The Case For Make-Believe: Saving Play in a…

The Case For Make-Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World

by Susan Linn

The detrimental effects of commercialism on the development of creativity and intellect in young children. Soundly reasoned and articulately argued with lots of practical advice. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
The author makes the case supporting play for its many benefits and as a critical element in childhood development. Details both daily play and therapeutic play. Provides information on advocacy groups.
  jconnell | Oct 6, 2013 |
Love. Love. Love.

As the mama of a kid coping with a chronic illness (Type I diabetes) and its invasive treatment and monitoring, hospitalizations, and generally all-consuming nature, I found this book's case studies of using play as a way to work through the rage and anger that accompanies illness in kids insightful and heartening.

Her broader views and recommendations about incorporating more free play and less character/media/screen play into everyday life are totally on point with what we're trying to do in our family (and what we've seen in other families). ( )
  beckydj | Mar 30, 2013 |
Tiger mom should read this book. ( )
  mayumikamon | Feb 8, 2011 |
This is one of the best books I've read on children, play and the power of media. Her book helped me realize I've been on the right track with keeping my kids screen free while they are young.
Linn looks at plays role in child development, and how it is an essential component of growing up. Play is now threatened by commercialism.
This book gives me the fuel I need to know I am going in the right direction. ( )
  robertainez | Feb 26, 2009 |

"In her book, The Case for Make Believe, Linn argues that while play is crucial to human development and children are born with an innate capacity for make believe, the convergence of ubiquitous technology and unfettered commercialism actually prevents them from playing. In modern-day America, nurturing creative play is not only counter-cultural - it threatens corporate profits." "In an era when toys come from television and media companies sell videos as brain-builders for babies, Linn lays out the inextricable links between play, creativity, and health, showing us how and why to preserve the space for make believe that children need to be happy and to become productive adults."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible