Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

4,505None1,069 (4.03)69
animals (219) baby (30) Beginner Books (31) bird (54) birds (178) board book (86) children (124) children's (235) children's book (28) children's books (34) children's fiction (34) children's literature (59) classic (32) Dr. Seuss (179) early reader (29) easy reader (64) family (219) fiction (216) hardcover (36) juvenile (23) kids (40) lost (59) mother (128) mothers (126) own (22) picture book (220) read (24) rhyming (33) Seuss (84) Spanish (23)

Good book for early readers. ( )
  ARamirez33 | Mar 30, 2014 |
You can probably tell that I am currently back in Adelaide since a bunch of children's books are now appearing on my read list. As my brother has kept all of the books from our childhood (and since I did read them at the time) I thought it might be good to go through them again and write commentaries on them (as I did the last time I was in Adelaide). Okay it does end up inflating my list of books that I have read, but as I said, I had actually read them, and they are books, so I believe that they are fair game (and I have seen others also post kids books up on Goodreads).
This is the story of a young hatchling going on a quest to find his mother. Basically his mother goes off to get some food, and when he hatches, he ends up falling out of the tree, walks right by his real mother, and ends up going and asking a bunch of other creatures (and machines) whether they are his mother. It is funny (not ha-ha funny) that the first creature he meets is a cat, though I would have expected that a cat (even a kitten) to jump on this bird and attempt to rip his head off. However, this is a children's book (written in 1960) so I suspect that there is a reason why the hero of this story did not die (which would have made a pretty short book, not that it isn't short anyway). ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Feb 28, 2014 |
I liked this book for many reasons. One reason I liked this story is because of the characters. I think that the baby bird's character was very well-developed. The baby bird's determination to find his mother was made extremely apparent. For example, he cannot fly but he falls from the tree to go look for her, and then goes to several animals and even a truck to ask if they are his mother. Another reason I liked this book was because of the writing. I like how the author used repetition because it makes it possible to predict what he will say next. For example, every time the baby bird comes to a different animal the first thing he asks is, "Are you my mother?" I also like that it reviews who the baby bird has asked. For example, after finding out that the dog was not his mother, it says, "The kitten was not his mother, the hen was not his mother, the dog was not his mother, so the baby bird went on." I believe that the message this story is trying to portray is the strong, everlasting bond between a mother and her child. ( )
  kbarge1 | Feb 18, 2014 |
Are you my Mother used to be one of my favorite books when I was younger. This book is fun-loving and a cute story that I would read constantly at a young age. The author uses illustrations throughout the book to help tell the story of the little bird. It shows pictures of each of the animals and objects that the little bird thinks is his mother. Right when the little bird starts to get discouraged there is a happy ending when the machine puts him back into his nest. I enjoyed that the point of view was from the little bird because we could absorb the little birds emotions on his journey of finding his mother. Every time the little bird knew he didn't find his mother you couldn't help but to feel a sad for him but the end when his mother flies to the nest the reader feels happy. ( )
  mooste2 | Feb 10, 2014 |
In the picture book, “Are You My Mother?” by P.D. Eastman a baby bird is born while his mother is away from the nest. The baby bird goes through several different animals and machines asking if they are his mother to no avail. Finally, the baby bird gives up and finds himself back in the nest which he was born with his mother awaiting him. This story was a modern fantasy book that would be appropriate for children in grades 1 or 2 who are just beginning to read. I say this because many phrases and words are repeated like “Are you my mother?” and the names of the animals. This will be very helpful to younger students as they can become comfortable with the worlds as they are constantly seeing it over and over again. Also, the pictures corresponded to the animals which is helpful to younger students if they get stuck on the names they can use context clues. I found this to be a very good and entertaining book. While at times it seemed very predictable to me, I believe that young children would find this suspenseful and want to keep reading to find out if baby bird finds his mother. I believe that constantly having the question “are you my mother?” helps show that baby bird is determined to get what he wants and that in turn pulls the reader into the book. Beyond entertainment, humor, and suspense, this book showed that if you want something bad enough and try hard enough and persevere to get it you can obtain that goal. This is a good lesson to teach to children who beginning to think about things they want. ( )
  CarolinePfrang | Feb 5, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,439,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible