Storm Born (Dark Swan, Book 1) by Richelle…

Storm Born (Dark Swan, Book 1) (edition 2008)

by Richelle Mead

Member:melhaf76
Title:Storm Born (Dark Swan, Book 1)
Authors:Richelle Mead
Info:Zebra (2008), Edition: 3rd Ed, Paperback, 384 pages

Storm Born by Richelle Mead

Thorn Queen by Richelle Mead (Kerian)
    Kerian: It only gets better.
    A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton (SunnySD)
    Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost (BookWhisperer)
    A Caress of Twilight by Laurell K. Hamilton (TheBooknerd)
    Burning Water by Mercedes Lackey (SunnySD)
    Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn (MisfitRhi)
    MisfitRhi: Both series involve an Otherworld filled with warring fae, a sexy kitsune and booty-kicking heroines.

Enjoyed the book very much. It’s the prophecy that gets the story rolling and I liked that it was a new approach to the- prophecy/reluctant hero who’s going to change the world, story. Eugenie is the mother of the hero to be (or the villain to be, depends on who you are) that makes her a prize or a corps, either way she’s screwed. Nice.

The submission/domination conflict – great take on relationships. I thought it was a fresh way to address the issue (bondages included) to have Eugenie wandering what it means for her to enjoy submission and how to deal with the power she’s discovering. It was very interesting and I would like to see the developments as she becomes more and more powerful.

As for Dorian vs. Kiyo. Kiyo is a fine hero, handsome, brave, sense of humor, saves the heroin and great sex too, so what’s not to like? That’s just it; we’ve seen heroes like him before, no surprise. But Dorian, that’s a different story, literally. Handsome and powerful, yes and great hair too but he’s not your typical hero not tortured/angry/looking for redemption/hiding a broken heart there for can’t commit hero. He’s eccentric and a show off with an everything is a joke facade and he’s willing to share in the name of love. I loved him! We saw glimpse of his inner feelings and I really want to see more.

I did feel at times, that Richelle Mead can do more for details. She creates a somewhat flat world, same goes for the characters. I would like to see more depth or layers to unfold. Maybe some analyzing a la Cassie? (: ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |
Storm Born
3.5 Stars

Eugenie Markham is a Shaman with a reputation for ridding unsuspecting humans of nasties from the Otherworld. After taking on a new case, Eugenie learns that she is the object of a dark prophecy foretelling the birth of a child who will bring about the end of the world as we know it. Soon every ambitious fae is set on “having” Eugenie and she will need all the help she can get to fight them off.

To be honest, I’m on the fence about this book. The Otherworld politics and creatures are well developed, the action scenes are exciting and the characters are reminiscent of Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. Eugenie is not nearly as irritating as Mac and her humor is snarky without being grating. Dorian is more likable and less smarmy than V’lane but he is lacking a true Alpha male personality, and Kiyo while gorgeous in his own right is definitely NOT Barrons. Moreover, his big secret undermines his potential as hero material.

The plot is, unfortunately, quite predictable and the love triangle seems forced. While Eugene and the two men in her life have definite chemistry, there is no foundation for any emotional connection between the characters, and it is, therefore, difficult for the reader to care one way or the other which man Eugene ultimately chooses to be with.

In terms of the narration, Jennifer Van Dyck’s voice is too mature for the 26 year old Eugenie and her version of Dorian makes him sound like a pretentious prick, which I’m almost certain is not the vibe Mead was going for.

All in all, Storm Born has some entertaining themes and I’m interested enough in the world and the characters to continue with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
This wasn't too bad. Not really up to par with the rest of her books but I will give it another book. Hopefully it will get better since I won't need all the background info. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
Okay, I only got 15 pages into the book. I was overwhelmed by all the trite phrases and couldn't force myself to go on. If this were the first book of Richelle's I was reading, I wouldn't read another. Thankfully, I know the Succubus series works. Thanks the deities that this was a library book and not something I spent my own $$ on. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |

Richelle Meadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Van Dyck, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael, who always liked this one best.
I'd seen weirder things than a haunted shoe, but not many.
This is the novel. Please do not combine with the comic/graphic novel.

Just typical. No love life to speak of for months, then all at once, every horny creature in the Otherworld wants to get in your pants....

Eugenie Markham is a powerful shaman who does a brisk trade banishing spirits and fey who cross into the mortal world. Mercenary, yes, but a girl's got to eat. Her most recent case, however, is enough to ruin her appetite. Hired to find a teenager who has been taken to the Otherworld, Eugenie comes face to face with a startling prophecy - one that uncovers dark secrets about her past and claims that Eugenie's first-born will threaten the future of the world as she knows it.

Now Eugenie is a hot target for every ambitious demon and Otherworldy ne'er-do-well, and the ones who don't want to knock her up want her dead. Eugenie handles a Glock as smoothly as she wields a wand, but she needs some formidable allies for a job like this. She finds them in Dorian, a seductive fairy king with a taste for bondage, and Kiyo, a gorgeous shape-shifter who redefines animal attraction.

But with enemies growing bolder and time running out, Eugenie realizes that the greatest danger is yet to come, and it lies in the dark powers that are stirring to life within her.

When Eugenie Markham, a powerful shaman and mercenary, is hired to find a teenager taken to the Otherworld, she uncovers dark secrets about her past that could destroy the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,232,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible