The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural…

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Michael Pollan

9,645None298 (4.25)404
Member:lemanakmelo
Title:The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
Authors:Michael Pollan
Info:Penguin (2007), Paperback, 450 pages
Rating:*****

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (2006)

2007 (42) agriculture (285) cooking (89) corn (91) culture (81) diet (90) eating (94) ecology (91) environment (178) farming (170) food (1,557) food industry (64) food politics (56) food writing (62) health (214) history (137) hunting (53) non-fiction (1,058) nutrition (211) organic (121) organic food (39) own (49) politics (64) read (112) science (151) sociology (50) sustainability (168) to-read (179) unread (54) wishlist (38)
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck (night_sky)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honore (Musecologist)
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (248)  Spanish (1)  All languages (249)
No pun intended, but I need time to digest this book. Not time to digest what the author conveys, but what this means to me personally.

On another hand, yeah, I wanted in on that dinner the author prepares at the end of the book ... ( )
  beebowallace | Apr 2, 2014 |
Awesome book. It should be required reading for everyone. It took me awhile to read because it's very dense. A lot of information to digest (no pun intended). Changed the way that i eat, and think about food. ( )
  lloyd1175 | Mar 22, 2014 |
This book is about what should be a simple premise: knowing where your food comes from. Pollen traces the origins of the different types of food we eat. From the corn grown by the hundreds of acres that we eat as all manner of processed food to a beef steer from a feedlot to pre-washed bagged organic lettuce to a chicken raised on a small, sustainable farm to plants and animals that the author forages and hunts for himself. Some of these are more difficult to look closely at than others, but that is really Pollen's point - that we should have the courage to look, that we should take responsibility and make informed choices about what we eat.

For me, someone who already fancied herself fairly knowledgeable about the issues this book addresses, I found it a really powerful, moving experience to read this book. I know I am a little late to the party on it, but I resisted reading it for a long time because I somehow got the impression that it was a book that basically convinced you to be a vegetarian by telling you about all the horrors of industrialized food. I was already a vegetarian, so I just opted not to read it. But that picture of it is really wrong. It is a much more nuanced book – but in a way that I also found really accessible – and it actually got me to a place by the end where I felt, for the first time in years and years, like I could potentially see myself eating meat again, if under the right, very specific, special circumstances. ( )
  booklovercook | Feb 20, 2014 |
An excellent book! I will indeed never think about food the same again. I highly recommend it to anybody and everybody. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Often sad and shocking, and always interesting. In the short time since reading this, I've been trying to eat more whole foods and fewer edible foodlike substances. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 4, 2014 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Wonderful Book!

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?

One of the New York Times Book Review's Ten Best Books of the Year

Winner of the James Beard Award

Author of #1 New York Times Bestsellers In Defense of Food and Food Rules

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, as the dawn of the twenty-first century, may determine our survival as a species. Packed with profound surprises, The Omnivore's Dilemma is changing the way Americans thing about the politics, perils, and pleasures of eating.

Coming from The Penguin Press in 2013, Michael Pollan’s newest book Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation--the story of our most trusted food expert’s culinary education

"Thoughtful, engrossing ... You're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from."
-The New York Times Book Review

"An eater's manifesto ... [Pollan's] cause is just, his thinking is clear, and his writing is compelling. Be careful of your dinner!"
-The Washington Post

"Outstanding... a wide-ranging invitation to think through the moral ramifications of our eating habits."
--The New Yorker

"If you ever thought 'what's for dinner' was a simple question, you'll change your mind after reading Pollan's searing indictment of today's food industry-and his glimpse of some inspiring alternatives.... I just loved this book so much I didn't want it to end."
-The Seattle Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:15 -0400)

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, at the dawn of the twenty-first century may determine our survival as a species.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,423,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible