaps of budget ideas (my Marsala costs just a couple of dollars) along with the more fancy menu options. Stews, soups, lunches, dinners, sweets, it's all delicious and there are SO many recipes! I've cooked from How to Eat more times than I can count, yet, I think after all these years, I have only scratched the surface. I love that I am still discovering new dishes. ( )
1 vote Coby | Sep 13, 2009 |
In memory of my mother, Vanessa (1936-1985) and my sister Thomasina (1961-1993) and for John, Cosima and Bruno wirh love
Cooking is not about just joining the dots, following one recipe slavishly and then moving on to the next.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0470173548, Paperback)

"Cooking is not about just joining the dots, following one recipe slavishly and then moving on to the next," says British food writer Nigella Lawson. "It's about developing an understanding of food, a sense of assurance in the kitchen, about the simple desire to make yourself something to eat." Lawson is not a chef, but "an eater." She writes as if she's conversing with you while beating eggs or mincing garlic in your kitchen. She explains how to make the basics, such as roast chicken, soup stock, various sauces, cake, and ice cream. She teaches you to cook more esoteric dishes, such as grouse, white truffles (mushrooms, not chocolate), and "ham in Coca-Cola." She gives advice for entertaining over the holidays, quick cooking ("the real way to make life easier for yourself: cooking in advance"), cooking for yourself ("you don't have to belong to the drearily narcissistic learn-to-love-yourself school of thought to grasp that it might be a good thing to consider yourself worth cooking for"), and weekend lunches for six to eight people. Don't expect any concessions to health recommendations in the recipes here--Lawson makes liberal and unapologetic use of egg yolks, cream, and butter. There are plenty of recipes, but the best parts of How to Eat are the well-crafted tidbits of wisdom, such as the following:

"Cook in advance and, if the worse comes to the worst, you can ditch it. No one but you will know that it tasted disgusting, or failed to set, or curdled or whatever."

On the proper English trifle: "When I say proper I mean proper: lots of sponge, lots of jam, lots of custard and lots of cream. This is not a timid construction ... you don't want to end up with a trifle so upmarket it's inappropriately, posturingly elegant. A degree of vulgarity is requisite."

"Too many people cook only when they're giving a dinner party. And it's very hard to go from zero to a hundred miles an hour. How can you learn to feel at ease around food, relaxed about cooking, if every time you go into the kitchen it's to cook at competition level?"

--Joan Price

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:52 -0400)

Set in New York City, Trust the man finds two disillusioned couples facing the collapse of their relationships. Things seem to go from bad to worse as they encounter and explore adultery, separation, the single's scene and even stalking. Trust the man shows just how desperate two men can be and to what lengths they will go to get back the women they love.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,670,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible