Dr. Seuss's ABC / Beginner Books by Dr.…

Dr. Seuss's ABC / Beginner Books (original 1963; edition 1991)

by Dr. Seuss

4,698None1,003 (4.09)21
Member:kenneshabell
Title:Dr. Seuss's ABC / Beginner Books
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Beginner Books (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 63 pages

Dr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. Seuss (1963)

ABC (270) alliteration (31) alphabet (444) alphabet book (74) Beginner Books (22) board book (104) children (121) children's (214) children's book (22) children's books (33) children's fiction (35) children's literature (49) classic (20) Dr. Seuss (356) early reader (25) easy reader (45) fiction (152) hardcover (31) humor (24) kids (55) letters (43) Level P (19) own (26) P (23) picture book (207) poetry (41) rhyme (68) rhymes (26) rhyming (82) Seuss (190)
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. (SadieReads)
    SadieReads: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is another alphabet book for small children.

English (138)  German (1)  All languages (139)
Good for young readers. I would use this in the classroom for the ones learning the alphabet. ( )
  ARamirez33 | Mar 30, 2014 |
Great Seuss illustration and crazy characters. Like most Seuss books he does a great job with rhymes and use of 2-3 syllable words to match each letter. He also does a great job of introducing many nonsense words that help kids phonetically sound our letters so they can recall them down the road. Also enjoyed the way Seuss can construct a sentence using the same beginning letter.
  Phil9 | Mar 16, 2014 |
There are two reasons why I like this book. The first reason is the language. Dr. Seuss incorporates his famous whimsical rhyming aspect to teach children the alphabet. Along with each letter, he adds not only a realistic word that children can pair it with, but a silly one as well. The second reason I enjoyed this book was the illustrations because they are typical of Dr. Seuss and fit the written text very well. The illustrations are of fun engaging characters including a lower and upper case letter displayed. Overall the "big idea" of the story is that there are fun and silly ways to learn the letters of the alphabet. I think it is a great classic for children. ( )
  ckelly16 | Mar 14, 2014 |
This book tackles the alphabet with typical Seussical flair. There's no storyline, just a variety of alliterative statements for each letter of the alphabet. Like with a lot of Dr. Seuss's books, these statements include a combination of the real and the fantastic. Usually I don't mind that about Dr. Seuss, but here I find it a bit strange. Do you really want to teach children that Z is for a "Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz"? Maybe that's just me, but I find random choices like that one to be counterproductive. At any rate, I have found that kids do love this book, so it could just be me. It's certainly a fine addition to any library collection, it's just not my favorite Dr. Seuss. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 8, 2014 |
There are three reasons why I love this book. The first reason is the language. I love how the author incorporated different words that start with each latter and not only one. This way the children learn more words that start with each letter. My second reason is definitely the illustrations. I love how there are the lower case letters and the bigger case letters. This way the children learn both letters. In addition the pictures are very colorful and very eye catching. This book pushes the readers to learn the alphabet in a fun way and also learn different words that start with each letter. The big idea of this book is to learn the alphabet and each letter but in a fun way. Great book to use for little children. ( )
  dtato1 | Feb 13, 2014 |

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mayall, RikNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Big A little a What begins with A?

Lawson/LIB 428 Desc. - While this has classic elements of an ABC book, its greatest elements are that is 'not' a classic ABC book. Of the many strengths is that is presents the smaller letter with the larger version and in Seuss style has the rhyme, repeition, alliteration etc. But what I love is the introduction of fun words. Aside from U is for Umbrella it also has D is for Doughnut and C is for Camel rather than the usual words. This is also a board book and perfect for the infant/toddler classroom.

"An alphabet book with zany drawings and nonsensical verse provides an entertaining way for small children to learn the letters and their sounds."--Booklist.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:34 -0400)

Dr. Seuss presents the letters and their sounds, and shows how the sounds join to form words.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible