Inda by Sherwood Smith

Inda

by Sherwood Smith

Series: Inda (1), Sartorias-deles (1)

(First of 4: Inda series. Fantasy, epic fantasy)

Set on Smith's world of Sartoria-deles, this series follows a time period in the history of the country of Iasca Leror. The first book focuses on Inda, son of the Prince of Chorad Elgaer, from the age of ten upto about sixteen. He lives in a martial society, the Iascans having recently (though not in living memory) been conquered by the Marlovans. Though the two races are now integrated, the nobles are descended from the Marlovans, and Marlovan is only spoken as a battle language. Marlovans specialise in cavalry warfare and are constantly fending off attacks by pirates and the sea-faring Venn (similar to Vikings), with whom they share their ancestry.

Inda comes from a noble family and, as such, his life path is very structured, including being brought up with his future wife (from another noble family) who will help organise internal castle defences, should the need arise. As the second son of a noble, Inda expects to grow up to defend his brother's castle while his brother defends their lands. As such, his older brother goes to be trained at the Royal Academy to learn to defend the country with the other land heirs while Inda stays at home. Traditionally, of second sons, only the king's second son is trained at the Academy - but when he is due to start, the king makes a surprise announcement and orders a group formed of noble second sons of a similar age to join him at the Academy. So Inda makes friends with Sponge. He also gets to see more of his own sister, Hadand, who is betrothed to the king's heir (known by his title of the Sierlaef).

This book is well written. Though it focuses on Inda and his friends, the war games they learn at the Academy and the pranks they pull, it is told from many points of view and gives an all-round perspective of the kingdom. We get to see some of Hadand's life and her training in martial arts and politics in defense of the kingdom. We see the thinking of a person in a position of power who, while unquestionably loyal to king and country, has their own ambitions and ideas of the future direction of the country. Though other people realise this, they cannot overtly move to block them. This person holds a secret grudge against Inda's family and, along with their plans for the Sierlaef, makes life difficult for Inda and for Sponge, who is the Sierlaef's brother.

Engrossing, very well worth reading. Epic and well written. At one point I found myself chuckling at a funny incident, and I realised it was probably the description of the ten year boys' reaction rather than the incident itself that got me laughing. I have almost finished the second book and am thoroughly enjoying it.

5***** ( )
  humouress | Aug 6, 2017 |
(34) Well . . . I have a confession to make . . . I loved this. I groaned inwardly when the series was given to me as an unsolicited lend; I have trouble refusing to read something someone has picked out for me given my reverence for books and readers. And certainly I loved 'Game of Thrones,' and 'Harry Potter,' like the rest of the world. But I still thought I was above something like this - the cheesy cover alone and the author's flamboyant (must be) pen name is cringeworthy enough to have me avoid reading this in public. And yet. And yet, it was fabulous!

Inda is a small boy - second son of a prince in another world. A world with detailed geography, customs, language, governments and hierarchy which are richly imagined down to a detailed map. There are politics and age-old grudges that conspire to doom Inda and his friendship with Sponge, the king of the realm's bookish second son. I won't say more -- but the story is intricate, fairly well-paced, and engaging.

Perhaps, longer than it needed to be in parts and surely not literature but it was really entertaining and transporting. It looks like a bit of an undiscovered gem, at least here on LT. It would make a great Netflix series and the best part of all is that it was written by a woman. The female characters are as fierce and unyielding as the men with the same appetites - than in and of itself is a reason to celebrate. I will eagerly read on with the series. ( )
  jhowell | Jul 23, 2017 |
The first half of the book was a chore for me, not particulary enamoured of young boys and their bonding via violence and misery, but once the second half began the book became far far better, and had me eagerly reading until the end.

Interesting characters well drawn, a complex and interesting created world. My only other complaint is the ending is ... not. Definitely cliffhanger and a high one at that. Still, I suspect I'll read on fairly soon. ( )
  majkia | Apr 26, 2017 |
With [b:Inda|222837|Inda (Inda, #1)|Sherwood Smith|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172850932s/222837.jpg|215796], Smith introduces a complex world peopled with strong, disparate characters. The plot itself is fairly simple: a young noble boy is sent to the martial academy, where he makes friends with the despised younger brother of the King's heir. The world building is surprisingly unique and thorough. Linguistics are important; personalities are important; tactics are important. The first half of the book is a thrilling, engaging story of warrior training and intrigue, sure to be loved by anyone who liked Pierce's stories, or Lackey's of Valdemar.

And then, Smith goes a bit awry. Inda is abruptly shipped off to sea, splitting the narrative one too many times. This is the story's one weakness: Smith tells it from every possible angle. And truthfully, I don't need to know what every single person is doing, or thinking--I just need enough perspective to know what's going on and why it's important. There are far too many characters who get narration, and it gets frustrating. Think the middle section of any of the [b:Redwall|7996|Redwall (Redwall, #1)|Brian Jacques|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1165652142s/7996.jpg|486980] series, or [b:The Two Towers|15241|The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166672084s/15241.jpg|2963845], times 10. It's frustrating, and slows the story down a great deal.

Still, this is a great adventure story, with memorable characters and some first-rate world-building. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I am several chapters in and now I can't find it... ( )
  aputel | May 18, 2015 |

Sherwood Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0756404223, Mass Market Paperback)

Acclaimed author Sherwood Smith's first adult fantasy novel, set in the bestselling world of Crown Duel.

Indevan-Dal is the second son of the Prince and Princess of Choraed Elgaer, destined to become his elder brother Tanrid's Shield Arm-his military champion. Like all second sons, he is to be privately trained at home by Tanrid, the brother whose lands he will one day protect.

When the King's Voice comes to summon Inda to the Military Academy, he might well feel foreboding, or even fear-war is imminent-yet youthful Inda feels only excitement. But there are things that Tanrid hadn't prepared him for, and Inda will soon learn that the greatest threats to his safety will not come from foreign enemies, but from supposed allies within his own country.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

Inda, the second son of the Prince and Princess of Choraed Elgaer, is sent to the King's Academy where, while training to become his brother's military champion, he is subjected to cruelty at the hands of the other students and decides to fight back.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible