Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss

Hop on Pop (original 1963; edition 1963)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:mcrad001
Title:Hop on Pop
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Beginner Books (1963), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 72 pages

Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss (1963)

I picked this book up because I haven't read a Dr. Seuss book in a very long time. I couldn't remember what they were like, I only knew that they rhymed and had silly characters. This whole book was based on rhyming words. The illustrations were very "Dr. Seuss" like which means they were mostly filled with odd creatures, bears, and people. On every page there are about two words capitalized which signifies the words that are being rhymed. Also, I realized that the last capitalized word is also the word that ends in the rhyme (sometimes). An example of this is on pages 26-27 when it says "PAT PAT. They call him Pat. PAT SAT. Pat sat on a hat." I enjoyed this book even though it didn't have a set plot, it was fun to read Dr. Seuss again and see all of the funny characters that went along with the story. ( )
  lgrube4 | Nov 18, 2014 |
People love it, but this one just doesn't do it for me. For Seuss, I prefer "Green Eggs and Ham", and "The Cat in the Hat", and a whole bunch of others. ( )
  lquilter | Oct 21, 2014 |
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Dr. Seuss is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Dr. Seuss takes simple words and creates fun rhyme schemes to teach little ones the repetition of sounds. The funny characters used makes this even more enjoyable for little ones. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 17, 2014 |
Hop on Pop was an interesting read. It's advertised as "The simplest Seuss for youngest use" and I agree that it is an easy read, but I also felt it was a bit confusing. Some of the rhymes were easy to mix up but that could be from reading it too fast. As with most Dr. Seuss books, the illustrations help tell the story, which children would appreciate. ( )
  bmmoore | May 7, 2014 |
UP
PUP
Pup is up.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039480029X, Hardcover)

First published in 1963, Hop on Pop remains a perennial favorite when it comes to teaching kids to read. Here, as in most of his extensive body of work, Dr. Seuss creates uncomplicated, monosyllabic rhymes to foster learning and inspire children to read. But what was radical about this little book at the time of publication (and what makes it still compelling today) is Seuss's departure from the traditionally dull pictures and sentences used in reading primers. In contrast, the illustrations here are wild and wonderful, and the accompanying language, while simple, is delightfully silly. For example, the rhyme "THREE TREE / Three fish in a tree / Fish in a tree? / How can that be?" is brought to life with a trio of plump, self-satisfied fish perched atop globular branches as two stymied hybrid dog-rabbit-humanoids look on in consternation. Hop on Pop does much more than teach children the basics of word construction, it also introduces them to the incomparable pleasure of reading a book. (Ages Baby to Preschooler)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:26 -0400)

Pairs of rhyming words are introduced and used in simple sentences, such as "Day. Play. We play all day. Night. Fight. We fight all night."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,988,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible