The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of…

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (2006)

by Michael Pollan

What should we have for dinner? When you can eat just about anything nature (or the supermarket) has to offer, deciding what you should eat will inevitably stir anxiety, especially when some of the foods might shorten your life. Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from a national eating disorder. As the cornucopia of the modern American supermarket and fast food outlet confronts us with a bewildering and treacherous landscape, what's at stake becomes not only our own and our children's health, but the health of the environment that sustains life on earth. Pollan follows each of the food chains--industrial food, organic or alternative food, and food we forage ourselves--from the source to the final meal, always emphasizing our coevolutionary relationship with the handful of plant and animal species we depend on. The surprising answers Pollan offers have profound political, economic, psychological, and even moral implications for all of us.--From publisher description.… (more)
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honoré (Musecologist)
    Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler (AmourFou)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Mercy For Animals: One Man's Quest to Inspire Compassion and Improve the Lives of Farm Animals by Nathan Runkle (renardkitsune)
    Altered Genes, Twisted Truth: How the Venture to Genetically Engineer Our Food Has Subverted Science, Corrupted Government, and Systematically Deceived the Public by Steven Druker (davidgn)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar (Othemts)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (296)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (298)
Entertaining and informative, this book will have you thinking about your eating habits long after you put it down. ( )
  SavannahCajka | Jul 28, 2019 |
An important book I will try to get a bunch of people to read. Truly terrible about the U. S. subsidies for the corn growing monoculture and the massive cruelty to the vast majority of farm animals who are made to eat it because its cheap. But in parts deeply inspiring about smarter small rotational farming and a revelation about hunting wild pigs and gathering wild mushrooms. Highly recommended. ( )
  Matt_B | May 10, 2019 |
This book has profoundly changed my view on my food, and subsequently, my world. I have read many nonfiction books, but nothing was so personal as this investigation on where our food comes from. Pollan sets put to investigate four markedly different food chains, and ends up having to revise his world view, and acquire new friends in search for a profound understanding of food, nature, and humanity.

I have finished this on Feb 28, 2019. I will write a longer review when I collect my thoughts. There is plenty of food for thought (pardon the pun... did not intend it but hey, it fits.) ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
very good book about healty eating ( )
  lucaconti | Jan 24, 2019 |
Well done. An honest study of food and where it comes from. While he doesn't hide his views, I appreciate that Michael Pollan doesn't preach about the evils of food corporations, or condemn all eaters who differ with his ideals, as would be so easy to do in a book such as this. Rather he simply takes us on his journey about discovering where our food comes from (you all know this, right?) and how it arrives at our tables. ( )
  snotbottom | Sep 19, 2018 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gissinger, HansCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?
The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Readers Edition, and The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids are three separate works. Please do not combine them.
ISBN 0606087230 is for The Omnivore's Dilemma: The Secrets Behind What You Eat, Young Readers Edition

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,858,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible