Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

4,902142938 ()75

I really enjoy this book. I feel this book is great for the grades K-2. The story uses repetition of "Are you my mother?" throughout the book. The use of Repetition is a key component in teaching children words/phrases. Another reason why I love this book is the use of illustration. Each page has the image of a little bird on one and another animal on the other. This is great to show compare and contrast with the bird. The illustrations also show great expression in the animals. For example, the little bird asks a kitten "Are you my mother?" the picture shows a confused expression in the kittens face. The central message and big idea of this book is to never give up searching and you will find your loved one. ( )
  kfrey4 | Feb 17, 2015 |
This is a fantasy book. This is a very good book for young children who are just beginning to read. This book is about a little bird who lost his mother and goes out on a hunt to find her. I think this is a good book for young kids because it is very intriguing as the whole time reading you are wondering if he will find his mom! ( )
  kfrost32 | Feb 9, 2015 |
This modern fantasy book tells the story of a little bird, who goes around looking for his mother. He asks many different animals if they are his mother. He finally finds his mom. This book is also in Spanish. ( )
  BayleeWestrick | Jan 26, 2015 |
This is a very well known book about a bird who has lost her mother and on a search for her. In the process of searching for her she runs into several other animals and is wondering if they are her mother. After talking to sevral animals and asking everyone of them if they were her mother, she finally finds her mother. This book would be good to teach and discuss with your students sequencing and elements of a story. This book would also be great for Kindergarteners since they are trying to get into the groove of elementary school and leaving their parents and especially mother every day. ( )
  lfasce1 | Dec 1, 2014 |
This was my absolute favorite book as a child. The pictures are the plot, and keep the reader interested in the story. When the baby bird finds a construction machine, it makes noise and is great entertainment for the reader. It is sweet and heart warming at times, especially when the mother and baby are finally united. The plot flows evenly and easily, while also developing the baby bird’s character really fully. The big idea is a baby finding his mom. ( )
  tburfe1 | Nov 11, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,693,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible