The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker,…

The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, Book 1) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Karen Miller

Member:ashinae
Title:The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, Book 1)
Authors:Karen Miller
Info:Orbit (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 642 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Orbit Books

The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (2005)

The Awakened Mage by Karen Miller (midnightblues)
    The Prodigal Mage by Karen Miller (midnightblues)
    Nihal of the Land of the Wind by Licia Troisi (Aleana)
    Les Chevaliers d'Emeraude, Tome 1 : Le Feu dans le ciel by Anne Robillard (Aleana)
    Squire by Tamora Pierce (davisfamily)
    davisfamily: Both books have characters who have strong personalities and are driven in their goals for success. They both are fast paced with great background detail.
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (infiniteletters)

English (35)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All (37)
I really enjoyed this book.

Asher is what you often find in fantasy - the ordinary boy destined for a Greatness. But I really liked him. He is smart, loyal, honest and bad tempered.

Gar is the prince. Gar realizes that Asher is exactly the person he needs. Someone who will be honest with him. Asher is not intimidated by the fact that Gar is a prince. Asher also doesn't look down on Gar because he has no magic. Gar is Doranen and Doranens do magic, but Gar cannot. Because of that he cannot be the next king and weather worker. His parents have his sister to be the heir. His parents have to get special permission to have a second child because the law is the King or Queen can only have on to prevent the devastation that happened in their history when the King's children fought for control. I found Gar a fascinating character. Viewed by many Doranens as a cripple he works hard for their Olken subjects who have no magic (or do they?) You get inside his head and his feelings. ( )
  nx74defiant | Dec 23, 2016 |
There are 2 races in a land cutoff from the rest off the world, for its own protection. A fisherman from the lower caste race becomes the trusted advisor to the Prince, a higher caste race. Their adventures that draw them together and tear them apart. The King keeps the wall of protection up, but its cost is in his blood. This book ends with the king dying and the evil ruler from the outside world taking over the royal magician and turning the prince against his advisor.

I really enjoyed this. The writing just drew me in. The dialogue was clever without being shallow, the problems were big without being pretentious and the characters were very real. I look forward to reading more by Miller. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
That such a shitty book got published and does not need to be selfpublished is simply funny. ( )
  Frozenfingers | May 24, 2016 |
I thought this novel was quite awesome! Asher is a down-to-earth type of man, truthful and tells it as he sees it kinda guy. It was sad to see him sneak off in the night but what he does with his new life is amazing! The friends he makes are of the best kind, granted a couple might shy away from telling the complete truth, they still make the best of friends. Prince Gar is a swell fellow, not swelled with arrogance even though he's a prince - understands people well. I can't help but feel for him though, no one should be called a cripple. His sister, Fane, now she an arrogant creature - full of icy resolve and fiery personality I find myself pitying her often. Although I may understand her feelings her reactions are hard to reconcile. Dathne is strong and ruled by prophecy, unable to fully connect with anyone. Matthew is a wonderful character, full of love for horses and his friends. Durm, Durm I dislike with a passion- a passion that only grows as the book reads on. The king and queen are a passionate, caring lot and I would be proud to have them as my royalty. All these characters play well off each other and make this book feel very real. I would definitely recommend this book to be read. It is one rollicking ride!!! ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |

I'm a little sad to see so many bad reviews for this book. I was enticed by the cover image and the book was torn, I have a thing about damaged books, and then I really feel in love with this story. Yes there moments where I did not like what happened but I really like what was happening over all and carried on. its a book that I've kept for many years and reread once, which is something I don't do often. ( )
  SamCanesi | Feb 5, 2016 |

Karen Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cotton, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ze droomden hem -
en hij kwam
Voor mijn ouders, voor hun blinde,
onwankelbare en soms verbluffende vertrouwen.
Zonder jullie had ik het niet gekund.
Prologue: Nine hundred and ninety-seven ... nine hundred and ninety-eight ... nine hundred and ninety-nine ... one thousand!
Asher opened his eyes. At last.
Time to go.
Chapter 1: He's here.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316067806, Mass Market Paperback)

"The Innocent Mage is come, and we stand at the beginning of the end of everything."

Being a fisherman like his father isn't a bad life, but it's not the one that Asher wants. Despite his humble roots, Asher has grand dreams. And they call him to Dorana, home of princes, beggars?and the warrior mages who have protected the kingdom for generations.

Little does Asher know, however, that his arrival in the city is being closely watched by members of the Circle, people dedicated to preserving an ancient magic.

Asher might have come to the city to make his fortune, but he will find his destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

The Doranen have ruled Lur with magic since arriving as refugees centuries ago. Theirs was a desperate flight to escape the wrath of a powerful mage who started a war in their homeland. To keep Lur safe, the native Olken inhabitants agreed to abandon their own magic. Magic is now forbidden them, and any who break this law are executed.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,240,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible