Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

Summary:
This children's book, "Are you my Mother?", is about a little bird who hatches his egg before his Mother is back at the nest. The little bird wants to find its mother so he hops out of the nest and begins his quest asking each animal he encounters is they are his mother.

Review:
I used to adore this book when I was younger. The theme of this book I think is what I loved the most. The theme is about bonding and connecting with your mother. This story shows you that family will always be there for them. Very well written book for children. ( )
  mnorth2 | Oct 21, 2014 |
The main idea of this book was to follow a baby bird as it desperately searched for it's mother. I enjoyed this book because I liked the plot and illustrations. The rising action, climax, and resolution components of the plot were easy to follow. The conflict is that the baby bird cannot find it's mother so it goes out searching for it's mother. The climax of the story is when the baby bird grows extremely discouraged and feels it will never find it's mother. The resolution occurs when the "snort" puts the baby bird in the nest and mother is waiting for the baby.
I enjoyed the illustrations of this text and feel they assisted in the comprehension of the story. In the first illustration the mother bird is wearing a scarf on her head. This shows the reader that she is a female. The illustrations also match the content of the page they appear on. For example, "out came the baby bird" contains an illustration of the egg cracking and the baby bird hatching. ( )
  jessicaedelman | Oct 20, 2014 |
  astinchavez | Oct 16, 2014 |
This classic Dr. Seuss book is about a baby bird who can't find his mother. The bird asks many different animals and objects if they are his mother. It is quite comical and a little frustrating to read as the bird continues to ask everything but his mother. Children will enjoy the illustrations and the silly things the baby bird asks. In the end, the mother comes back to the baby bird with a worm. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Oct 2, 2014 |
Are You My Mother?
“Are You My Mother?” by P.D. Eastman is a classic in my home. It has been read to all my boys and you can’t help but to get caught up in the animation. This book creates interaction as the bird goes on a journey looking for his Mom. The little bird repeats the question “are you my mother” throughout the story giving opportunity to interact and help read the book. The plot keeps the reader in suspense as he continues to search and asks many animals and objects such as the dog, the cow, the car and even the snort if they are his mother. The illustrations are simple throughout the book and capture the main point of the text on each page. The text is large print and incorporates many site words for young readers to be able to read; however, the story remains engaging. The big idea of this story is Mom always comes back. ( )
  areyno5 | Sep 25, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,555 books! | Top bar: Always visible