The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker,…

The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, Book 1) (original 2005; edition 2007)

by Karen Miller

Member:ashinae
Title:The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, Book 1)
Authors:Karen Miller
Info:Orbit (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 642 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Orbit Books

The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller (2005)

Recently added byprivate library
    Les Héritiers d'Enkidiev, Tome 1 : Renaissance by Anne Robillard (Aleana)
    Squire by Tamora Pierce (davisfamily)
    davisfamily: Both books have characters who have strong personalities and are driven in their goals for success. They both are fast paced with great background detail.
    Nihal della terra del vento. Cronache del mondo emerso vol. 1 by Licia Troisi (Aleana)
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (infiniteletters)

English (30)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (32)
Slow paced start, weird main character, but still left me with enough incentive to pick up the 2nd book which is better then the first. ( )
  Lorune | Jul 6, 2014 |
Aaaargh, I have to find the next book as fast as possible!! :D I have really enjoyed reading this one and I've sped trough it quite quickly, but now I'm so curious as to what is going to happen next. ( )
  Moriquen | Oct 4, 2013 |
Orbit,fall07 ( )
  lencicki | Aug 28, 2013 |
I haven't quite finished this book yet, as I type this. I'm on the last hundred pages or so, and I feel so torn. I was feeling very frustrated by all the build-up with no plot as such, and then I read this review and thought, hm, actually, I agree. The thing that I've enjoyed so much throughout this book is the characters. I love Gar (not a second son for once! but with all the self-perceived inadequacies of the best second sons of the genre) and his relationship with Asher; Asher I find abrasive and annoying and often too coarse to be true; the supporting characters like Matt and Darran and the king, I love, because they seem like people. Borne and his wife genuinely love each other and you see that coming through in the writing. Fane is genuinely a girl with too much responsibility and a sharp tongue. Even Durm, with his sickening attitude towards Gar, is still a person -- he loves the king, genuinely has the good of the kingdom in mind. And the worldbuilding is pretty good too, not delivered in chunks but naturally revealed through the story.

The thing that is making me seriously reconsider reading the rest of Karen Miller's work comes about five hundred pages into a six hundred page book. I would've been happy to keep reading if this was a slowly grinding political book, and collosal shows of magic weren't on the horizon. I'd have been happy to keep reading even if it's about to become a magic lightshow, if the villain was treated with as much care and buildup as the other characters. I mean, in a way he has buildup, he's part of the history of the kingdom that you get to know, but he turns out to be a pantomime villain.

I'll keep going and finish The Innocent Mage, but I'm now regretting having bought Karen Miller's other books (and I think I've bought all of them written under this penname).

And, okay, I've finished it now, and hmm. I still don't know. Just. Pantomime villain. ( )
  shanaqui | May 22, 2013 |
Orbit,fall07
  orbitbooks | May 9, 2013 |

Karen Millerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cotton, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ze droomden hem -
en hij kwam
Voor mijn ouders, voor hun blinde,
onwankelbare en soms verbluffende vertrouwen.
Zonder jullie had ik het niet gekund.
Prologue: Nine hundred and ninety-seven ... nine hundred and ninety-eight ... nine hundred and ninety-nine ... one thousand!
Asher opened his eyes. At last.
Time to go.
Chapter 1: He's here.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316067806, Mass Market Paperback)

"The Innocent Mage is come, and we stand at the beginning of the end of everything."

Being a fisherman like his father isn't a bad life, but it's not the one that Asher wants. Despite his humble roots, Asher has grand dreams. And they call him to Dorana, home of princes, beggars?and the warrior mages who have protected the kingdom for generations.

Little does Asher know, however, that his arrival in the city is being closely watched by members of the Circle, people dedicated to preserving an ancient magic.

Asher might have come to the city to make his fortune, but he will find his destiny.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:56 -0400)

The Doranen have ruled Lur with magic since arriving as refugees centuries ago. Theirs was a desperate flight to escape the wrath of a powerful mage who started a war in their homeland. To keep Lur safe, the native Olken inhabitants agreed to abandon their own magic. Magic is now forbidden them, and any who break this law are executed.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,303,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible