The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural…

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Michael Pollan

Member:lemanakmelo
Title:The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
Authors:Michael Pollan
Info:Penguin (2007), Paperback, 450 pages
Rating:*****

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (2006)

Recently added bylcassaly, academiccenter, BiblioObsessed, AdolfoBenard, private library, jMitty, Lokweesha
    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck (night_sky)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honore (Musecologist)
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar (Othemts)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (258)  Spanish (1)  All languages (259)
This is a fascinating and landmark (for me, at least) read. This, along with Eating Animals, is what started the gears turning in my 18 year old brain. It caused me to reevaluate the way I understood food - what good food is, what ethical food is, what price we pay for cheap food, and what price we pay for the luxury of having access to every food we want at all times. It also opened my eyes to the fact that the supermarket is a fairly new creation. It wasn’t always normal for literally every food to be in stock at all times in all locations with an identical layout no matter where you are in the country. Naive, I’ll be the first to admit it, but that’s all I’ve ever known. And realizing for the first time that not only was that not normal, but that having constant access to every kind of food is decidedly abnormal was nothing short of mind blowing.

It’s not necessarily an uplifting read, Pollen talks about some pretty grim realities, but it’s written in an accessible way. And considering the subject matter, he doesn’t go about it in an overly preachy way. Whether or not you agree with his outlook, I think The Omnivore’s Dilemma is required reading if you want to inform yourself on this topic. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-qc
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-qc ( )
  Saretta.L | Feb 12, 2015 |
This book is incredible. It is an entertaining and intelligently written analysis and medititation on food in America from industrial corn and feed lots to big organic and Whole Foods, and finally to our human roots as hunter-gatherers. I learned things about corn I never knew before, and things about mass-produced meat that turned my stomach. The Omnivore's Dilemma has me looking up mushroom hunting in my area.

If you are interested in cooking, eating, chemistry, history, culture, sustainability or are curious about how your food is made, this will be an interesting read for you. ( )
  laluneestjolie | Jan 3, 2015 |
Subject matter and research aside, Pollan's style is simply lovely; the writing is far better than the usual journalism-nonfiction book, which makes it a pleasure to read and re-read. As for the substance, his subject is interesting; his research and reporting are well done and seem to have held up; and the book has been extremely influential to me and family as well as, apparently, many others. If authors are like dinner companions, he is welcome at my table any time. He manages to have a point of view without being dogmatic or ideological; he tells personal stories and anecdotes without being boring and annoying; he knows what he's talking about while leaving room for new information and interpretations; he displays curiosity, critical thinking, and good humor; in short, an extremely pleasant companion. ( )
  charliesierra | Nov 10, 2014 |
This book follows the journey of the author as he seeks to follow the course his food takes from wherever it is grown/raised all the way to his plate. The first part of the book, with its description of how corn has changed the way everybody in America eats (without us really knowing it), is very interesting and I'd give that part five stars. The rest of the book I'd give three stars. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Wonderful Book!

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?

One of the New York Times Book Review's Ten Best Books of the Year

Winner of the James Beard Award

Author of #1 New York Times Bestsellers In Defense of Food and Food Rules

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, as the dawn of the twenty-first century, may determine our survival as a species. Packed with profound surprises, The Omnivore's Dilemma is changing the way Americans thing about the politics, perils, and pleasures of eating.

Coming from The Penguin Press in 2013, Michael Pollan’s newest book Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation--the story of our most trusted food expert’s culinary education

"Thoughtful, engrossing ... You're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from."
-The New York Times Book Review

"An eater's manifesto ... [Pollan's] cause is just, his thinking is clear, and his writing is compelling. Be careful of your dinner!"
-The Washington Post

"Outstanding... a wide-ranging invitation to think through the moral ramifications of our eating habits."
--The New Yorker

"If you ever thought 'what's for dinner' was a simple question, you'll change your mind after reading Pollan's searing indictment of today's food industry-and his glimpse of some inspiring alternatives.... I just loved this book so much I didn't want it to end."
-The Seattle Times

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:15 -0400)

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, at the dawn of the twenty-first century may determine our survival as a species.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,258,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible