My Wicked Enemy by Carolyn Jewel

My Wicked Enemy

by Carolyn Jewel

This book held me from the beginning to the end in thrall of its awesomeness. It's dark, electric, and stunning in its need to explain the story to us, the reader. Carson May be messed up, Nikodemus may be messed up too but together they are a formidable pair. Nikodemus may not have trusted her in the beginning, but towards the end they made beautiful music together. Carson learned her new ropes on the fly but with Nikodemus helping her she gathered some freaking awesome fiends in the wake of our time with their story and I, for one, can't wait to read more of Carolyn Jewel's sinfully delicious reads. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
You know, I think if I said, "Carolyn Jewel attended the Laurell K. Hamilton school of urban fantasy writing" and called it a day, most readers would probably get all the information they need from my review. Maybe I should add, "Not the early Anita Blake books, late-period Laurell K. Hamilton, and yes, that does mean what you think it means."

This is actually not at all what I expected from the first chapter of MY WICKED ENEMY, which I read as a sample. The writing is noticeably more polished in the beginning of the book, and has a kind of bleak simplicity that really drew me in. The heroine, Carson, is in a pretty miserable situation and I sympathized with her immediately. But after the exposition, where we get the lowdown on who the main characters are and why the mages and demons hate each other so much, the book really shifts gears.

Demons are all attracted to mages - mage blood is like demon catnip - so every demon who meets Carson wants to sleep with her. Some of them try to force her, some of them try to seduce her, but they all try. The plot makes sense and all, and it's fairly interesting, but it seems like the real purpose of the plot is to manufacture sex scenes. The book features a lot of graphic sex, and a lot of it is rough or kinky. Not saying that's good or bad, just fair warning.

As the book wore on I had a harder and harder time picturing the supernatural elements of the plot. There's a lot of stuff about magic - pulling magic, touching someone else's magic, channeling magic through someone else - and I got totally lost. I'm not sure what people can do with magic in this world, or what its limitations are. Without a really clear guide to how magic works, a lot of key scenes in the book made hardly any sense to me. I mean, I understood who won and who lost or whatever, but not the mechanics of how it happened.

It's also a big deal that the hero, Nikodemus, has both a human and a demon form, and at key moments shifts into his demon form. But we don't really find out what that demon form looks like...so I understood it was exciting and forbidden, but remained fuzzy on the details. If the author is going to go there, shouldn't she really, really go there? ( )
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
Lady Wombat says:

Lots of potential here, but the poor writing stands in the way of creating a compelling secondary world. Not much character development, and a lot of confusing gaps in the storytelling. I know from Jewel's regency books that she can write and plot much better than this, so perhaps I'll give the 2nd book in the series a try.
  Wombat | Jun 13, 2011 |
Way cool. I was a little worried when I started this book. I'd seen a few reviews which were less than stellar. Well...I don't know what book they read, but I really enjoyed "My Wicked Enemy" by Carolyn Jewel. It's got mages, demons, witches, and hot sex. And the premise of the book is a new (at least for me) take on the whole demon/mage thing. If I had to categorize it, I'd probably call it a paranormal, urban fantasy, contemporary romance. And a darn good one at that.

Carson is a witch who has no idea what she is. Nikodemus is a demon warlord who hates all magekind including witches. He can't believe his luck when he spots Carson alone and unguarded. It doesn't take too long for him to realize she's majorly messed up and so naive she doesn't even know what he is or that she should be scared of him. Hell, she even tried to kill a mageheld demon to save him! Now her magic may be about to kill her and he's trying to SAVE her instead of kill her. What's next? Falling in love? Uh...yes.

This novel is about magical slavery. Strong magekin (witches, warlocks, etc) can capture demons and force them to do whatever is requested. Trying to resist can actually kill the demon. Nikodemus is trying to get the demon warlords to work together (HAH!) to fight the mages before all of their kind are mageheld. But who will trust a demon who seems to be working WITH a witch?

Fascinating. With lots of directions for the author to head in and I can't wait to see what's next. The sex is really quite hot for a mass market paperback title and includes a scene of multiple partner sex (but not full blown menage). The tentative title to her next book in this world is "His Wicked Witch" with an estimated publication date of 'summer' 2009. ( )
2 vote jjmachshev | Oct 12, 2008 |
didn't finish...not my type of book ( )
  blingtastic | Oct 5, 2008 |
Someone was following her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446178233, Mass Market Paperback)

A desire that can't be controlled...Carson Philips is a witch on the run. For years, the notorious mage, Alvaro Magellan, has held her as his psychological prisoner. But once Carson gets a glimpse of the true extent of his evil, she flees Magellan's mansion--stealing a stone talisman of unimaginable power on the way. Her only hope for survival is a demon who ignites a voracious hunger in her she can't deny, a longing she can't resist...

A hunger that can't be sated...Nikodemus is a warlord with a mission: Kill Magellan and his green-eyed witch at any cost. But when he meets the desperate Carson, the pull of her magic takes his breathe away. He's not sure he can trust this tantalizing woman--she is his enemy--and less sure he can keep his hands off her. But Magellan will stop at nothing to reclaim what belongs to him. Can Nikodemus stop him before his desire for Carson destroys them both?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:55 -0400)

A dark, sexy and action-packed paranormal from Carolyn Jewel in the bestselling tradition of Sherrilyn Kenyon and J.R. Ward.

Carolyn Jewel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible