Dr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss's ABC (1963)

by Dr. Seuss

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. (SadieReads)
    SadieReads: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is another alphabet book for small children.

English (153)  German (1)  All languages (154)
I credit this book as the book that taught me how to read, so I will always have a warm place in my heart for Dr. Seuss' ABC (1991). It is a complicated tongue twisting take on the alphabet, and think the silly factor is what makes this such a fun read, and continues to inspire countless children to read. ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 6, 2014 |
A fundamental read for beginners to identify the alphabet
  ecm014 | Dec 1, 2014 |
Perfect for a toddlers learning their letters (ages 3-5). Great patterns and repetition, wonderful for a read-aloud. Silly pictures (as expected from Dr. Seuss). Loved by both my children (3 & 6) and a go-to bedtime book for my husband and I. ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Nov 30, 2014 |
Summary:
This book take the children through the alphabet letter by letter. Each letter is shown in capital and lower case form and has a list of words that start with the letter.
This book is a humorous poem. With all its silly words and sounds they make, there is no actual story or message to the book as a whole. It is informational and teaches children the alphabet.

Personal Reaction:
Dr. Sues is a collection of book I grew up on as well as my children. I enjoy this book no matter how many times I have read it. I like to see how fast I can say some of the words on the pages without making a mistake.

Classroom Extension:
1. You can read the book to help the children recognize letter and have them repeat as you point to them.
2. Choose a letter and have the children think of as many words as they can that starts with that letter.
  CRHamm | Nov 5, 2014 |
This is a classic book and one that I'm sure many children learned their alphabet's from. This book skews more towards early childhood (preschool and kindergarten) but is still relevant and helpful when teaching kids about letters and the sounds that they make. In a typical Dr. Seuss fashion, many of the animals (duck-dog) and illustrations are quirky and out of this world. This contributes to the charm that is typical of a Dr. Seuss book. Like many Dr. Seuss books, the art style is unique and eye-catching. What makes this book so great is that it allows parents and teachers to model the many sounds that letters end of making, allowing them to build their phonemic awareness. Once again, nostalgia plays a big part into why I chose this book to read for the reading logs assignment. Funny thing, reading through the book, I found that all the pages with the letters past "V" are missing. I must have read this book so many times that the pages were falling out. All in all I believe that this is a good book but truly only for the younger children. Once they begin to get older it is important that they begin seeing words and reading books that challenge them. This is a great beginner book but not for older children. ( )
  MattM50 | Oct 27, 2014 |

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mayall, RikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Big A little a What begins with A?

Lawson/LIB 428 Desc. - While this has classic elements of an ABC book, its greatest elements are that is 'not' a classic ABC book. Of the many strengths is that is presents the smaller letter with the larger version and in Seuss style has the rhyme, repeition, alliteration etc. But what I love is the introduction of fun words. Aside from U is for Umbrella it also has D is for Doughnut and C is for Camel rather than the usual words. This is also a board book and perfect for the infant/toddler classroom.

"An alphabet book with zany drawings and nonsensical verse provides an entertaining way for small children to learn the letters and their sounds."--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:34 -0400)

Dr. Seuss presents the letters and their sounds, and shows how the sounds join to form words.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible