Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Bad Science (edition 2009)

by Ben Goldacre

Member:paulmorriss
Title:Bad Science
Authors:Ben Goldacre
Info:HarperPerennial (2009), Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

Bad Science: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks by Ben Goldacre

Trick or Treatment: The Undeniable Facts about Alternative Medicine by Simon Singh (edwbaker)
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan (gward101)
    Delusions of Gender: How Our Minds, Society and Neurosexism Create Difference by Cordelia Fine (wandering_star)
    Flim-Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns and other Delusions by James Randi (MyriadBooks)
    Three Steps to the Universe: From the Sun to Black Holes to the Mystery of Dark Matter by David Garfinkle (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: Although they write about astronomy rather than medicine, the authors share Goldacre's interest in process and methodology as well as results; they make how we know what we know in the field a primary concern and are interested in giving their readers the tools to avoid pseudoscience and bogus "sciencey" claims.… (more)
    Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (Rynooo)
    Counterknowledge: How We Surrendered to Conspiracy Theories, Quack Medicine, Bogus Science and Fake History by Damian Thompson (bertilak)
    The Duck that Won the Lottery by Julian Baggini (vguy)
    vguy: Goes into greater depth on a selected number of issues (eg Homeopathy, MMR vaccine). Helps one understand scientific method, specifically blind controlled randomised trials. For all that, an amusing and popular approach.
    Flat Earth News: An Award-Winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media by Nick Davies (peter_vandenbrande)
    Denying Science: Conspiracy Theories, Media Distortions, and the War Against Reality by John Grant (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: Why does bad science get so much exposure?
    Yes, We Have No Neutrons: An Eye-Opening Tour through the Twists and Turns of Bad Science by A. K. Dewdney (bertilak)
    How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life by Thomas Gilovich (preater)
    De cholesteroloorlog waarom geneesmiddelen zo duur zijn by Dirk Van Duppen (peter_vandenbrande)

English (86)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (88)
A companion volume to Bad Pharma, or vice-versa. Fun, but not enough science in it. ( )
  themulhern | Nov 12, 2017 |
audiobook, crooks, education, greed, medical, nonfiction, reference, science, social-issues, whispersync, fraud

A detailed reminder to verify claims and rationality of products that are aimed at desperate people reaching for an answer and finding snake oil instead. Very well worthwhile read.
Jonathan Cowley does come off rather pedantic, but that does not diminish the value of the material. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Oct 25, 2017 |
My aim here is by no means to suggest that antioxidants are entirely irrelevant to health. If I had a T-shirt slogan for this whole book, it would be: 'I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that'.

There is lots of information both fascinating and shocking in this book, about subjects including homoepathy, the MMR vaccine, the placebo effect, big pharma, detoxing, antioxidants, misleading scientific papers, and 'science correspondents' who know nothing about scientific method.

I came away determined to ignore science stories in the newspapers and on television from now on, as they can't be trusted in any way. I'll continue reading New Scientist and start reading Ben Goldacre's site, http://www.badscience.net/. ( )
  isabelx | Aug 25, 2017 |
A little too dense, but I liked the chapters on the detox patch (having been fooled once before! but at least it was just a cheap one I bought from Daiso, for fun) and especially Chapter 5, about the Placebo Effect. A lot of the cases mentioned on the Radiolab episode were here, plus a few more. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Some needless attacks on humanities graduates, but aside from that excellent! ( )
  BenMH1 | Jan 15, 2017 |
To whom it may concern
Let me tell you how bad things have become.
The aim of this book is that you should be future-proofed against new variants of bullshit.
La salute, il timore di perderla, la ricerca di ogni mezzo per conservarla sono ossessioni ricorrenti, coltivate dai canali pubblicitari attraverso un bombardamento quotidiano di consigli, ricette, soluzioni spesso imprecise, talvolta fuorvianti o dannose. Contro la disinformazione interessata, la fiducia ingenua, i rischi dell'ignoranza, questo libro propone un rimedio: la consapevolezza. Ben Goldacre non si limita a svelare menzogne e verità manipolate, ma racconta come sia facile cadere preda di questi inganni e, soprattutto, come sia possibile evitarlo. Di fronte ai pericoli della cattiva scienza, questo libro è il manifesto, divertente, spietato e appassionato, di una scienza buona.
(piopas)

Everyone has their own 'bad science' moments, encompassing everything from the useless pie charts on the back of cereal boxes to the use of the word 'visibly' in cosmetics adverts. Full of spleen, Ben Goldacre takes the reader on a hilarious, invigorating and informative journey through the world of bad science.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible