Insatiable Desire by Rita Herron

This book definitely doesn't rank the best among paranormal reads. Herron has some work ahead of her to improve her writing, but she does have potential. She has a unique plot, where devious, full-blooded demons working for Satan try to sway the troubled, powerful half-demons to their cause. The Eerie police don't realize the reason behind the sudden rash of deaths in their small town, and neither does FBI agent Vincent Valtrez, though he will be the most important piece of the puzzle. Since we discover the demons as Vincent does -he's just as unknowing about this paranormal business as we- the book reads as more of a grisly murder mystery starring a psychic medium, a cop and some elements of the paranormal. Vincent makes an interesting main character, as angst-ridden (see Black Dagger Brotherhood), tough and brooding an alpha as any romance fan could demand, but Herron does not quite achieve the effect that she wants when Valtrez tries to push love interest Clarissa away. We're sympathetic to him and forgiving of his rude behavior because we know of the history that shaped him and read of his anguished internal struggle, but because the heroine fails to make any kind of a defense he only comes off as a heartless bully kicking around a hapless puppy. To be fair, Clarissa is determined and persistent, but her reactions to some of his cruder setbacks are literally almost nonexistent, which is very unbelieveable. Tears, shock, outrage-- anything at all would do. As others have mentioned, the violence is a problem, not the presence of- but the fact that it's not conveyed with any finesse. Every gory detail is listed point-blank without any care taken to establish a chilling or this-is-disturbing mood. So the reader gets the impression that the violence is written mostly for shock value. Herron would be much better served in learning to convey horror with more subtlety. The few details an author chooses to bring to our attention -or omit- in a horror scene can be as powerful as listing outright all the blood and gore. That is a recurring problem with this book. There seems to be only one method to establish a mood: overblown simile. Every other line was, "The clouds were as thin as spiderweb and the trees shook as if in the grip of clawed hands and the ground shuddered like..." and so on and so forth. Similes should be used sparingly, certainly not in consecutive blocks of text and through bland imagery (e.g. spiderwebs aren't much more memorable than clouds, so why bother with the comparison at all?) Similarly, we often read internal dialogue from the villains devising their plans in precise, logical flows, from beginning until predictable, concluding end ("Yes, I will do that..."), which is a little too neat and entirely too simple a device for adult readers. We want some challenge, and anyone who knows the mind knows that our thoughts are generally not so carefully ordered or rational. The book also abounds with clichés. The "Come into the Light" theme seems to be a favorite and smacks of made-for-TV. Any book addressing the afterlife should try to approach it with some kind of gravity, if not creativity. There's a good deal of repetition too that could have been trimmed.If Herron worked on these problems, she could probably have a very sound book, one that is dark and edgy and a perfect candidate for the paranormal suspense or horror genre. Here's hoping her writing grows. I would love to read that. All in all, if the writing style doesn't bother you, then the gore might. ( )
  new_user | Jun 17, 2011 |
FBI agent Vincent Valtrez is the son of an angel and a demon lord. His father tried to brutalize the good out of Vincent when he was a young child. Vincent was told to kill small animals among other undesirable things. When Vincent's dad killed his mother by burning her at the stake, Vincent was overcome with rage and killed his father. He became a ward of the system, and bounced around in foster homes for many years. Eventually, he became an agent, trying to take out the bad guys.

His dead father, Zion, is about to be named the new leader of Hell's legions, and Pan, god of fear, wants to harvest Vincent's soul and win Zion's approval. He lures Vincent back to his home town by targeting psychic Clarissa King. Girls are turning up murdered and Clarissa has been communicating with their spirits. She is absolute that something evil is afoot. Even though Vincent tries to keep space between himself and Clarissa, they can't deny the attraction between them. Vincent is sure he is turning into a Demon himself, and Clarissa is determined to show him that he is a good man. A man she loves.
As the first in a new series, it definitely has potential. The premise is fantastic and the plot did have me turning the pages to see what would happen next, butI found the characters to be a bit boring. Too much time spent on what baggage they each carried instead of what they now were capable of would have given me a tad more interest. And the ending was tidied up a little too nicely to delve right into the next book. It could have used a bit more fleshing to the story in my opinion. However, I was lightly entertained. I would read the next in the series, but I won't go out of my way to acquire it.
  spunnsugarz | Jan 28, 2009 |
Twenty years ago Vincent Valtrez left his home after surviving a night in the Black Forest where he witnessed his father murder his mother and learned that he was Demonborn. Now an FBI Special Agent, Vincent has suppressed the evil pulling at him and instead has sworn to save lives, not take them. When his next case sends him home to Erie, Tennessee to help the sheriff track down a serial killer he reunites with Clarissa King, a psychic who can communicate with the victims.

Together Vincent and Clarissa work side-by-side to stop the killer but they slowly learn the truth. They killer they are battling is no ordinary murderer. He’s a demon who will stop at nothing to see that Clarissa is out of the way and convince Vincent to let his “bad blood” take over. Will the darkness inside Vincent claim him… or will he save Clarissa – and himself – from the evil that threatens them both?

Insatiable Desire is a great book. The paranormal aspects aren’t too heavy as it can be in some of the darker paranormals I’ve read. There is just enough darkness to make it a page turner with a believable storyline. The characters are well developed and convincing so that I kept reading well past my bedtime. Then I was kept awake with the hot and heavy sex scenes! This is a must read for all paranormal romance lovers. ( )
  24girl | Sep 13, 2008 |
FBI agent, Vincent Valtrez has been called back home to Tennessee. There has been what the local psychic believes to be a string of murders. Vincent has strived to make sure he never had to set foot in Black Forest. Legend has it that evil lives in Black Forest and everyone who has ever went into the forest was never seen or heard from again, that is except for Vincent.

Many years ago something happened to Vincent in the forest and her survived barely. Now not only does he have to deal with going back home but he also has to work side by side with the one woman who makes his heart race as well as makes Vincent want to act like a bad, bad boy. So just who is this woman that has Vincent all twisted up in knots? Her name is Clarissa King. She claims that she can communicate with the dead. Clarissa and Vincent team up to bring down the killer. Unfortunately they will have their hands full as this killer really is evil.

Vincent and Clarissa were great characters. They had good depth as well as personality to them. Plus it didn’t hurt any the hot steamy chemistry they shared together. Once I started reading Insatiable Desire, I found I couldn’t put it down. I was sad when it ended. I have to say that I have read a few of Rita Herron’s book and enjoyed them a lot but Insatiable Desire is my first paranormal romance novel I have read by her. After reading this book I have to say I like this new, darker, and edgier side of Ms. Herron. Insatiable Desire is a wonderful kickoff to what I know will be a successful new series; The Demonborn by Ms. Herron. ( )
  Cherylk | Aug 26, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446199478, Mass Market Paperback)

Plagued by graphic visions and the desperate cries of murder victims, psychic Clarissa King will do anything to stop the brutal killer targeting her hometown--even work alongside the dangerously sexy FBI agent who thinks she's a fraud. He's the one man who sparks a hunger she never imagined possible--and the one man she should fear...

Vincent Valtrez knows how to get inside a serial killer's mind. But with a dangerous past and a secret to keep, he wants nothing to do with this gorgeous psychic--especially since just the thought of her luscious body ignites a dark, irrepressible desire he's determined to keep at bay. When the killer they seek turns out to be demonic and otherworldly, Vincent learns his connection to the murderer is more than just hunter and prey. Will the darkness inside Vincent claim him...or will he save Clarissa--and himself--from the evil that threatens them both?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

Horror fiction. Detective and mystery stories. Vincent's new assignment involves a series of suspicious deaths and the local cops think it's a serial killer. Vincent is convinced the locals are morons. After all, they have a psychic helping their investigation, a sexy and irresistible one. But he's determined he will resist her, solve the case and get the hell out of Dodge. But nothing is as easy as it sounds... Clarissa has always had the power to help spirits cross over to the other side. When Vincent strolls in, arrogance personified, she's infuriated by his lack of respect. As the attraction mounts between Vince and herself she realises that Vincent has a dark side, much more dangerous than he even realizes. He is in fact a Dark Lord, a creature born from equal good and evil. Vincent knows his father, Zion, was evil, but he doesn't know that he was one of the most demented demons of all time and he's out to steal Vincent's soul. Even with Clarissa's love pulling him towards good, can Vincent resist the lure of the dark side?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible