Prisoner by Megan Derr

Prisoner

by Megan Derr

DNF - Snoozefest Central

SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
This was my reread of the new edition. And it's still such an amazing story that sucked me in like I haven't already read it a bunch of times. Kick ass world building and characters that just draw you in and keep you turning the pages.

I definitely enjoyed the added scene between Dieter and Beraht at the end. *grins*

I think if the author put together a book of just short stories of them two I might actually die of a fangasm. ;)

Really though, I can't recommend this highly enough.

(ETA - Currently rereading the newer edition) ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
The world building was spectacular and the character development was top notch. Derr was able to winder multiple threads of a complicated plot into a tightly woven tale that kept me engaged right to the end. This is one of the best books I've read this year and it just might end up on my favorites shelf. :) ( )
  Shanna_McConnell | May 11, 2013 |
- Read for an MMR Bingo Challenge: Fantasy -

Megan Derr is a good writer. I raced through this story because it was exciting and I want to know what happened next, almost all of the way through. The world with its three societies in conflict was really interesting and the concept of the magic drug arcen was intriguing and scary. Illusor's quandary was riveting, as was their peril after Beraht breaks their magic, leaving them almost defenseless.

But: her editor needed to do a better job. I also skimmed in several places because there was way too much repetition, especially in dialog. The two MC's have essentially the same conversations over and over. I also got tired of the torture and violence, and the yelling, hitting, and arguing on the part of most of the characters.

Plot and world: five stars. Characters and dialog: three stars. Overall: four stars. ( )
  Charming2020 | Mar 31, 2013 |
To my family
Dieter scrubbed at his face, willing away his exhaustion.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,066,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible