Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

the first book I read out loud! Had to prove to my mother at age 3 that I could read. She made me pick a book I hated to prove it to her. It's still on my bookshelf at home. ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
This story is about a baby bird. His mother, thinking her egg will stay in her nest where she left it, leaves her egg alone and flies off to find food. The baby bird hatches. He does not understand where his mother is so he goes to look for her. As he cannot fly, he walks, and in his search, he asks a kitten, a hen, a dog, and a cow if they are his mother. They each say "No.". ( )
  A_Ozoglu | Dec 2, 2015 |
It is a classic that should be in every child's library. ( )
  shelbewelbee | Nov 15, 2015 |
I liked this book! I may be biased as well because I generally love all stories Dr. Suess. I like the message. I believe that it shows diversity in that the little bird, duck, etc. didn't discriminate in the type of species when asking who his mother was. I think the language was clear and simple. It Is age appropriate as well.
  sbanke1 | Nov 10, 2015 |
A mother bird is away from her nest and the egg hatches. The baby birds first words are, "Where is my mother?" The little bird jumps out of the nest and tumbles down to the ground and begins looking for his mother. Since he doesn't know what his mother looks like he begins by asking different animals, "Are you my mother?" ( )
  ma839 | Nov 7, 2015 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:14 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,182,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible