South of the Border, West of the Sun by…

South of the Border, West of the Sun (1998)

by Haruki Murakami

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: In my opinion, a much better book.

English (46)  Spanish (6)  French (6)  German (3)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (69)
I devoured this book. It's about past yearnings and lost opportunities, the difficulty of choosing your way in the world, how we're all incomplete, and even our best choices wind up damning and ruining us. It's about love.
4 stars oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
In his newest book, South of the Border, West of the Sun, Haruki Murakami has changed styles yet again. He's moved on from the wonderful complexity of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles to telling the story of one man and the woman he has loved since they were both children. This is not to say that this is a simple story, this is also not to say that this is your regular love story, this is, after all, Haruki Murakami. His fiction is some of the finest around, and, while South of the Border, West of the Sun isn't as outstanding and complex as The Wind-Up Bird (one of my favorite novels), he is a master of the written word, who doesn't seem to ever make a literary misstep. His writing always draws me into another world, one where my mind is most definitely my own, but my thoughts are benignly controlled by the pace and whatever unknown qualities he has inhabited that writing with. It's always a pleasure to visit the world of Murakami. It's like a river: you never step into the same place twice; but it leaves your mind, instead of your feet, refreshed.

(4/99) ( )
  jphamilton | Jul 27, 2014 |
Most unlikeable protagonist ever, but good book. ( )
  William-Tucker | Jun 29, 2014 |
South of the Border, West of the Sun feels a lot like [b:Norwegian Wood|11297|Norwegian Wood|Haruki Murakami|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320451630s/11297.jpg|2956680] in that both mark departures from the more surrealist aspects of Murakami's writings and instead explore love and loss in post-war Japan.

Murakami deftly explores the longings a person has for a first love and how those feelings can overrun a person's life even when happiness is found elsewhere. The exploration of a mid-life crisis is well developed.

However, unlike Norwegian Wood, this book still feels somewhat lacking - similar elements are there but South of the Border, West of the Sun lacks the emotional development that the former book has. Nevertheless, it is still an enjoyable read. ( )
  xuebi | May 30, 2014 |
"Hay una realidad que demuestra la verdad de un hecho. Porque nuestra memoria y nuestros sentidos son demasiado inseguros, demasiado parciales.Incluso podemos afirmar que muchas veces es imposible discernir hasta qué punto un hecho que creemos percibir es real y a partir de qué punto solo creemos que lo es. Así que para preservar la realidad como tal, necesitamos otra realidad-una realidad colindante-que la relativice. Pero, asu vez esta realidad colindante necesita una base para relativizararse a sí misma. Es decir, que hay otra realidad colindante que demuestra, a su vez, que esta es real. Y esta cadena se extiende indefinidamente dentro de nuestra conciencia y, en un cierto sentido, puede afirmarse que es a través de esta sucesión, a través de la conservación de esta cadena, como adquirimos conciencia de nuestra existencia misma." ( )
  darioha | Mar 13, 2014 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bandini, DitteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bandini, GiovanniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fennema, ElbrichTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My birthday is January 4, 1951. The first week of the first month of the first year of the second half of the twentieth century.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679767398, Paperback)

In South of the Border, West of the Sun, the arc of an average man's life from childhood to middle age, with its attendant rhythms of success and disappointment, becomes the kind of exquisite literary conundrum that is Haruki Murakami's trademark. The plot is simple: Hajime meets and falls in love with a girl in elementary school, but he loses touch with her when his family moves to another town. He drifts through high school, college, and his 20s, before marrying and settling into a career as a successful bar owner. Then his childhood sweetheart returns, weighed down with secrets:
When I went back into the bar, a glass and ashtray remained where she had been. A couple of lightly crushed cigarette butts were lined up in the ashtray, a faint trace of lipstick on each. I sat down and closed my eyes. Echoes of music faded away, leaving me alone. In that gentle darkness, the rain continued to fall without a sound.
Murakami eschews the fantastic elements that appear in many of his other novels and stories, and readers hoping for a glimpse of the Sheep Man will be disappointed. Yet South of the Border, West of the Sun is as rich and mysterious as anything he has written. It is above all a complex, moving, and honest meditation on the nature of love, distilled into a work with the crystal clarity of a short story. A Nat "King" Cole song, a figure on a crowded street, a face pressed against a car window, a handful of ashes drifting down a river to the sea are woven together into a story that refuses to arrive at a simple conclusion. The classic love triangle may seem like a hackneyed theme for a writer as talented as Murakami, but in his quietly dazzling way, he bends us to his own unique geometry. --Simon Leake

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:47 -0400)

A successful Japanese nightclub owner, husband, and father risks everything to be reunited with his childhood sweetheart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible