The Three Billy Goats Gruff [Marcia Brown,…

The Three Billy Goats Gruff [Marcia Brown, illustrator] (1991)

by P.C. Asbjornsen, Jørgen Engebretsen Moe

This story is about three little billy goats who wanted to cross and bridge to get up the hill and then the biggest billy goat killed the troll.
media - crayon ?? ( )
  MichaelaGennaro | Mar 5, 2018 |
In this story there are three goats that are each named Gruff. Each goat is bigger than the next so there is a big Gruff, a medium Gruff, and a small Gruff. They all went one by one across a bridge that was guarded by a troll. The small and medium Gruffs were able to convince the troll to wait for the next goat because the next one would be bigger than them.
This book seemed like it could have been a myth or legend since it has no know author. But it is also a fantasy book since all three goats are able to talk with a troll, and the fact that there is a troll seems like a normal occurrence.
  Michaiah.Annear | Feb 18, 2017 |
I was not a fan of this book. The illustrations were not at all my style with the troll looking like the illustrator had scribbled his hair in. There was too much brown in the book for my liking and reminded me of my parents house from the 1970's before it was remodeled. On the inside jacket of the book it says, "Unifying all of the elements in the book is the artist's sense of bold, dynamic composition that makes the Billy Goats seem to leap off the pages." I could not disagree more. I have seen hand drawn artwork in picture books that have mesmerized me more than this. ( )
  Chafkins | Oct 21, 2016 |
1985 may have been the last time I was enthralled by this book's pages, but I read this loads of times when I was a boy, though my memories of it now are somewhat sketchy. I know it was a favourite though, hence my five star rating.

I remember loving the part where the "daddy" goat took on the troll!

Classic stuff - something all children should read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Feb 5, 2015 |
This fairytale book is about 3 goats who were trying to cross a bridge that a troll lived under. They crossed smallest to biggest, and each time, the goat would throw their older brother under the bus to be eaten by the troll. When the final and biggest goat crossed the bridge, the troll was unable to eat him because the goat was too big. The goat chopped him into tiny pieces and all the goats were able to cross the bridge. ( )
  BethWal94 | Jan 25, 2015 |

P.C. Asbjornsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moe, Jørgen Engebretsenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, MarciaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dasent, G. W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Asbjornsen - Norwegian author / Moe - Norwegian author / Marcia Brown - illustrator / Dasent - translator

A favorite with storytellers because of the rich, descriptive language of the retelling, this is a reissue of the classic edition of the famous Scandinavian tale. Marcia Brown’s stylized illustrations capture the personalities of the clever goats and the horrible troll, making this book a feast for the eyes as well as the ears.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:14 -0400)

The three billy goats outsmart the hungry troll who lives under the bridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,214,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible