Are You My Mother? by P. D. Eastman

Are You My Mother? (1960)

by P. D. Eastman

Sarah Durkin
Professor Martens
EDUC417
16 February 2016
Reading Log Entry #6: Are You My Mother by: P. D. Eastman
I like this book by P. D. Eastman for many reasons. First, it is funny. Readers are brought about with laughter right from the beginning of the story. The egg jumps into the nest, hatches, and expects that he can fly…but he cannot. In fact, he just falls to the ground. I also like how the baby bird asks irrational questions to other animals asking if they are his mother. For example, when he asks the cow if it is his mother, the cow responds by saying, “How could I be your mother? I am a cow.” Reading interactions between the baby bird and other adult animals in the story can bring enjoyment to readers. Second, when the baby bird and his mom are separated, readers are eager to find out what happens next. Children would be interested in this book and want the baby bird to find his mom. Even though this is a fictional story, because of course birds and other animals cannot talk, it is able to captivate readers through its cartoon like illustrations. Finally, I liked how readers were able to value the relationship between the baby bird and its mom. Having close relationships with family is important in any childhood because you know there is always someone that will be there for you no matter what. I believe that the moral of this story is to be friendly towards anyone you meet and show confidence in all that one chooses to do. ( )
  SarahDurkin | Feb 11, 2016 |
the first book I read out loud! Had to prove to my mother at age 3 that I could read. She made me pick a book I hated to prove it to her. It's still on my bookshelf at home. ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
This story is about a baby bird. His mother, thinking her egg will stay in her nest where she left it, leaves her egg alone and flies off to find food. The baby bird hatches. He does not understand where his mother is so he goes to look for her. As he cannot fly, he walks, and in his search, he asks a kitten, a hen, a dog, and a cow if they are his mother. They each say "No.". ( )
  A_Ozoglu | Dec 2, 2015 |
It is a classic that should be in every child's library. ( )
  shelbewelbee | Nov 15, 2015 |
I liked this book! I may be biased as well because I generally love all stories Dr. Suess. I like the message. I believe that it shows diversity in that the little bird, duck, etc. didn't discriminate in the type of species when asking who his mother was. I think the language was clear and simple. It Is age appropriate as well.
  sbanke1 | Nov 10, 2015 |
To My Mother
A mother bird sat on her egg.
The author of this book is actually P. D. Eastman.

Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition. Ages 4-8.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800184, Hardcover)

This is the classic from which many of our staff first learned to read, starting us on a path of unremitting bibliophilia. Are You My Mother? follows a confused baby bird who's been denied the experience of imprinting as he asks cows, planes, and steam shovels the Big Question. In the end he is happily reunited with his maternal parent in a glorious moment of recognition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:14 -0400)

Never having seen his mother, a baby bird makes humorous mistakes trying to find her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,216,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible