Faceless by Debra Webb

Faceless

by Debra Webb

50 (1) A PB (1) Aug 08 (1) B (1) BEV (1) Birmingham (1) D (1) DA (1) Debra Webb Boxes (1) didn't like (1) discarded (1) don't want (1) fiction (2) FictionDB (2) fixer (1) Hot Crate #7 (1) less (1) LLB (1) lw (1) mystery (1) read in 2014 (1) romantic suspense (4) S8 (1) sus (1) suspense (1) thriller (1) to-read (3) unowned (1) W (1) xx (1)

thriller ( )
  damcmanus | Mar 19, 2010 |
Fifteen years after the fact, someone finally confesses to the murder of Carson Tanners family. Now someone has confessed and he should be putting it behind him. But on the eve of the confession, Carson is seduced by a beautiful woman, Annette Baxter. At the same time he's being groomed by his mentor to become the next District Attorney, and handed a case that will make his career and guarantee him the top spot. Too bad the one woman that can help him is the one that seduced him. Beginning to feel like he's been set up, Carson starts digging into the case, only to find the dead bodies piling up in his wake. While Carson tries to get Annette to flip, she begins to feed him information about what happened to his family and he needs to decide if he can trust her or not. Is she playing him too??? Carson and Annette end up working together to figure out who is responsible only to find out it's the one person they least expected. ( )
  lgondelman | Aug 3, 2008 |
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release: August 08

I should confess from the start…I am not a big fan of conspiracy theories. So I was probably the wrong person to read and review “Faceless” by Debra Webb. Once I figured out how just how many ‘dirty’ police, politicians, doctors, lawyers, etc were involved, the story was far outside the bounds of believability for me and that pretty much put paid to my enjoyment of the rest of the novel.

There are a whole lot of moving pieces to this story. I had a difficult time keeping track of them all, especially when the actions of several parties are recounted just using ‘she’ or ‘he’, I’m guessing to heighten the suspense, but it just made it all the more confusing for me. The plot advancement felt very jerky/jumpy for me, first here and then there and then back over here again. The denouement pulled out some new and very surprising information, pretty much making it impossible for the reader to figure out the mystery.

The heroine is a criminal, but she’s the product of her environment and that’s supposed to make it all better. She’s an extortionist, accessory to murder, graft, embezzlement, and just about any other crime you can think of. She covers these crimes up for people and takes lots of money to do so. I didn’t particularly admire her.

The hero is a young and upcoming District Attorney who is supposedly very smart and a go-getter, but he never even had a whiff of suspicion that something was going on? Not too smart. He allows a total stranger to seduce him after a short meeting a bar. Not too smart. I wasn’t particularly impressed with him either.

I didn’t feel any real relationship building between the lead characters. I think the fact that the heroine felt ‘something’ for the first time during sex was supposed to be meaningful and lead to the assumption that she feels something for the hero? After a 10 minute discussion and a hotel sex encounter? I don’t think so.

I didn’t enjoy “Faceless” by Debra Webb. ( )
  jjmachshev | Jun 17, 2008 |
Numbers 32:23: Be sure that your sins will find you out...
Sunday, September 5, 9:40 pm
Mountain Brook, Alabama

She clicked off the flashlight then froze.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312942249, Mass Market Paperback)

Deputy district attorney Carson Tanner has dedicated his life to justice. But he is still haunted by one case that was never solved: the murder of his entire family in cold blood. Back then, the teenage Carson was protected by his girlfriend’s influential father, Senator Randolph Drake. But now, fifteen years later, Carson finds himself facing a whole new world when a man confesses to the Tanner killings. His name is John Stokes. And his confession only scratches the surface of the truth…

Carson knows that Annette Baxter uses her brains and beauty as a fixer for the rich and powerful, making their indiscretions disappear in exchange for security and influence. But now someone is using her clients’ secrets—and her own—against her. And even though Carson can’t ignore his attraction to her, he is dead-set on making Annette pay for her crimes…but what if she holds the key to the burning secret he’s spent his whole life seeking?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:51 -0400)

Deputy district attorney Carson Tanner has dedicated his life to justice. But he is still haunted by one case that was never solved - the murder of his entire family in cold blood. 15 years after the tragedy, a man confesses to the Tanner killings. His name is John Stokes, and his confession only scratches the surface of the truth.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible