Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

I have trouble coming up with too much to say or feel about this. Bird seeks, finds mom, film at 11. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Apr 26, 2016 |
THis is a good reinforcer book for beginner readers as it is very repetitive. Young readers also like to humor that can be found in the pages...especially when varied tones and vocals are added by the reader. ( )
  Erin_Holte | Apr 26, 2016 |
A baby bird goes in search of his mother in this hilarious Board Book adapation of P.D. Eastman's classic story, perfect for babies and toddlers!
  wichitafriendsschool | Apr 18, 2016 |
family is he most important thing
  Rachel_Scarborough | Apr 18, 2016 |
As a future elementary teacher, I liked this book for several reasons. First, the repetition in the book aids in word recognition and therefore builds the students’ reading vocabulary. “Are you my mother?” is repeated on every page meaning as students reach the middle and end of the story they should be able to recognize and fluently read this statement because it is now familiar to them. Also, words on the same page are repeated, such as when the egg, “Jumped and jumped and jumped,” which aids in word recognition as well. Secondly, I liked this book because the illustrations aided in the reading of the story. As the bird asked different animals if they are its mother, each animal was depicted on the page. For example, when the bird asks a dog, there is a picture of the bird next to the dog. Lastly, the story’s message of looking to those who care about you can be used in the classroom to remind students that even when they feel lost there is always someone there for them just like when the bird found his mother and felt secure again. ( )
  kkamin5 | Mar 20, 2016 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:14 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,258,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible