Cold Hearted by Beverly Barton

Cold Hearted

by Beverly Barton

Series: Griffin Powell (6)

This one had me guessing until the end...............who done it???
  debralu | Oct 12, 2009 |
Not very realistic, but a quick page turner with better than average writing. ( )
  sloepoque | Jun 30, 2009 |
Cold Hearted is the story of Jordan Price, whose husband, Dan, has died; he shot himself in the head. Or so everyone believes at first. However, Dan's brother refuses to believe Dan would kill himself, so a private agency is hired to look into the possibility that Dan was murdered. As the investigation proceeds, Jordan seems to be the most likely person to have killed Dan. Assigned to the case by the private investigating agency, Rick Carson struggles with whether or not he believes Jordan is innocent or a "black widow".

In spite of some credibility issues with the plot, I enjoyed this book. The mystery central to the story was well written, and very different from many books in the genre of romantic suspense/mystery. It's also the type of book that gets passed around an office, and once its made the rounds, someone gets the next Beverly Barton book and starts the process all over again. ( )
  yargles | Jun 19, 2009 |
Wow - I must say this book was excellent. I can see where it may figure in to an earlier series, but I read it as a standalone and no real clues were given away to what took place in the earlier books (besides the one married couple). I really liked Rick and Jordan as characters and at times it could be frustrating watching them fight their feelings, but you understood they had good reasons. The suspense was built really well. I went back and forth on who I suspected and really didn't get it right at the end. Ms. Barton was great at throwing the suspicion on every one that made sense in the story and keeping you guessing. I honestly had a hard time putting this one down (but work, cooking and the kids kind of demanded some of my attention). This wasn't my first by Ms. Barton and it definitely won't be my last. I enjoy her romantic suspense immensely. She has a good balance of romance with the suspense. ( )
  reading_crystal | Apr 2, 2009 |

Barton, BeverlyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
York, LisaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
none
Prologue: Perhaps the best thing he could do for himself and everyone he loved was to commit suicide.

They all loved her. That was their mistake. Two husbands, her college fiance, an influential boss-every man who gets close to Jordan Price is made to pay in blood. And the list is growing.Hired by the Powell Agency to investigate Senator Dan Price's death, Rick Carson can see at once why people would believe Jordan Price incapable of cold-blooded murder. Slender, pale, and elegant, she stands by her late husband's graveside exuding sweet vulnerability. Only Rick notices that she never sheds a tear. And the deeper he delves into the string of deaths from which Jordan has profited handsomely, the more convinced Rick becomes that he is dealing with a callous, cunning, unstoppable killer.The closer Rick gets to the chilling truth, the more dangerous this game of cat-and-mouse becomes. The targets are changing, and suddenly, nothing and no one is safe. If Jordan is as innocent as she claims, Rick may have placed her in a killer's cross hairs. And if she's guilty, he'll never live to regret it.

When he is hired to investigate Senator Dan Price's death, Rick Carson begins to suspect Price's beautiful widow Jordan, a woman who has profited handsomely from her husband's death, after discovering that every man who has ever gotten close to her has met an untimely demise.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,682 books! | Top bar: Always visible