The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural…

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (2006)

by Michael Pollan

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler (AmourFou)
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honore (Musecologist)
    Altered Genes, Twisted Truth: How the Venture to Genetically Engineer Our Food Has Subverted Science, Corrupted Government, and Systematically Deceived the Public by Steven Druker (davidgn)
    Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar (Othemts)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Mercy For Animals: One Man's Quest to Inspire Compassion and Improve the Lives of Farm Animals by Nathan Runkle (renardkitsune)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (294)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (296)
Well done. An honest study of food and where it comes from. While he doesn't hide his views, I appreciate that Michael Pollan doesn't preach about the evils of food corporations, or condemn all eaters who differ with his ideals, as would be so easy to do in a book such as this. Rather he simply takes us on his journey about discovering where our food comes from (you all know this, right?) and how it arrives at our tables. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
Easy popular lighthearted read that looks at modern environmental food ethics and the cultural history of them through a personal biographical narrative that keeps it intimate. A bit long winded and I found myself getting bored half way through because I was already intimately familiar with the subject from my earlier environmental food studies. Oh, and I like to eat raw whale when I'm in Japan to give you the perspective I'm coming from...my food doesn't have morals it has flavor and nutrients. ( )
  Chickenman | Sep 10, 2018 |
While at times it became challenging to devour, this book is a must read to understand the scientific and philosophical underpinnings to our eating habits. ( )
  TheBibliophage | Mar 20, 2018 |
A coworker lent this to me because he thought I'd like it and also observed what I was eating at the time- "Just curious to see how that will change over the next couple weeks." It was a Dr Pepper and a yoplait yogurt at the time, and tbh I'm probably still going to consume Dr Pepper and yogurt even though I'm aware they're pretty much sugary corn manifestations. Like Pollan discusses in the conclusion, a McDonalds meal and a foraged meal are opposites on a continuum, and neither should be the only way to eat... that being said, you can definitely be more conscious about what and how you eat.

Other stray thoughts:
-whenever Pollan mentions food faddists, I can't help but think of today's paleo crowd- this book was published in 2006 which I *think* predates the movement as the current fad at the time was low carb. I think paleo has its good points, but it's not THE way to consume.

-something that's not addressed but likely covered in other books (like [b:Bet the Farm: How Food Stopped Being Food|13719872|Bet the Farm How Food Stopped Being Food|Frederick Kaufman|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1355907184s/13719872.jpg|19352558]) is how can we make nutritious, wholesome food available to a wider population? He does mention that while processed foods are cheap, they are deceptively so because the public health and environmental costs are hidden away from the consumer. Weirdly, I'm reminded of how American restaurants expect the patron to determine tip while other countries build it into the price of food so servers have a living wage, idk. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
used this book as a text in my first-year writing class for several years with good success. ( )
  Bakhtin | Oct 24, 2017 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gissinger, HansCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?
The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Readers Edition, and The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids are three separate works. Please do not combine them.

One of the New York Times Book Review's Ten Best Books of the Year

Winner of the James Beard Award

Author of #1 New York Times Bestsellers In Defense of Food and Food Rules

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, as the dawn of the twenty-first century, may determine our survival as a species. Packed with profound surprises, The Omnivore's Dilemma is changing the way Americans thing about the politics, perils, and pleasures of eating.

Coming from The Penguin Press in 2013, Michael Pollan’s newest book Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation--the story of our most trusted food expert’s culinary education

"Thoughtful, engrossing ... You're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from."
-The New York Times Book Review

"An eater's manifesto ... [Pollan's] cause is just, his thinking is clear, and his writing is compelling. Be careful of your dinner!"
-The Washington Post

"Outstanding... a wide-ranging invitation to think through the moral ramifications of our eating habits."
--The New Yorker

"If you ever thought 'what's for dinner' was a simple question, you'll change your mind after reading Pollan's searing indictment of today's food industry-and his glimpse of some inspiring alternatives.... I just loved this book so much I didn't want it to end."
-The Seattle Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, at the dawn of the twenty-first century may determine our survival as a species.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,816,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible