Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969)

by Al Perkins, Eric Gurney (Illustrator)

1,319295,901 (4.14)22

I think this will be a fav with H who seems to like music. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I liked this book. I liked this book because I thought the text was fun and engaging. Young readers will like the rhymes and rhythm of the story. The common line, "dum, ditty dum, ditty, dum, dum dum" makes it sound as if this book is a song. I also liked the whimsical illustrations that went along with the text. I thought they very Dr. Seus like and added color to the text. The big idea of this book is sequencing and rhyming. ( )
  lmorte1 | Oct 20, 2015 |
This is a cute little book that explains hands, fingers and thumbs. This is definitely a book for very early readers. I read this book with my two year-olds at work and they love to wave their hands around during certain parts of the book. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This is worthy and spirited, although its manic energy and island rhythms would have been better served if it came with, like, a set of bongo drums (ditty drums ditty drums drums drums). But one makes do, of course, especially if one is a one-year-old one with a fine set of hands hands fingers thumbs for bashing and a throat for monkey calls. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Apr 22, 2015 |
I really like this book for multiple reasons. First, I like the language the author used. The author used patterned language like, “Monkeys drum….and monkeys hum” that engages the reader to the story. Second, I like how the text and story creates music. While I read, “One hand two hands drumming on a drum. Dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum”, I could hear the beat in my head. The language is also patterned because the beat, “dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum” is repeated multiple times throughout the book. The more the text shows this, the more the reader can really feel the beat, which is the purpose of repeating it. Third, I like how the text also shows different kinds of instruments and the sounds they make. For example, it says, “Hands play banjos strum strum strum” and “Hands play fiddles zum zum zum.” The reader can infer what kind of noise these instruments make by reading the text and creating a beat to go along with it. The main idea of this book is to show its readers what they can do with their hands, fingers, thumbs such as picking apples and plums, and playing drums. ( )
  LaurenVormack | Mar 3, 2015 |
"It's not (just) the refrain that makes this book so great -- it's the monkeys. Illustrator Eric Gurney's drumming monkeys are a motley collection of comic beatnik simians, sporting sweater-vests, giant muttonchops, goatees, and big golden rings."

Al Perkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gurney, EricIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
actually authored by Al Perkins

Illus. in full color. A madcap band of dancing, prancing monkeys explain hands, fingers, and thumbs to beginning readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:26 -0400)

Easy-to-read rhyming text describes what can be done on a drum with hand, fingers, and thumb.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,950,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible