Home Sweat Home by Lynn Johnston

Home Sweat Home (2009)

by Lynn Johnston

I find it ironic that "For Better or for Worse" is perhaps one of the most 'American' comic strips of our times, despite its being a Canadian story. In the tradition of the old "Gasoline Alley" strip, which began publication nearly a hundred years ago, Johnston's characters - the Patterson family and friends - grow up and age in a real-time environment. In HOME SWEAT HOME, John and Elly decide to downsize, buying a small house down the street, and sell their long-time home to their son Michael and his growing family. We also see Elly's father Jim still trying to come back from a serious stroke that has left him unable to communicate effectively. His wife, Iris, is doing her best to take care of him. And there is Elizabeth, on the rebound from one love affair and reconnecting with an old boyfriend. And April turns sixteen, which in itself offers a myriad of problems. These FBofW collections are simply a pure joy to read. Comics don't get much better than this. Very highly recommended.

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Dec 30, 2016 |
My kid found this book already torn in half at the playground and spent a happy half hour ripping it comprehensively to shreds, which is basically what this pernicious, counterrevolutionary tripe deserves. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Aug 4, 2016 |
Again, read this while at my parents. I don't find For Better or For Worse particularly funny, but it is an amazing window into someone else's life. Plus they're from Canada! ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
If you've been reading my reviews of the latter For Better or For Worse collections, you've probably caught my subtle hints that I've been increasingly disappointed with the quality of the strip. I pretty much read this, the most recent collection to date, merely so I could say that I've read them all. Oddly enough, this collection wasn't too bad. More jokes, less sermons. Or maybe I was just less cranky.
--J. ( )
  Hamburgerclan | May 9, 2009 |
The trial of Elizabeth's attacker, Howard, concludes and he is found guilty. Jim proceeds with physical therapy, and has lost his ability to speak. Mike finishes the manuscript for his novel just as their apartment goes up in flames and they lose their home. They move in with John and Elly for now. Elizabeth discovers that Paul has been cheating on her and breaks up with him. Mike's book is accepted for publication, with a $25,000 advance, and he quits his job at Portrait magazine. April turns 16 and makes herself over into a "babe". Mike and Deanna buy the Patterson house, and Jon and Elly buy a smaller house down the street. Elizabeth and Anthony attend Shawna-Marie's wedding separately, and finally renew their old romance at the wedding. Shannon makes a stand to protest the ridicule heaped upon her and her special-needs friends every day. A particularly memorable and eventful Patterson chronicle. ( )
  burnit99 | Apr 29, 2008 |

Lynn Johnston is cartooning's reigning master at combining gags with continuity. Her ongoing story of the Patterson family has been one of the most beloved strips for years." -Atlanta Constitution

For Better or For Worse appears in more than 2,000 newspapers in over 20 countries, and is translated into eight languages.

More Home Sweat Home

Lynn Johnston's For Better or For Worse is the world's most popular family strip in which characters have evolved through age and experience, rather than remaining frozen in time.

In Home Sweat Home, moves are afoot aplenty. John and Elly downsize to a new home and Mike and Deanna buy the family homestead to raise their children as a new generation fills the Patterson legacy. Romantic moves abound, too, as Elizabeth has her heart broken only to have it won back by Anthony. April turns sixteen and will soon by driving-which is driving her parents crazy.

* In September 2007, Johnston made an unprecedented move for a cartoonist; she introduced a new format by using current plot lines as a jumping-off point to revisit past storylines that complement the new ones.

Author's web site: http://www.fborfw.com/index.php

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,593,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible