Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

This is a very well known book about a bird who has lost her mother and on a search for her. In the process of searching for her she runs into several other animals and is wondering if they are her mother. After talking to sevral animals and asking everyone of them if they were her mother, she finally finds her mother. This book would be good to teach and discuss with your students sequencing and elements of a story. This book would also be great for Kindergarteners since they are trying to get into the groove of elementary school and leaving their parents and especially mother every day. ( )
  lfasce1 | Dec 1, 2014 |
This was my absolute favorite book as a child. The pictures are the plot, and keep the reader interested in the story. When the baby bird finds a construction machine, it makes noise and is great entertainment for the reader. It is sweet and heart warming at times, especially when the mother and baby are finally united. The plot flows evenly and easily, while also developing the baby bird’s character really fully. The big idea is a baby finding his mom. ( )
  tburfe1 | Nov 11, 2014 |
summary:

A little bird is born while his mom is away looking for food. The baby bird goes off in search of his mother.He as a cow, a dog, a kitten, and even cars and inanimate objects it it is his mother but they all say no. Finally he comes across a crane. He is afraid of the machine but he ends up walking right onto the crane. The crane puts the birdy back on his nest and the mom comes home to the birdy.

Review:

I loved this book because of it simplicity. It was only a few sentences but it managed to be really entertaining. I liked the repetitive structure of the the sentences I think i would be a really good for children beginning to read. ( )
  ycinto1 | Oct 28, 2014 |
Summary:
This children's book, "Are you my Mother?", is about a little bird who hatches his egg before his Mother is back at the nest. The little bird wants to find its mother so he hops out of the nest and begins his quest asking each animal he encounters is they are his mother.

Review:
I used to adore this book when I was younger. The theme of this book I think is what I loved the most. The theme is about bonding and connecting with your mother. This story shows you that family will always be there for them. Very well written book for children. ( )
  mnorth2 | Oct 21, 2014 |
The main idea of this book was to follow a baby bird as it desperately searched for it's mother. I enjoyed this book because I liked the plot and illustrations. The rising action, climax, and resolution components of the plot were easy to follow. The conflict is that the baby bird cannot find it's mother so it goes out searching for it's mother. The climax of the story is when the baby bird grows extremely discouraged and feels it will never find it's mother. The resolution occurs when the "snort" puts the baby bird in the nest and mother is waiting for the baby.
I enjoyed the illustrations of this text and feel they assisted in the comprehension of the story. In the first illustration the mother bird is wearing a scarf on her head. This shows the reader that she is a female. The illustrations also match the content of the page they appear on. For example, "out came the baby bird" contains an illustration of the egg cracking and the baby bird hatching. ( )
  jessicaedelman | Oct 20, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible