Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear. I had to read them first. I remember this one well. Pretty good, although not the best. Cute pictures, though. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books to read to my children and is a must read for my 2 year old son at least a few times a week. Through this short piece, you will follow a baby bird as he has hatched just a little early and sets off to find his mother. In the end, he knows her when he finds her. It is such a sweet story that always gets me a few extra hugs at the end. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 17, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about a baby bird that is trying to find his mother. The baby bird hatched while his mother was out finding food so he did not know what his mother looked like. He went from place to place asking various animals and inanimate objects if they were his mother. He finally gets put back into his nest by a crane and his mother returns.

Personal Reaction: I love this book, because this book was read to me when I was a child. It is a fun book to read and be read to.

Classroom Extensions: 1) I could read this book to the children and then have them draw a picture of their mother and describe her. 2) I could do a lesson over what to do when you get lost. Teach them not to talk to strangers. ( )
  SmithAlec | Jul 5, 2014 |
This classic story tells the tale of a baby bird who hatches from his egg to find himself all alone in the nest. He goes out to seek his mother, stopping all kinds of animals and vehicles along the way, finding that none of them is his mother. Just when he starts to despair, he is reunited with his parent. The text has lots of repetition, which young children love and makes reading long books easier for beginning readers. The little bird's quest is both sweet and silly, as he is so confused as to think a boat is his mother. The text calls for some interaction with the occasional question thrown out toward the audience. The illustrations perfectly fit the story, serving as good context clues for beginner readers as well as young listeners. While this book is geared more for older kids, I found that some of the toddlers in my class enjoyed this longer version of the book; in fact, a couple of them demanded to hear it over and over again! ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 10, 2014 |
In this classic tale, a baby bird hatches from an egg to find himself all alone. He sets out to find his mother, meeting various animals along the way who are not her before finally being reunited with his mother. This board book version tightens up the story, removing some of the things that the baby bird mistakes for his mother and reducing the repetitive language, in order to make the book shorter for a younger audience. I read this book to my toddler class, and it seemed to be the perfect length for them. This is a great way to introduce a classic to a younger audience who will hopefully grow to recognize the cover of the longer book and read that book as well when they are older. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 10, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,344,104 books! | Top bar: Always visible