Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell,…

Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon--and the Journey of…

by Sheila Weller

5142019,733 (3.55)24

I liked this very much. Won't change my listening habits much but I thought Weller did a good job with the social/political context of the songs and careers. I was especially interested in her observations on marriage and motherhood. Great bibliography - I love when authors include fiction in their researcj. Clearly, I need to read some Alice Adams.

Ay-yi-yi though, those ladies slept around. I was exhausted just reading about it. I mean, is there enough time in any given day?

laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
nteresting bios

I was taken back by the complexity of their lives (although I shouldn't have been) and especially enjoyed learning what motivated a particular song. ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 22, 2016 |

Two stars for subject.

The book is about Joni Mitchell, Carole King, & Carly Simon.....their music, lives, & loves (some handed down & around).

I did not like the book: It began with a supposed diary entry of Carole's best young time friend about the day Carole chose her new last name King (it was Klein)....then in midstream I was reading about a young pregnant Joanie Anderson (now Mitchell)...and then I was reading about a stage frightened Carly Simon.

The book kept shifting between the three women and was not written in a contiguous chronological order. I sure couldn't follow it.

Also the author inserted suppositions....and I could not figure out how she could possibly know if she wasn't there.....

I was very disappointed....At least the photos made some sense to me of what what was going on in their lives...and those I could follow. ( )
1 vote Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
At almost 600 pages, there's no point in picking this book up without an interest in the subject. That was not a problem for me, since the subjects are 3 singers whose work provided an important sound track to my youth: Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon. Tapestry, No Secrets, and Ladies of the Canyon (and Blue) all came out when I was in college, and Joni especially got played over and over. These artists also had men falling all over them (some famous), and there's plenty of gossip. ( )
  ennie | Feb 18, 2014 |
I haven't even finished this book. Unless you are just Totally engrossed in the era of Joni Mitchel Carole Kind and Carly Simon (Whom I was reading it for) It is just a total bore. Sorry every one. ( )
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |
How you feel about Sheila Weller’s “Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon — and the Journey of a Generation” may depend on how you respond to Weller’s dedication, which reads: “To the women of the 1960s generation. (Were we not the best?)”

added by danielx | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Jun 5, 2011)

To the women of the 1960s generation (Were we not the best?)
One day after school, fourteen-year-old Carole Klein sat on the edge of her bed in a room wallpapered with pictures of movie stars and the singers who played Alan Freed's rock 'n' roll shows at the Brooklyn Paramount.

A groundbreaking and irresistible biography of three of America's most important musical artists -- Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon -- charts their lives as women at a magical moment in time.

Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon remain among the most enduring and important women in popular music. Each woman is distinct. Carole King is the product of outer-borough, middle-class New York City; Joni Mitchell is a granddaughter of Canadian farmers; and Carly Simon is a child of the Manhattan intellectual upper crust. They collectively represent, in their lives and their songs, a great swath of American girls who came of age in the late 1960s. Their stories trace the arc of the now mythic sixties generation -- female version -- but in a bracingly specific and deeply recalled way, far from cliché. The history of the women of that generation has never been written -- until now, through their resonant lives and emblematic songs.

Filled with the voices of many dozens of these women's intimates, who are speaking in these pages for the first time, this alternating biography reads like a novel -- except it's all true, and the heroines are famous and beloved. Sheila Weller captures the character of each woman and gives a balanced portrayal enriched by a wealth of new information.

Girls Like Us is an epic treatment of midcentury women who dared to break tradition and become what none had been before them -- confessors in song, rock superstars, and adventurers of heart and soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:15 -0400)

"Girls Like Us" is a groundbreaking and irresistible biography of three of America's most important musical artists--Carly Simon, Carole King, and Joni Mitchell--and offers an epic treatment of these mid-century women who dared to break tradition.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,389,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible