Pale Male by Janet Schulman

Pale Male (2008)

by Janet Schulman

86None139,386 (3.76)1
Recently added byprivate library, Phiyenv, Tables, mapalumbo, elfschild, ngwiaz1, goingmb, mgrimmett, angel11398
    City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male by Meghan McCarthy (raizel)
    raizel: Interesting to compare approaches to the same facts.
    The Tale of Pale Male by Jeanette Winter (raizel)

This book is beautifully-illustrated and provides a detailed account of Pale Male, though it might not be a pristine example of non-fiction. ( )
  Tables | Jan 29, 2014 |
This wonderfully illustrated book tells the story of a red-tailed hawk living in an urban setting. The watercolor illustrations of Mielo So include wonderful hues of earthy reds, browns, and greens. Out of the three books that I read about Pale Male, this one by Janet Schulman was the most poetic. It would be a great book to discuss with a 4th to 6th grade class. Voices of the preservationists, apartment owners, and even the federal government can be explored from what Schulman has included in the book. Controversies present, like the preservationists versus apartment dwellers, could be analyzed as well as the controversies not discussed.

Although most readers would agree that the apartment dwellers are the real bad guys in this story, I would have liked Schulman to voice their stance on living below such a publicly watched animal. The author also straddles the line of anthropomorphism in her descriptions of birds having self-respect and pride in their wing flapping. Nonetheless, this is a great book with a hopeful mood and positive ending. I think I will go looking for some hawks next time I am in Manhattan! ( )
  mapalumbo | Jan 28, 2014 |
I wasn't sure how I felt about this book when I finished reading it. I thought that the illustrations were really unique in a sense that the hawk was drawn in every page and clearly made visible. Without reading the text the reader could assume that the story is about a special hawk. In addition, the illustrations really brought out the beauty of New York City. The colors of the trees, people, buildings, all made the story enjoyable. I also especially liked how the pictures took up the whole pages except for the text. It gave a full view of the outdoors and it supported why the hawk liked New York City so much. I thought it was interesting that the author decided to write about the hawk phenomenon that came form New Jersey in 1991. I wasn't too interested in the story, I think the author used too much text. I feel that there were details that could have been left out of the story, however, since it is historical fiction, I see where the author is coming from.
I feel that the main idea of this story is fight for what you believe in and stick up for others. When the owners moved Pale Male's nest, the citizens protested and expressed their love for this bird. It was a remarkable story and almost unbelieveable until the hawk is seen at the end, hovering over the people. I really did like the ending and the overall story after I was finished reading it. I would recommend it to others. ( )
  ngwiaz1 | Oct 28, 2013 |
One of three picture-books devoted to the story of New York City's resident raptor - the other two are Jeanette Winter's The Tale of Pale Male: A True Story, and Meghan Mccarthy's City Hawk: The Story of Pale Male - Janet Schulman's Pale Male: Citizen Hawk of New York City is the most detailed of the lot, and is one I would recommend to slightly older readers. Beginning with the young red-tailed hawk's arrival in Central Park - a common stop-over for migrating birds - the narrative covers his various attempts at starting a nest, his residence on top of one of Manhattan's most exclusive apartment buildings (overlooking the park), the many eyasses he and his mates have raised over the years, and the controversy surrounding his temporary 'eviction' from his home.

Despite living in the New York area, and being well aware of Pale Male and his history - my mother is a great fan, and was simply beside herself, when his nest was torn down - I learned a few new things in Schulman's book. I was not aware, for instance, that Pale Male had been nominated as "Father of the Year" by a CBS news commentator! Meilo So's artwork, done in watercolor and colored pencil, was just lovely, capturing the beauty of both the hawks, and their city home. As mentioned above, this was a more textually dense telling, than the other two picture-books devoted to Pale Male's story, so I would recommend it to young bird lovers who are a little more advanced in their reading, or who can sit still for, and absorb more complex narratives. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 2, 2013 |
New Yorkers become fascinated with Pale male as he transitions into different seasons. Follow Pale Male's story as he ends up finding a place to nest and create a family. I also enjoyed the illustrations and the illustrator's take on New York and its buildings and scenery.
  krystalkay | Nov 3, 2012 |
One crisp autumn day in 1991, a red-tailed hawk flew across the Hudson River from New Jersey.
Then in 2003, during a time when many conservation and wildlife laws were being relaxed by President George W. Bush's administration, the Migratory Bird Treaty was changed.

Taking down the nest seemed like such a heartless act coming from people living in their well-feathered nests.

The birdwatchers of Central Park were buzzing–a young red-tailed hawk had been spotted, would he stay? The bird they dubbed Pale Male not only stayed, he became one of New York City’s most famous residents. Pale Male and his mate built their nest near the top of one of Fifth Avenue’s swankiest apartment buildings. Nine years and 23 chicks later, Pale Male’s fame had grown so large that a CBS newsman named him Father of the Year! But Pale Male was less beloved by the residents of the building, and in 2004 the owners suddenly removed the nest–setting off an international outcry on behalf of the birds.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:35 -0400)

A red tail hawk and his mate build their nest near the top of a Fifth Avenue apartment building and bird watchers gather hoping to see the chicks in the nest.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible