Untamed: A House of Night Novel by P. C.…

Untamed: A House of Night Novel (edition 2009)

by P. C. Cast, Kristin Cast

Member:Samantha07
Title:Untamed: A House of Night Novel
Authors:P. C. Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Press (2009), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages

Untamed by P. C. Cast

English (86)  German (1)  All languages (87)
I think this is the best book in the series tell now! it has everything! I am dying to see what will happen next to Zoey and her friends!! the Cast team rock!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I think this is the best book in the series till now! it has everything! I am dying to see what will happen next to Zoey and her friends!! The Cast team rock!! ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This 4th installment of the House of Night series was a good continuation of the series. I anxiously await the 5th in the series.

I do have to say that I'm getting a little worried - how many books will there be in this series?! This is the 4th book and I think 3 months have passed. Yeesh. The main character is only a sophomore...This could be a decades long wait for her to finish high school. ;) ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
This is the part where I have to pretend there’s a plot to summarise… due to the machinations of Cyna and Mavrynthia and Merriska and I am doomed to reading 4 of these books, in 4 weeks.

There is not enough booze in the world

Ok, Zoey is feeling isolated with her friends turning on her – which is a problem because have several prophecies. One that predicts the rising of a dark and terrible force – and one which predicts Zoey’s death if she is alone

She needs to rebuild some bridges quickly

There’s another element of these books that is increasingly annoying me – the authors seem to think their readers are fools, blithering fool without a scrap of reasoning who need everything explaining veeeerrrryyy slooowly and veeerrryyy carefully and over and over to make sure it sinks in. This is why the book is so full of recapping, every element of the last book repeatedly hashed over not as Stand Alone Stuffing, but because the authors seem to have that little opinion of the intelligence of their readers. We see the same thing when the characters discuss a “cryptic” prophecy. The meaning of it is obvious, I mean really really really obvious. It’s impossible that any characters, especially purportedly intelligent characters, couldn’t have easily interpreted it in second. But instead the characters describe it and work it out in ludicrously excessive detail to explain it to the readers – there’s no assumption of even basic reader intelligence to work things out on their own or even realise the obvious. It had to be spelled out step by step in ridiculous detail.

It makes the book – already slow and lacking in any real development or action – even slower and more painful to read

And can we address that element as well? Nothing happens! Not until the very end of the book when Zoey and gang finally bravely run away. All through the book they just kind of hang around and mope. I would say they were developing their relationships or resolving conflicts or making plans – but none of that is true. Because they don’t.

It’s not like there AREN’T conflicts but they don’t take effort to resolve. All her friends hate her? That takes two paragraphs to resolve. Aphrodite doesn’t know where she stands? A paragraph. A prophecy to interpret? Takes pages but zero effort. We have a trip to a feral cat shelter which achieves… well… nothing, it’s just there. We have lots and lots and lots of circle casting with little achievement. Hand wringing about Stevie-Rae without any real advancement or thought. There’s no effort or drive or difficulty it all works out

Part of which is due to Nyx, the Irritable Bowel Goddess. Whenever Zoey has a choice to make or a question to answer or needs reassurance or surety then Nyx appears. Bodily manifesting this time along with all the feelings she gives Zoey whenever she has any questions. What’s hilarious is that this book also has Nyx talking about free will – but Zoey has no decision making agency of her own, she exists to be a puppet to the goddess who then draws the line about intervening elsewhere.

And while I’m on terrible plotting and this weird weird goddess and her idea of gifts – let’s look at Stark, Zoey’s newest love interest with his completely ridiculous archery power. His “gift from the goddess” giving him the magical power to always hit what he wants to. And by “want to hit” what it actually means “whatever cryptic nonsense that a malicious trickster can twist your words into.” Here’s an example – Stark wants to shoot the centre of a tree. Another word for centre is, kind of, “heart”. And in some mythology the “heart” of a tree belongs to a creature of being near it. So guess what he hits? That’s not a super power, that’s a bow possessed by Loki. Every time he draws an arrow it’s completely random whatever he will hit

For more hilarity - not only does he have NO CONTROL over what he hits since any passing thought can have his power decide "hey, you're hungry? You wouldn't be hungry if my arrow went back in time and KILLED YOUR MUM! MUAHAHA" or some other nonsense but he is also compelled to practice his archery. Not only is this sheer evil, but it's laughably pointless - if you have the woo-woo power to NEVER MISS then practice is redundant.

For added nonsense - Zoey keeps calling the forced love interest "mysterious." Despite the fact the guy info dumps his entire life story within 2 pages of meeting him. This is not mystery. It does mean the inevitable I'm-not-spoiling-but-do-you-care? tragedy that hits can be ALL ABOUT ZOEY'S FEE-FEEs. Oh screw spoilers, the man confesses his damn adoration for Zoey on his death bed after two days. Two. Count them! One, Two, Love, Dead. Gods give me patience because if you have me strength I'd break something

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Dec 30, 2015 |
I love the serial.
added by omacahuang | editTaiwan

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, KristinAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
This one is for the students, past and present, of South Intermediate High School in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. Thanks for your enthusiasm, sense of humor, and support for the series. SIHS is the best!

Also for the ladies of Tulsa Street Cats. They're not nuns, but they do qualify as cat saints!
The caw! caw! cawing! of one stupid crow kept me up all night.
(p 192)

It is the cause, it is the cause, my soul;
let me not name it to you, you chaste stars,
it is the cause. I'll not shed her blood,
nor scar that whiter skin of hers than snow…
(p 193)

…I know nowhere is that Promethean heat
that can thy light relume. When I have pluck'd thy rose,
I cannot give it vital growth again,
It needs must wither. I'll smell thee on the tree.
(p 193)

I must weep, but they are cruel tears. This sorrow's heavenly,
it strikes where it doth love. She wakes.
(p 203-204)

Ancient one sleeping, waiting to arise
When earth's power bleeds sacred red
The mark strikes true; Queen Tsi Sgili will devise
He shall be washed from his entombing bed

Through the hand of the dead he is free
Terrible beauty, monstrous sight
Ruled again they shall be
Women shall kneel to his dark might

Kalona's song sounds sweet
As we slaughter with cold heat
(p 210)

Ancient one sleeping, waiting to arise
When earth's power bleeds sacred red
The mark strikes true; Queen Tsu Sgili will devise

Life sucks when your friends are pissed at you.

Just ask Zoey Redbird – she’s become an undisputed expert on suckiness. In one week she has gone from having three boyfriends to having none, and from having a tight-knit group of friends who trusted and supported her, to being an outcast.  And the worst part is, she knows it’s her own fault.  Speaking of friends, the only two Zoey has left are undead, unMarked, and unable to stop bickering with each other.  So who can blame her for befriending the House of Night’s newest transfer student, the majorly hot Olympic archer, James Stark?

Meanwhile, Neferet has declared a war on humans after it appears that the People of the Faith have murdered two vampyres.  But Aphrodite’s latest visions show a world completely different from the High Priestess’s promises, a world full of violence, hatred, and darkness, all because of Zoey’s death—and the only way it seems she can prevent it from happening is to make things right with her friends.  Zoey knows in her heart that fighting with humans is wrong. But will anyone listen to her?  Zoey's adventures at vampyre finishing school take a wild and dangerous turn as loyalties are tested, shocking true intentions come to light, and an ancient evil is awakened in PC and Kristin Cast's spellbinding fourth House of Night novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:59 -0400)

Life sucks when your friends are pissed at you. Just ask Zoey Redbird - she's become an expert on suckiness. In one week she has gone from having three boyfriends to having none, and from having a close group of friends who trusted and supported her, to being an outcast. Speaking of friends, the only two Zoey has left are undead and unMarked. And Neferet has declared war on humans, which Zoey knows in her heart is wrong. But will anyone listen to her? Zoey's adventures at vampyre finishing school take a wild and dangerous turn as loyalties are tested, shocking true intentions come to light, and an ancient evil is awakened in PC and Kristin Cast's spellbinding fourth House of Night novel.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,465,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible