Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969)

by Al Perkins, Eric Gurney (Illustrator)

1,204246,655 (4.18)19
Recently added byprivate library, sobcrca, rkstafford, DMNHedu, u2guru, KDKat5, Alloc, METucker, 6boysandme

Be prepared to ascribed the melodic “Dum ditty / Dum ditty / Dum dum dum” to every aspect of life after reading this book. This board book charmingly engages the mind, utilizing simple but effective rhythms that match tempo with the tactile stimuli presented within the story. Colors and shapes abound as a band of monkeys roam through the musical world, encountering new colors and objects in ways that make counting and identification fun. Through this repetition of colors, shapes, and counts the book progresses to increasingly complex interactions that invite interaction rather than boredom. Not surprisingly, the book contains many potential lessons, identifying body parts, learning to play with a drum, counting (how many rings are on the monkey’s finger?), learning colors, and the various things hands are able to do. The book is also well constructed to withstand the temptation of play, and the size is perfect for inquisitive hands with easy to turn pages. ( )
  kornelas1 | Sep 17, 2014 |
I remember this one so well that I had to chant it aloud with a smile on my face. It's been a while. I got a couple of the dum ditty's & hum ditty's confused, but not bad after 20 years. I guess I read it A LOT for most of a decade. Cute pictures, too.

Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. I had to read them first. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
This book focuses on the different things you can do/ put on your hands, fingers and thumbs. It is a very melodic book and one that even more than 25 years later I can still remember quite vividly. This is a very good book for teaching young children certain sight words and can help them with pronunciation if they have problems with the 'th' sound. In a classroom, I would show them the animated storybook video after reading the book. I would also give them small drums and let them have a parade of music like in the book. ( )
  hellwanger | Jul 7, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book “Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb” by Al Perkins. I liked the fact that the author wrote the book in a simple manner, using a few simple rhyming phrases following a simple pattern of beats. The book reads like singing a song and encourages the reader to continue forward to the next page. The illustrations of monkeys banging on drums are simple and I enjoy the familiar “Dr. Seuss” style of the drawings. As the book progresses the amount of monkeys increases until it is finally millions of monkeys on the final few pages. The book does a good job of telling a simple story through the use of rhyme and even injects some mathematical concepts through the increasing numbers of the monkeys. The big idea of the book is less about story and more intended as a tool to develop reading skills including fluency and phonemic awareness. ( )
  awhite43 | Feb 17, 2014 |
-one of my favorite poems, still ( )
  mykl-s | Aug 28, 2013 |
"It's not (just) the refrain that makes this book so great -- it's the monkeys. Illustrator Eric Gurney's drumming monkeys are a motley collection of comic beatnik simians, sporting sweater-vests, giant muttonchops, goatees, and big golden rings."

Al Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurney, EricIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
actually authored by Al Perkins

Illus. in full color. A madcap band of dancing, prancing monkeys explain hands, fingers, and thumbs to beginning readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:44 -0400)

Easy-to-read rhyming text describes what can be done on a drum with hand, fingers, and thumb.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible