Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

4,738131990 (4.04)73

summary:The book is about a small bird that hatches from its egg wondering where her mother went.She begins the adventure to find her mother.She soon travels everywhere asking everything she sees "Are you my mother?" she ask various types of animals, and even a truck. Towards the end of the story she stumbles upon the nest, and finds her mother there after looking for her all day.

Personal reflection: i think this book is great for young children, it is simple and easy to read and the picture follows the story line very well. It has repetition that kids could pick up on. i personally think that it is a very cute story.

Classroom Extension: I would give the students a long piece of paper and have them divide into threes and have the write beginning middle and end.I will have the students tell me in each section what happened in the story.
  pambam_11 | Sep 17, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a good children’s book. The first reason why I like this book is because of the simple repetition. Repetition makes reading easier for younger children. In this story, the baby bird goes on a hunt to find his mother. He asks everyone and everything that he meets “Are You My Mother?” This phrase is repeated throughout the book. The next reason why I liked this book is because it keeps the reader interested. This is key for a children’s book. What keeps the reader interested is whether or not the little bird will find his mommy. The readers become concerned when the little bird falls out of the nest and whether they will reconnect with their mother or not. I also liked this book because of the illustrations. The illustrations make reading and understanding the book much easier. When the little bird asks a dog if she is her mother, the illustration shows a big dog (like on the cover). When the little bird sees a car and an airplane, there is an illustration of both of them. The main message of this book is about bonding with your mother, and family. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
A little bird is looking for it's mother and comes across animals along the way and asks, "Are you my mother?" At the end she finds her mother and they go back to the nest. I really enjoy the repetition of the question, "Are you my mother?" By the second time the children are already asking the question before I start to to read it. This book is appropriate for 3 year olds and older.
  Jessie32 | Sep 14, 2014 |
This book is about a young bird that gets lost and doesn't know who his mother is. He asks many different kinds of animals, but none of them are his mother. Finally he finds his mother and knows right away. This book is very sweet and teaches young children that there is someone out there who loves them and that everyone has a mother. ( )
  KristinHopwood | Sep 10, 2014 |
Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear. I had to read them first. I remember this one well. Pretty good, although not the best. Cute pictures, though. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,712,460 books! | Top bar: Always visible