Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

This book is an easy reader trade book that follows the Dr. Seuss series. It is a book about a baby bird on the search for his mother. His mother left the nest to go and find food. The baby bird encounters a dog, hen, cat, cow, boat, plane, etc. This book is also a predictable book because of the phrase “are you my mother?” It repeats all the animals the baby bird has encountered on each page. While the baby bird is on the search for his mother when he encounters a construction machine, which he calls a “snort.” The baby bird is scared of the snort until it helps the baby bird get back to his nest. This book helps kids realize that first impressions do not always explain everything. The bird was scared of the machine until it helped him out. The illustrations in this book are pretty simple. They are colored in sketches. A teacher could use this book to talk about mother/child relationships. It also teaches kids not to judge a book by its cover. ( )
  gtaft4 | Oct 1, 2015 |
ARE YOU MY MOTHER? is a book about a brand new baby bird who falls out of his nest looking for him mother. He went looking all around him and while he was searching for his mother, he came across many animals that weren’t his mother in any way, shape, or form. He finally meets his mother after being lifted up to his nest high up in the trees. The pictures in this story are very simple, without a scenery behind the characters. This is a fun aspect as it is easy to focus on and look at rather than needing to look and search for all of the details needed to understand a story, it is right in front of the reader. There is repetition in this book, which is good for young learners as they begin to learn how to read. ( )
  rharrington30 | Sep 29, 2015 |
I love this book because it is a classic children's book which I grew up with. Almost everyone can relate to the book. It is an easy read/ beginning reader. The illustrations are colorful and fun, and the book itself it touching.
The book begins with a bird sitting on her nest. The mother leaves to find food for her soon to hatch egg. Right as the mother leaves, the egg hatches and out comes the baby bird say "Are you my mother"? The baby bird goes on a series of adventures looking for its mother. he comes across a hen, a kitten, a dog, a cow even airplane. Finally the bird finds his mother.
This book can be used as a teaching tool to help point out how different animals and objects are obviously not your mother, but it some circumstances, your mother may be different than you. Most readers will be able to relate to this book, and hopefully find it fun and touching as they go through the adventures of finding the birds mother. ( )
  tnelson12 | Sep 22, 2015 |
Are You My Mother? is also another one of my childhood favorites. It is another easy read for students with picture to help decode the text. I like this book because it is told in the point of view of the baby bird. After the baby bird is born, it does not know where his mother went. The baby bird decided to take it upon himself to find her. To do this, he goes up to everyone like the little, the dog, the chicken and asks "Are you my mother?". They simply say no and he goes on his way. He even sees objects such as a boat and plane to ask if they too are his mother. Before he knows it, his journey is over and he is lead back into his nest, safely with his mother. This book shows different emotions such as feeling lost when the baby bird could not find housemother, feeling empty when the baby bird thought he did not have a mother anymore, and happiness/ relief when he finally found his mother.
  brittanyyelle | Sep 15, 2015 |
I love books that allow my students to practice sight words we are learning. This is the perfect book to teach "are" and "you". Are confuses the students because they picture the letter "R". It's also a great way to discuss what a question and answer is. My kindergartners always think this book is silly and its a fun way to integrate our science unit on animals into literacy, especially when we have little chicks hatching in our incubators! ( )
  lmckenzie | Aug 29, 2015 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:14 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,763,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible