Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

I love this book because it is a classic children's book which I grew up with. Almost everyone can relate to the book. It is an easy read/ beginning reader. The illustrations are colorful and fun, and the book itself it touching.
The book begins with a bird sitting on her nest. The mother leaves to find food for her soon to hatch egg. Right as the mother leaves, the egg hatches and out comes the baby bird say "Are you my mother"? The baby bird goes on a series of adventures looking for its mother. he comes across a hen, a kitten, a dog, a cow even airplane. Finally the bird finds his mother.
This book can be used as a teaching tool to help point out how different animals and objects are obviously not your mother, but it some circumstances, your mother may be different than you. Most readers will be able to relate to this book, and hopefully find it fun and touching as they go through the adventures of finding the birds mother. ( )
  tnelson12 | Sep 22, 2015 |
Are You My Mother? is also another one of my childhood favorites. It is another easy read for students with picture to help decode the text. I like this book because it is told in the point of view of the baby bird. After the baby bird is born, it does not know where his mother went. The baby bird decided to take it upon himself to find her. To do this, he goes up to everyone like the little, the dog, the chicken and asks "Are you my mother?". They simply say no and he goes on his way. He even sees objects such as a boat and plane to ask if they too are his mother. Before he knows it, his journey is over and he is lead back into his nest, safely with his mother. This book shows different emotions such as feeling lost when the baby bird could not find housemother, feeling empty when the baby bird thought he did not have a mother anymore, and happiness/ relief when he finally found his mother.
  brittanyyelle | Sep 15, 2015 |
I love books that allow my students to practice sight words we are learning. This is the perfect book to teach "are" and "you". Are confuses the students because they picture the letter "R". It's also a great way to discuss what a question and answer is. My kindergartners always think this book is silly and its a fun way to integrate our science unit on animals into literacy, especially when we have little chicks hatching in our incubators! ( )
  lmckenzie | Aug 29, 2015 |
This story is about a baby bird who hatched while his mother was away. He fell out of the tree and searched for her. He went on a journey to find his mother. He crossed the paths of many animals a kitten, a hen, a dog, a cow etc. He also asked a boat and a car and a plane. HE could not find his mother in a strange series of events. The baby bird ended up back in his nest where his mother returned and he was happy that he had finally found his mother.

Personal: I enjoyed the book a lot, it kind of reminded of the idea of what we don't have at home we will search for elsewhere. I enjoyed it, it was a very good read.

Extension: This book could be used in child therapy groups for children who have lost a mother or a parental figure. Children could name some of the people they look up to and they could talk about what makes their guardians special. ( )
  M_Graham | Jul 3, 2015 |
Love this book. Essential for all babies to have read to them. ( )
  iamryancorcoran | May 12, 2015 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:14 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,699,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible