The Diamond of Darkhold by Jeanne DuPrau

The Diamond of Darkhold

by Jeanne DuPrau

English (54)  German (1)  All languages (55)
Jeanne DuPrau hit a homerun with "The City of Ember," but none of the other books in the series even came close to the first. "City of Sparks" was just okay. "Prophet of Yonwood," was one of the most pointless books I've ever read (and in spite of being marketed as such, is not a prequel to the series... it's totally unrelated) and sadly, "The Diamond of Darkhold," although an improvement over Yonwood, isn't really very good.
Lina and Doon trek back to Ember to try to discover the point of a book that Doon has acquired, suggesting that there is something there that was intended for the people when they left the city. Doon is captured by a domineering, but quite wicked, family who has recently set up camp in Ember. He escapes fairly easily, finds Lina quickly, and they go back to Sparks, with the "diamond" in hand. In the end the find out what it's for, that there are lots of them, and everyone lives happily ever after. Nobody learns anything about life, none of the characters change in any way. There just isn't much point to the story.
Read "The Ciy of Ember." But if you love it... just read it a few more times and skip the other three books. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 20, 2019 |
This one tied up the Ember series nicely. (I skipped the 3rd) Lina and Doon find their way back to Ember to loot because times are tough in Sparks - and find some looters! I always enjoy a Katherine Kelgren listen. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I enjoyed this book and thought the entire series was perfect. Happy to see everything worked out for Lina and Doon. And they lived happily ever after. LOL, I gave this book four stars and the series 3.5 stars. ( )
  stevealtier | Feb 1, 2018 |
In the beginning it starts off the story talking about what Lina and Doon are doing at the time, and in the middle of the beginning a roamer comes. Lina and Doon find the roamer had a book explaining how to get an object that will change their future. Sadly only 8 pages are left of the humongous book. In the middle Lina and Doon go out to the city of ember to find what the book speaks of. There they find that people found the city of ember, and are living in it. They capture Doon and Lina goes to find help back in Sparks, the town they had been living in. In the end Doon escapes with the thing the book spoke of (A solar powered diamond looking object) and meets Lina. They then discover that the diamond was solar powered and gave electricity to just about everything. Hundreds of years later, Lina's great great great great granddaughter lived in a city where almost everything was solar powered, and that was the end of the book.

I really liked this book because I read every other book in the series except for this one, and I was desperate to read it since I hadn't got around to before. It has a good plot and I think it follows up with the rest of the books very well. I give this book five gold stars. ( )
  SamuelM.B4 | Sep 25, 2017 |
What an interesting end to the story. I like how it teaches the younger readers to continue to use their brains and trust their instincts. I like how it foreshadows a future for the main characters so we aren't left wondering what might become of them. And I like how everything wasn't automatically saved and wonderful, but that we can see that perhaps in the future a better world could be possible with hard work and patience. This is a very good dystopian series for fans of the genre. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
For Jim and Susie, who made the journey possible
Around the middle of the twenty-first century, when it seemed a great catastrophe was about to engulf the world, an underground city was built as a last refuge for the human race.

It’s been several months since Lina and Doon escaped the dying city of Ember and, along with the rest of their people, joined the town of Sparks. Now, struggling through the harsh winter aboveground, they find an unusual book. Torn up and missing most of its pages, it alludes to a mysterious device from before the Disaster, which they believe is still in Ember. Together, Lina and Doon must go back underground to retrieve what was lost and bring light to a dark world.

In the fourth Book of Ember, bestselling author Jeanne DuPrau juxtaposes yet another action-packed adventure with powerful themes about hope, learning, and the search for truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:42 -0400)

When a roamer trades them an ancient book with only a few pages remaining, Lina and Doon return to Ember to seek the machine the book seems to describe in hopes that it will get their new community, Sparks, through the winter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,328,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible