Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

astinchavez | Oct 16, 2014 |
This classic Dr. Seuss book is about a baby bird who can't find his mother. The bird asks many different animals and objects if they are his mother. It is quite comical and a little frustrating to read as the bird continues to ask everything but his mother. Children will enjoy the illustrations and the silly things the baby bird asks. In the end, the mother comes back to the baby bird with a worm. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Oct 2, 2014 |
Are You My Mother?
“Are You My Mother?” by P.D. Eastman is a classic in my home. It has been read to all my boys and you can’t help but to get caught up in the animation. This book creates interaction as the bird goes on a journey looking for his Mom. The little bird repeats the question “are you my mother” throughout the story giving opportunity to interact and help read the book. The plot keeps the reader in suspense as he continues to search and asks many animals and objects such as the dog, the cow, the car and even the snort if they are his mother. The illustrations are simple throughout the book and capture the main point of the text on each page. The text is large print and incorporates many site words for young readers to be able to read; however, the story remains engaging. The big idea of this story is Mom always comes back. ( )
  areyno5 | Sep 25, 2014 |
summary:The book is about a small bird that hatches from its egg wondering where her mother went.She begins the adventure to find her mother.She soon travels everywhere asking everything she sees "Are you my mother?" she ask various types of animals, and even a truck. Towards the end of the story she stumbles upon the nest, and finds her mother there after looking for her all day.

Personal reflection: i think this book is great for young children, it is simple and easy to read and the picture follows the story line very well. It has repetition that kids could pick up on. i personally think that it is a very cute story.

Classroom Extension: I would give the students a long piece of paper and have them divide into threes and have the write beginning middle and end.I will have the students tell me in each section what happened in the story.
  pambam_11 | Sep 17, 2014 |
In my opinion, this is a good children’s book. The first reason why I like this book is because of the simple repetition. Repetition makes reading easier for younger children. In this story, the baby bird goes on a hunt to find his mother. He asks everyone and everything that he meets “Are You My Mother?” This phrase is repeated throughout the book. The next reason why I liked this book is because it keeps the reader interested. This is key for a children’s book. What keeps the reader interested is whether or not the little bird will find his mommy. The readers become concerned when the little bird falls out of the nest and whether they will reconnect with their mother or not. I also liked this book because of the illustrations. The illustrations make reading and understanding the book much easier. When the little bird asks a dog if she is her mother, the illustration shows a big dog (like on the cover). When the little bird sees a car and an airplane, there is an illustration of both of them. The main message of this book is about bonding with your mother, and family. ( )
  margan1 | Sep 15, 2014 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:58 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible