The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural…

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Michael Pollan

Member:lemanakmelo
Title:The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
Authors:Michael Pollan
Info:Penguin (2007), Paperback, 450 pages
Rating:*****

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan (2006)

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (heidialice, lorax)
    lorax: More thoughtful and personal than Omnivore's Dilemma, in many ways it picks up where Pollan leaves off.
    In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan (marzipanz, chrisharpe)
    chrisharpe: Less of a narrative than "The Omnivore's Dilemma", "In Defense of Food" is a succinct argument for considering what we eat, and includes potted advice for consumers who prefer a set of simple rules for eating. As the title suggests, this is perhaps the better analysis of the way the food industry affects the eater and what we can do about it.… (more)
    Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating by Jane Goodall (thebooky)
    Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck (night_sky)
    Why Did the Chicken Cross the World?: The Epic Saga of the Bird that Powers Civilization by Andrew Lawler (AmourFou)
    Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Very similar perspective, though Pollan focuses more on the "process" of getting "food" to the table.
    In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus) by Carl Honore (Musecologist)
    The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability by Lierre Keith (owen1218)
    Altered Genes, Twisted Truth: How the Venture to Genetically Engineer Our Food Has Subverted Science, Corrupted Government, and Systematically Deceived the Public by Steven Druker (davidgn)
    Cheesemonger: A Life on the Wedge by Gordon Edgar (Othemts)
    The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies About the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods You're Eating by Jeffrey M. Smith (piononus)
    American Terroir: Savoring the Flavors of Our Woods, Waters, and Fields by Rowan Jacobsen (DetailMuse)
    Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals by Karen Dawn (SqueakyChu)

English (283)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All (285)
This well written book is an eye opener about the food we eat. If you care at all about what you're eating, read this. The author offers some philosophical viewpoints as well, prodding the reader to examine his/her own beliefs and maybe to consider some new ones. This author is not against eating meat, lest you think that. Without directly saying so, he urges us to understand what nourishes us every day, where it comes from, what's in it, how it was managed along the way, and ultimately whether we want to eat it or to change some things we do. That answer will be different for each reader. Some of the author's reflections are surprising or delightful, others are sobering. Always he gives us honesty.

The book is a journey that the author undertook for himself and for all of us who care.

Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
This is one of the most important books that I think I’ve ever read. It really opened my eyes to some things and made me think about changes that I want to make moving forward. EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ IT. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Chronicle of food and food production ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 9, 2017 |
4 ( )
  ronchan | Nov 14, 2016 |
But for Pollan, the final outcome is less important than the meal's journey from the soil to the plate. His supermeticulous reporting is the book's strength — you're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from.
added by carport | editNew York Times, David Kamp (Apr 23, 2006)

Pollan, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Judith and Isaac
What should we have for dinner?
The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Readers Edition, and The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids are three separate works. Please do not combine them.

One of the New York Times Book Review's Ten Best Books of the Year

Winner of the James Beard Award

Author of #1 New York Times Bestsellers In Defense of Food and Food Rules

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, as the dawn of the twenty-first century, may determine our survival as a species. Packed with profound surprises, The Omnivore's Dilemma is changing the way Americans thing about the politics, perils, and pleasures of eating.

Coming from The Penguin Press in 2013, Michael Pollan’s newest book Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation--the story of our most trusted food expert’s culinary education

"Thoughtful, engrossing ... You're not likely to get a better explanation of exactly where your food comes from."
-The New York Times Book Review

"An eater's manifesto ... [Pollan's] cause is just, his thinking is clear, and his writing is compelling. Be careful of your dinner!"
-The Washington Post

"Outstanding... a wide-ranging invitation to think through the moral ramifications of our eating habits."
--The New Yorker

"If you ever thought 'what's for dinner' was a simple question, you'll change your mind after reading Pollan's searing indictment of today's food industry-and his glimpse of some inspiring alternatives.... I just loved this book so much I didn't want it to end."
-The Seattle Times

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:57 -0400)

Today, buffeted by one food fad after another, America is suffering from what can only be described as a national eating disorder. Will it be fast food tonight, or something organic? Or perhaps something we grew ourselves? The question of what to have for dinner has confronted us since man discovered fire. But as Michael Pollan explains in this revolutionary book, how we answer it now, at the dawn of the twenty-first century may determine our survival as a species.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,501,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible