Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

A little bird is looking for it's mother and comes across animals along the way and asks, "Are you my mother?" At the end she finds her mother and they go back to the nest. I really enjoy the repetition of the question, "Are you my mother?" By the second time the children are already asking the question before I start to to read it. This book is appropriate for 3 year olds and older.
  Jessie32 | Sep 14, 2014 |
This book is about a young bird that gets lost and doesn't know who his mother is. He asks many different kinds of animals, but none of them are his mother. Finally he finds his mother and knows right away. This book is very sweet and teaches young children that there is someone out there who loves them and that everyone has a mother. ( )
  KristinHopwood | Sep 10, 2014 |
Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear. I had to read them first. I remember this one well. Pretty good, although not the best. Cute pictures, though. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books to read to my children and is a must read for my 2 year old son at least a few times a week. Through this short piece, you will follow a baby bird as he has hatched just a little early and sets off to find his mother. In the end, he knows her when he finds her. It is such a sweet story that always gets me a few extra hugs at the end. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 17, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about a baby bird that is trying to find his mother. The baby bird hatched while his mother was out finding food so he did not know what his mother looked like. He went from place to place asking various animals and inanimate objects if they were his mother. He finally gets put back into his nest by a crane and his mother returns.

Personal Reaction: I love this book, because this book was read to me when I was a child. It is a fun book to read and be read to.

Classroom Extensions: 1) I could read this book to the children and then have them draw a picture of their mother and describe her. 2) I could do a lesson over what to do when you get lost. Teach them not to talk to strangers. ( )
  SmithAlec | Jul 5, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible