The Diamond of Darkhold by Jeanne DuPrau

The Diamond of Darkhold

by Jeanne DuPrau

English (53)  German (1)  All (54)
In the beginning it starts off the story talking about what Lina and Doon are doing at the time, and in the middle of the beginning a roamer comes. Lina and Doon find the roamer had a book explaining how to get an object that will change their future. Sadly only 8 pages are left of the humongous book. In the middle Lina and Doon go out to the city of ember to find what the book speaks of. There they find that people found the city of ember, and are living in it. They capture Doon and Lina goes to find help back in Sparks, the town they had been living in. In the end Doon escapes with the thing the book spoke of (A solar powered diamond looking object) and meets Lina. They then discover that the diamond was solar powered and gave electricity to just about everything. Hundreds of years later, Lina's great great great great granddaughter lived in a city where almost everything was solar powered, and that was the end of the book.

I really liked this book because I read every other book in the series except for this one, and I was desperate to read it since I hadn't got around to before. It has a good plot and I think it follows up with the rest of the books very well. I give this book five gold stars. ( )
  SamuelM.B4 | Sep 25, 2017 |
What an interesting end to the story. I like how it teaches the younger readers to continue to use their brains and trust their instincts. I like how it foreshadows a future for the main characters so we aren't left wondering what might become of them. And I like how everything wasn't automatically saved and wonderful, but that we can see that perhaps in the future a better world could be possible with hard work and patience. This is a very good dystopian series for fans of the genre. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
This book would most likely be used in an upper classroom such as seventh or eighth grade. It is apart of a series. Its a very good adventure book I could use to get the students reading. Could also be used in a science lesson. ( )
  AmbraGoff | Mar 15, 2016 |
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

Was Diamond of Darkhold as good as the first two books (here and here)? No. But I was surprised how much better Diamond was than that dreadful prequel, Prophet of Yonwood (my review here) - in fact, it was only slightly less compelling than The People of Sparks was. And when you're writing the third book set around the same post-apocalyptic community, things are bound to get a little redundant. DuPrau does her best to combat this, taking old settings and recasting them in a whole new light.

The personification is wonderful: everyone, even minor characters, have their own personalities that are unique enough that you can differentiate between them, but they don't fall into stereotypes. Besides the main characters Lina and Doon there are many minor characters both old and new who play important roles in the story, all of whom have various backstories that meld into the larger story. Sometimes those backstories are short, but then again sometimes real-life backstories are short, too.

I love Lina and Doon, and I really enjoyed seeing them again. Their character development hasn't come very far from the first book, but it's definitely noticeable that they are both braver, stronger, and confident than they were in Ember. Their friendship has grown so that they are not just allies, but best friends as well. I appreciated that DuPrau didn't take their relationship to the next level during the bulk of the book, and left information about their future for the last chapter. The romantic in me hates that we didn't get to see Lina and Doon as a couple, but the realist in me appreciates that. For one thing, they're only like fourteen in this book. For another, they were busy! It's so annoying in most dystopian books how the main characters focus more on their love interests than they do on their missions. In the Ember books, romance is the last thing from everyone's mind and that makes my realist side extremely happy.

If you loved the first two Ember books, and then I highly recommend you read this as well. It brings the story full circle, tying everything off with a great mixture of realism and optimism throughout. Please don't begin the series here, though - the first two books are both outstanding, and set the stage for this final book in the series. ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
The second best in the series in my opinion. Annoying ending. ( )
  babydogfish | Jan 29, 2016 |
For Jim and Susie, who made the journey possible
Around the middle of the twenty-first century, when it seemed a great catastrophe was about to engulf the world, an underground city was built as a last refuge for the human race.

It’s been several months since Lina and Doon escaped the dying city of Ember and, along with the rest of their people, joined the town of Sparks. Now, struggling through the harsh winter aboveground, they find an unusual book. Torn up and missing most of its pages, it alludes to a mysterious device from before the Disaster, which they believe is still in Ember. Together, Lina and Doon must go back underground to retrieve what was lost and bring light to a dark world.

In the fourth Book of Ember, bestselling author Jeanne DuPrau juxtaposes yet another action-packed adventure with powerful themes about hope, learning, and the search for truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:42 -0400)

After obtaining an ancient book with only a few pages remaining, Lina and Doon return to Ember seeking the machine described in the book that might be able to aid their new community, Sparks, through the winter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible