Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford

Suicide Notes (2006)

by Michael Thomas Ford

English (22)  Dutch (1)  All (23)
Funny, moving and a quick read ( )
  emmyreads | Jan 4, 2016 |
Eh. The reviewers I read were far too enamored of this. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
Eh. The reviewers I read were far too enamored of this. ( )
  GrytaJME | May 27, 2014 |
Waaaaaaaaaay too much ableist language. ( )
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
It feels a little weird to say that I felt a book about a 45-day program in a juvenile psychiatric unit was really funny. But it was—in parts. This book, written in journal entries from day one of the program until the last day, focuses on Jeff’s evaluation of why he tried to kill himself. His voice is reminiscent of Holden Caulfield, only he doesn’t call everyone phonies—just whackjobs.

Jeff introduces us to the other young adults in the unit, some of whom come and go during his stay. He also has to see a psychiatrist during his time in the program, the delightful Dr. Katzrupus. (or Cat Poop, as Jeff dubs him) At first, I felt like we weren’t getting to know each supporting character well enough but isn’t that the point? I mean, Jeff is in this program solely to figure out what his issues are. These are his journal entries we are reading. And it all felt real—I felt anxious with him, sad for him, mortified with him, and so hopeful that maybe it would all work out. The relationship he had with his sister made me laugh the most, though. And the way he came out to his family was just perfect.

While this book definitely deals with a lot of morbid topics, the feel is decidedly optimistic for the most part. I enjoyed the fact that Jeff was very matter-of-fact about most things and the conversations he had with people didn’t really tiptoe around the serious stuff. His doctor/patient relationship with Dr. Katzrupus was a highlight as well.

I’d definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a male voice in the female-saturated YA world. Though I hope this wouldn’t affect anyone’s choice to read a book or not, there are some M/M sexual scenes. Just putting that out there. I’ll definitely read more from this author.
1 vote FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editGreedy Bug Book Reviews, Cindi (Jul 31, 2013)

For Abby McAden, who told me to write it

Lexa Hillyer, who made it better

and Sarah Sevier, who saw it through
"You may think you're fine, but you're not."

Brimming with sarcasm, fifteen-year-old Jeff describes his stay in a psychiatric ward after attempting to commit suicide.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible