The omnivore's dilemma : a natural history…

The omnivore's dilemma : a natural history of four meals (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Michael Pollan

Member:sjnorquist
Title:The omnivore's dilemma : a natural history of four meals
Authors:Michael Pollan
Info:New York : Penguin, 2007, c2006.
Tags:Food, agricultural

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (2006)

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck (night_sky)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honore (Musecologist)
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar (Othemts)
    Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler (AmourFou)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (276)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (278)
I was tempted to give 4 stars because there are points in which this gets a bit wandering - it's never uninteresting writing, but here and there repetitive, I think because Pollan knows how important his subject is and doesn't want us to miss anything. However, it IS such an important book and I enjoyed it so much that I recommend it to absolutely everyone. For the five thousandth time, it's not about being vegetarian, though I am - it's about thinking more about where our food comes from, what we put in our bodies, and what that means. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
This was a fun, quick, interesting read. Basically, Michael Pollan takes you through his own investigation into four types of food chains: the big industrial food chain, through which most of us get our food; the big organic food chain, which in some ways has significantly less negative impact on the environment (no runoff from chemical pesticides, for example) but in other ways is also troubling (planting only one crop to maximize efficiency isn't as good for the soil; shipping nationwide consumes fossil fuels far out of proportion to the energy provided by the food itself); the local food chain (farmers' markets, etc.); and hunting/gathering. The last two were the most fun to read about; he spends some time on a small farm in Virginia that provided a lot of insight into the concept of sustainability, and the "hunting" part of exploring the hunter/gatherer chain was pretty amusing.

Am I going to change my eating habits after reading this book? Probably not dramatically. I don't feel any compulsion toward becoming vegetarian, for example. But I did absorb some of his arguments about why it's really worthwhile to pay the higher prices for organic eggs and such -- because the cheap price of supermarket eggs doesn't include the cost of cleaning up the pollution it causes, and involves some seriously inhumane treatment of the chickens that provide the eggs. So will I rationalize buying organic a little more frequently? I hope so. I'll probably also pay more attention to the presence of high fructose corn syrup in my food, and try to avoid it when I can. Those may be small changes, but it means this book had an impact, and for that reason alone is worth passing along. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Great book!! A little boring at parts with all the history, and not completely consistent I found with the citing of sources during the book (he says them at the end), but other than that, great! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Anya Rosen
  Glynwood | Jan 28, 2016 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Wonderful Book!

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?
The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Readers Edition, and The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids are three separate works. Please do not combine them.

One of the New York Times Book Review's Ten Best Books of the Year

Winner of the James Beard Award

Author of #1 New York Times Bestsellers In Defense of Food and Food Rules

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, as the dawn of the twenty-first century, may determine our survival as a species. Packed with profound surprises, The Omnivore's Dilemma is changing the way Americans thing about the politics, perils, and pleasures of eating.

Coming from The Penguin Press in 2013, Michael Pollan’s newest book Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation--the story of our most trusted food expert’s culinary education

"Thoughtful, engrossing ... You're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from."
-The New York Times Book Review

"An eater's manifesto ... [Pollan's] cause is just, his thinking is clear, and his writing is compelling. Be careful of your dinner!"
-The Washington Post

"Outstanding... a wide-ranging invitation to think through the moral ramifications of our eating habits."
--The New Yorker

"If you ever thought 'what's for dinner' was a simple question, you'll change your mind after reading Pollan's searing indictment of today's food industry-and his glimpse of some inspiring alternatives.... I just loved this book so much I didn't want it to end."
-The Seattle Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, at the dawn of the twenty-first century may determine our survival as a species.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,254,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible