The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural…

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Michael Pollan

Member:huggingthecoast
Title:The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
Authors:Michael Pollan
Info:Penguin (2007), Paperback, 464 pages

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (2006)

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck (night_sky)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honore (Musecologist)
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (257)  Spanish (1)  All languages (258)
This book is incredible. It is an entertaining and intelligently written analysis and medititation on food in America from industrial corn and feed lots to big organic and Whole Foods, and finally to our human roots as hunter-gatherers. I learned things about corn I never knew before, and things about mass-produced meat that turned my stomach. The Omnivore's Dilemma has me looking up mushroom hunting in my area.

If you are interested in cooking, eating, chemistry, history, culture, sustainability or are curious about how your food is made, this will be an interesting read for you. ( )
  laluneestjolie | Jan 3, 2015 |
Subject matter and research aside, Pollan's style is simply lovely; the writing is far better than the usual journalism-nonfiction book, which makes it a pleasure to read and re-read. As for the substance, his subject is interesting; his research and reporting are well done and seem to have held up; and the book has been extremely influential to me and family as well as, apparently, many others. If authors are like dinner companions, he is welcome at my table any time. He manages to have a point of view without being dogmatic or ideological; he tells personal stories and anecdotes without being boring and annoying; he knows what he's talking about while leaving room for new information and interpretations; he displays curiosity, critical thinking, and good humor; in short, an extremely pleasant companion. ( )
  charliesierra | Nov 10, 2014 |
This book follows the journey of the author as he seeks to follow the course his food takes from wherever it is grown/raised all the way to his plate. The first part of the book, with its description of how corn has changed the way everybody in America eats (without us really knowing it), is very interesting and I'd give that part five stars. The rest of the book I'd give three stars. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
It's not often that a book can immediately change the way you live your day-to-day life. But The Omnivore's Dilemma changed mine, immediately.

For me, it was just a matter of learning things I didn't know before. I didn't have to be convinced to change my behavior. I just had to gain full knowledge of what my behavior was supporting--its effects on my body, on society, on the environment, and on the world around me. And that was enough.

So much of the food we buy and eat today goes to such great lengths to conceal its origins and its larger effect on the world. Take some time to learn what you're putting into your body and what you're spending your money on. Then think about why. Then decide what you want to do about it.

Instead of going on about how important this book was to me (and completely avoiding any analysis of it as a work of literature), I think the best way to demonstrate some of the changes I've made is to share a few of the websites I've recently bookmarked. Once I started reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, I started researching on my own. How can I make practical changes in my own life? With more information and knowledge of local resources.

• Co-op Directory Service: Find a co-op with local, natural food near you! Plus a few good articles about where we get the food we eat.

• Local Harvest: Farms, CSAs, you-pick, farmer's markets, meat processors... a great way to find local places near you to get quality food.

• Eat Wild: Another place to find good farmers, markets, and buying clubs near you, with an emphasis on pasture products like grass-fed cows.

• Pick Your Own: I'd actually found this site a year prior to reading The Omnivore's Dilemma when I started canning vegetables from my garden. But the site has a ton more resources about local pick-your-own farms and how to safely store food. And you've never had anything like the homemade ketchup recipe on this site.

• When are they in season?: Some really nice graphics showing when certain fruits, veggies, and herbs are in season in the Northern hemisphere. Another couple options here. (I found both through this site.)

• How to harvest wild yeast: Near the end of the book, Michael Pollan makes bread from yeast he harvests from the air. Seriously! And it's good! So that must be worth a try. (I haven't followed these instructions yet, and they seems a bit more complicated than how he describes it, but I intend to try this soon.)

• Citric acid: Not one person I've mentioned this to knew it already: citric acid is a corn product! Pretty much every ingredient you can't immediately picture is a corn product! Actual corn is great, but don't you want to know what you're putting in your body?

• Corn-free living: Since learning how MUCH corn we eat on a daily basis, I started to wonder. What do people with corn allergies eat? Could I make at least one meal without a single corn product? Yes, I can. (Hint: it mostly just involves avoiding processed foods.)

• Dog Food Advisor: This one is a little tangential. I used to think I was feeding my dog good, dry food. But I thought he had a sensitive stomach, because the tiniest change would throw him off. Now that I have more information, I know the food wasn't very good. He hasn't gotten sick once on the new food we picked out after consulting this site, despite the fact that I accidentally switched flavors on him while he was on antibiotics after minor surgery.

• CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture): This site kept popping up in my searches. It's an organization based around Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market in San Francisco and has a ton of local resources. But it also has a lot of general information about food that can benefit everyone.

Ohio-focused info (I live in central Ohio, and naturally, I looked first for information about my local area. I'm sure a quick search would turn up similar resources for your area.)

• Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association: Ohio-based group with many webinars and in-person events about local, healthy, sustainable, and organic food. You can also search for products and farms and get updates on farm policy.

• Fox Hollow Farm: A sustainable farm in central Ohio (where I live) that seems very much in line with how Michael Pollan describes Polyface. I've missed the on-farm events for this season, but I plan to get here as soon as possible.

• Ohio wildlife species guides: I find I'm really curious about the plants and animals around me now. What could I eat? What should I avoid? What is invasive? What the heck is eating my Brussels sprout plants? These guides by Ohio Department of Natural Resources help.

• Snowville Creamery: If you're drinking or eating dairy other than Snowville in central Ohio, you are so doing it wrong. Improve your life. (This Mother Jones article explains why you may be able to enjoy Snowville even if you think you're lactose intolerant.)

• Clintonville Community Market (aka, the Clintonville Co-Op): Great local options for whole foods, processed foods, and even beauty supplies. I've been a member for a couple years, but I'm lazy about getting there since it's not in my neighborhood. Probably time to get over that.

I hope that small peek conveys an idea of the wealth of information out there. You don't have to buy into a corporate or industrial food system. You have many options whether you live in the country or the city. All you need is knowledge!
  JLSmither | Sep 28, 2014 |
Anyone who can eat a steak while reading Animal Liberation by Pete Singer has a much stronger stomach than I do. ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Wonderful Book!

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?

One of the New York Times Book Review's Ten Best Books of the Year

Winner of the James Beard Award

Author of #1 New York Times Bestsellers In Defense of Food and Food Rules

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, as the dawn of the twenty-first century, may determine our survival as a species. Packed with profound surprises, The Omnivore's Dilemma is changing the way Americans thing about the politics, perils, and pleasures of eating.

Coming from The Penguin Press in 2013, Michael Pollan’s newest book Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation--the story of our most trusted food expert’s culinary education

"Thoughtful, engrossing ... You're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from."
-The New York Times Book Review

"An eater's manifesto ... [Pollan's] cause is just, his thinking is clear, and his writing is compelling. Be careful of your dinner!"
-The Washington Post

"Outstanding... a wide-ranging invitation to think through the moral ramifications of our eating habits."
--The New Yorker

"If you ever thought 'what's for dinner' was a simple question, you'll change your mind after reading Pollan's searing indictment of today's food industry-and his glimpse of some inspiring alternatives.... I just loved this book so much I didn't want it to end."
-The Seattle Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:15 -0400)

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, at the dawn of the twenty-first century may determine our survival as a species.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,122,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible