Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Bad Science (edition 2008)

by Ben Goldacre

Member:fakelvis
Title:Bad Science
Authors:Ben Goldacre
Info:Fourth Estate (2008), Edition: 4th Printing, Paperback, 352 pages
Rating:****1/2

Bad Science: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks by Ben Goldacre

Trick or Treatment: The Undeniable Facts about Alternative Medicine by Simon Singh (edwbaker)
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan (gward101)
    Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine (wandering_star)
    Flim-Flam! Psychics, ESP, Unicorns and other Delusions by James Randi (MyriadBooks)
    Three Steps to the Universe: From the Sun to Black Holes to the Mystery of Dark Matter by David Garfinkle (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: Although they write about astronomy rather than medicine, the authors share Goldacre's interest in process and methodology as well as results; they make how we know what we know in the field a primary concern and are interested in giving their readers the tools to avoid pseudoscience and bogus "sciencey" claims.… (more)
    Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (Rynooo)
    Counterknowledge: How We Surrendered to Conspiracy Theories, Quack Medicine, Bogus Science and Fake History by Damian Thompson (bertilak)
    The Duck that Won the Lottery by Julian Baggini (vguy)
    vguy: Goes into greater depth on a selected number of issues (eg Homeopathy, MMR vaccine). Helps one understand scientific method, specifically blind controlled randomised trials. For all that, an amusing and popular approach.
    Flat Earth News: An Award-Winning Reporter Exposes Falsehood, Distortion and Propaganda in the Global Media by Nick Davies (peter_vandenbrande)
    Denying Science: Conspiracy Theories, Media Distortions, and the War Against Reality by John Grant (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: Why does bad science get so much exposure?
    Yes, We Have No Neutrons: An Eye-Opening Tour through the Twists and Turns of Bad Science by A. K. Dewdney (bertilak)
    How We Know What Isn't So: The Fallibility of Human Reason in Everyday Life by Thomas Gilovich (preater)
    De cholesteroloorlog waarom geneesmiddelen zo duur zijn by Dirk Van Duppen (peter_vandenbrande)

English (88)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (90)
An engaging read and another upgrade to your bullshit detection meter. Goldacre makes the case with his informal but crystal-clear prose style for just how abysmal the public understanding has become on the subjects of medical science, nutrition, and risk assessment. The sections on how medical procedure and drug studies are manipulated to provide support for pseudoscience and large pharmaceutical companies were fantastic, and I found his chapter on applied statistics lucid and easy to follow. Best of all were the moments when I could feel Goldacre's incandescent outrage seeping through his prose, especially when discussing Matthias Rath, the MMR vaccine scare, and what passes for health and medical journalism in the USA and UK. Bracing.

To quote the author:

If I had a T-shirt slogan for this whole book, it would be "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that."

Well put, and reading this book will have you picking apart the credulous stories you read in blogs, in the newspaper, hear from others... ( )
  picklefactory | Jan 16, 2018 |
Highly recommend the chapters about Statistics and about HIV/AIDS treatment in South Africa -- would rate those chapters a 5. The rest of the book was in need of better editing and less pomposity. ( )
  lycaenidae | Jan 2, 2018 |
A companion volume to Bad Pharma, or vice-versa. Fun, but not enough science in it. ( )
  themulhern | Nov 12, 2017 |
audiobook, crooks, education, greed, medical, nonfiction, reference, science, social-issues, whispersync, fraud

A detailed reminder to verify claims and rationality of products that are aimed at desperate people reaching for an answer and finding snake oil instead. Very well worthwhile read.
Jonathan Cowley does come off rather pedantic, but that does not diminish the value of the material. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Oct 25, 2017 |
My aim here is by no means to suggest that antioxidants are entirely irrelevant to health. If I had a T-shirt slogan for this whole book, it would be: 'I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that'.

There is lots of information both fascinating and shocking in this book, about subjects including homoepathy, the MMR vaccine, the placebo effect, big pharma, detoxing, antioxidants, misleading scientific papers, and 'science correspondents' who know nothing about scientific method.

I came away determined to ignore science stories in the newspapers and on television from now on, as they can't be trusted in any way. I'll continue reading New Scientist and start reading Ben Goldacre's site, http://www.badscience.net/. ( )
  isabelx | Aug 25, 2017 |
To whom it may concern
Let me tell you how bad things have become.
The aim of this book is that you should be future-proofed against new variants of bullshit.
La salute, il timore di perderla, la ricerca di ogni mezzo per conservarla sono ossessioni ricorrenti, coltivate dai canali pubblicitari attraverso un bombardamento quotidiano di consigli, ricette, soluzioni spesso imprecise, talvolta fuorvianti o dannose. Contro la disinformazione interessata, la fiducia ingenua, i rischi dell'ignoranza, questo libro propone un rimedio: la consapevolezza. Ben Goldacre non si limita a svelare menzogne e verità manipolate, ma racconta come sia facile cadere preda di questi inganni e, soprattutto, come sia possibile evitarlo. Di fronte ai pericoli della cattiva scienza, questo libro è il manifesto, divertente, spietato e appassionato, di una scienza buona.
(piopas)

Everyone has their own 'bad science' moments, encompassing everything from the useless pie charts on the back of cereal boxes to the use of the word 'visibly' in cosmetics adverts. Full of spleen, Ben Goldacre takes the reader on a hilarious, invigorating and informative journey through the world of bad science.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible