Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin

Authors:Lauren McLaughlin
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2008), Hardcover, 256 pages
Collections:To read

Cycler by Lauren McLaughlin

Recently added byunsquare, halkeye, amastny, private library, deffynyxx, theWallflower, esswedl, GLSO, emilyepfaff

YA,gender issues,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
WEIRD. ( )
  socango | Apr 2, 2013 |
The concept was just too odd to pass up, so what the heck. I'm in the midst of a "read a couple dozen ya books really fast before going back to the serious stuff again" and this one caught my eye. An interesting take on the usual teenage angst, and just twisted enough to be interesting. It was a fun way to kill a couple of hours and i'll probably pick up the sequel, just to see how the characters evolve. ( )
  ScoutJ | Mar 31, 2013 |
Interesting twists and personalities in this book. I really started reading it expecting to dislike it, but I somehow was pulled into the (rather shallow) storyline. Good escapist literature will do that I suppose. I think that the author could have fleshed out the characters more--Jack is all about sex, sex, sex. I mean, I know guys might think a lot about sex in high school, but seriously, it's not the ONLY thing that they think about! Give the poor boy some personality! I'm interested to pick up the sequel now to see how she develops the characters and especially to see how Tommy and Ramie actually react to the revelation that ends the book. ( )
  ReadingFanatic09 | Oct 4, 2010 |
The premise and writing was great, it just fell a little flat for me. I think that there were too many twists and that things weren't fleshed out as much as it could have been.
Also, with Jack-- everything went back to sex, and even if guys really think that way- there needs to be more depth for me.

I liked the friendships in this book, and I like that the mom is very involved in Jill's life, even though there are problems, big ones, with her interactions with Jack ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Aug 30, 2010 |
This is a book that the kids in your life really need to read, a gender-bending piece of speculative fiction aimed at young people that manages to say novel, useful, and challenging things about gender and sexuality without ever descending into squicky fluid-exchange or soapy romance.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Aug 26, 2008)

I really enjoyed this book. It’s funny, that time of the month for a girl can be a real big pain. Especially when for four days you transform into a boy. But changing genders isn’t the only thing that takes place. A new persona known as Jack lives inside of Jill and is living life through her eyes most of the time. The book is not only about learning to cope, but like any teenager, Jack searches for his identity while Jill tries tirelessly to get rid of him. Identity is something that everyone will struggle with. Now try imagining what it must be like living inside another person’s body. Who is Jack really?
added by SPSVLibrary | editSPSVLibrary

For Carol and Tom McLaughlin
I am all girl.
Let me tell you something about Jill. The girl's life is a friggin' fairy tale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375851917, Hardcover)

AS FAR AS anyone at her high school knows, Jill McTeague is an average smart girl trying to get her dream date to ask her to the prom.

What no one knows, except for Jill’s mom and dad, is that for the four days Jill is out of school each month, she is not Jill at all. She is Jack, a genuine boy—complete with all the parts. Jack lives his four days per month in the solitude of Jill’s room. But his personality has been building since the cycling began. He is less and less content with his confinement and his cycles are becoming more frequent. Now Jill’s question about the prom isn’t who she'll go with, but who she'll be when the big night arrives.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:02 -0400)

Seventeen-year-old Jill is a fairly normal high school senior whose focus is on getting a certain boy to ask her to prom, but four days a month she transforms into surly Jack who decides it is time he had his own life and a chance with the girl he wants.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible