Passion and Pleasure in London by Melody…

Passion and Pleasure in London

by Melody Thomas

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

I just love reading romances that leave me with a sappy smile on my face! “Passion and Pleasure in London” by Melody Thomas is just such a novel. It has a dastardly villain with a witchy daughter that both receive their well-deserved comeuppance at the hands of our hero and heroine who then live happily ever after. Happy sigh.

Winter carries the weight of what’s left of her family, a demented mother and younger brother, on her small shoulders. At only 16, after her father’s death, her horrid uncle weaseled her family’s fortune and home and left them destitute. When Winter tried to fight back he raped her and threatened her mother and brother if she didn’t keep her mouth shut. So Winter and the locals have embarked on an underhanded method of evening the scales. They rob the Baron’s high society guests every chance they get and use the proceeds to help out those whose families are affected by the Baron’s greed and cruelty. When Winter spots an unknown, yet handsome toff, she’s sure he must be headed to the Baron’s and decides to relieve him of his wallet. Things quickly spin out of Winter’s control but the results will be marvelous!

Rory is half Gypsy, half Lord, and all rake. He’s also been summoned to his Grandfather’s deathbed to take over his duties as the Marquess. He’s not happy. He thoroughly enjoys his life as a spy with no ties and no real responsibility other than staying alive. When he catches sight of Winter during a brief stop, his loins tingle! When he catches her trying to open his saddlebags in the stable, HE steals a kiss. It’s not until after she’s gone that he realizes SHE stole his wallet! She may walk and talk like a Lady, but no mere thief will get the better of him.

What a great pairing. These two are both strong characters who have to learn to trust and compromise. The heat practically leaps off the page and the love scenes ROCK! Thomas does a great job with the attending mystery of exactly who is trying to kill Rory. I didn’t figure it out until the author provided the solution which is unusual, especially in historical romances (at least for me). The gradual revealing of the breadth of the problems facing Winter and Rory was just right. There’s quite a bit more going on than in my brief synopsis and it all wraps together nicely. The reasoning behind the actions of all the characters rings true for me and is crucial to both the plot and their developing romance.

I’ve read a few other books by Melody Thomas but I think this is my favorite (so far). It’s got some humor, drama, mystery, action, and steam! I can’t quite think of what else I could ask for in a historical. So for a novel with fiery passion that’s truly a pleasure to read, don’t miss “Passion and Pleasure in London”. ( )
  jjmachshev | Sep 24, 2008 |

Winter Ashburn was once the toast of the ton, but now she skirts the margins of high society by stealing from the rich to give to the poor. Her latest mark is none other than Rory Jameson, the rake who dared mistake her for a lady of the evening. Winter has stolen from her fair share of scandalously handsome men in the past . . . so why does her heart beat faster as she approaches his door? Rory Jameson is a rake, it's true. And he's caught many a thief while on secret missions for the Crown, but none has been this intriguing, this enticing. He will make Winter repay what she took so shamelessly . . . and melt her icy fa?cade with the heat of his wicked touch. But her kiss sets his soul on fire - and now he will never be satisfied until he has made this alluring temptress his own.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,140,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible