Deadly Night by Heather Graham

Deadly Night

by Heather Graham

Series: The Flynn Brothers Trilogy (1)

4531923,009 (3.64)14

I enjoyed the story and the characters. The story moves along at a good pace. I like the setting surrounding the mystery. ( )
  caanderson | Nov 19, 2017 |
Not bad, better than the Krewe of Hunters series but again very formulaic. I'm on the third book now - trying to find anything to read that's free from my library - and all three books are exactly the same story. Single guy with a sad past finds some mystery and a woman that he doesn't want to fall in love with but does while solving said mystery.

yawn ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
The Flynn brothers have inherited an old plantation house in New Orleans from an aunt they did not even know existed. The oldest, Aiden, is a former FBI agent who left the agency after the death of his wife. His introduction to the Big Easy is an unnerving one. While walking along the muddy banks of the Mississippi he finds a human thigh bone with pieces of flesh clinging to it. He imagines the coroner will be interested in such a find, but not so. Aiden is remind in no uncertain terms that not long before, right after Katrina, bones and bodies could be found everywhere. His find means nothing. Or does it?

"Deadly Night" is well-balanced with an air of mystery, romance, paranormal and family all wrapped into a great novel.
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Angela Dawe
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I love most genre but sometimes I'm just in the mood for a good ghost story and if I want to be sure I am going to be satisfied, I grab a Heather Graham book. They usually come in sets of three and this is the first of the Flynn brothers trilogy.

The New Orleans setting was fun and the back story of the civil war cousins fighting on opposite sides was intriguing. The plantation, cemetery, and voodoo references really brought New Orleans into focus, both past and present, from the lure of Bourbon Street to the romance of the large plantations and their grounds. The characters were likable and as the reader gets to know them better, we learn about their lives, where they've been, and where they're headed. Aidan and Kendall do not begin the book getting along but eventually do give in to their hidden attraction for one another, as was to be expected.

The ghost story was engaging. Two cousins fighting on opposites sides who supposedly killed each other over a woman. The woman, attacked by a crazed officer, who throws herself off of the balcony to her death, haunts the plantation. These ghosts from the Civil War era begin to present themselves in dreams to warn our characters of the dangers they are facing in the present. And each time they dream, we learn more about the past and how it connects to the current mystery.

There is some predictability in that you know the two main characters are going to get together. Heather Graham's books are labeled as paranormal romance and the author usually sticks to a similar pattern in the romance area. However, with regard to plot, I have found that there are enough possible suspects and a few twists that generally keep me guessing until the last few chapters of the books, and this was no exception. Heather Graham's book are fun, paranormal romance with a lot of suspense and I know I can always turn to her when I want a book I can count on enjoying. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |

Heather Grahamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gigante, PhilReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Albizzi, JulieTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As always, to the incredible city of
New Orleans, especially to Mary LaCoste,
aka [also known as] Scary Mary, who gives the
most delightful tour,
and to Betty Titman, who gives real
credence to 'Southern Hospitality.'

To Mac, sexy, funny, dynamite voice
and an all around great guy.
The Flynn Plantation
Outside New Orleans

It was there... (prologue)
New Orleans
Present Day

'It's a bone,' Dr. Jon Abel announced. (chapter 1)
[part of Sloan Flynn's thoughts about war in the prologue]
Any man who still saw war as a way to solve differences had not been at Sharpsburg, Maryland, had not seen Antietam Creek running as crimson as the Red Sea, so choked with blood that it looked like a garish ribbon across the landscape.
[Aidan wants to walk Kendall home -- it's dark -- and she doesn't want him to be her escort.]

She looked up at him. Her tone was dry when she said, 'I read tarot cards. And palms. I'm supposed to be some kind of psychic. Don't you think I would see danger?'

'I don't know. The Psychic Network went bankrupt. You would have thought one of them would have seen it coming.' (chapter 4)

The Flynn brothers have inherited more than a New Orleans plantation. They've inherited a ghostly presence… and a long-kept secret. Aidan Flynn, a private investigator and eldest of the Flynn brothers, scoffs at the haunted-house rumors - especially since Kendall Montgomery, a tarot card reader who has been living in the mansion, is the one to tell him the tale of a woman in white. But when he finds a human bone on the grounds and another by the river, Aidan delves into the dark history of the Flynn plantation. Forced together to uncover the truth, Aidan and Kendall realize that a serial killer whose victims seem to vanish into thin air has long been at work. And that their own fates are about to be sealed forever unless they believe in the unbelievable.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778325857, Mass Market Paperback)

Aidan Flynn, a private investigator and eldest of the Flynn brothers, scoffs at the haunted-house rumors—especially since Kendall Montgomery, a tarot card reader who has been living in the mansion, is the one to tell him the tale of a woman in white. But when he finds a human bone on the grounds and another by the river, Aidan delves into the dark history of the Flynn plantation.

Forced together to uncover the truth, Aidan and Kendall realize that a serial killer whose victims seem to vanish into thin air has long been at work…and that their own fates are about to be sealed forever unless they believe in the unbelievable.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:08 -0400)

Aidan Flynn, a private investigator and eldest of the Flynn brothers, scoffs at the rumors the New Orleans plantation his family has inherited is haunted. After he finds a human bone on the grounds, Aidan is joined by the tarot card reader Kendall Montgomery to uncover the truth.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible