The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

The Spectacular Now

by Tim Tharp

"The Spectacular Now" is a coming of age story that demonstrates teen relationships and invincibility perfectly. The main character, Sutter, is the life of the party and always looks for ways to uplift others in unique ways. Aimee is a social nobody who runs into Sutter on accident. They become friends as Sutter yearns to help Aimee out. In the end they both change and shape each other for the better.

I found this read to be slightly slow at first, however the more that you read Sutter’s story the more you care for and root for him to succeed in anything he would do -- including illegal activities. I found it very easy to relate to the perspective of the teens in this book as it is described as I remember living it and is reminiscent of The Catcher in the Rye. Excellent read and it left me feeling pretty spectacular.

Ashley C. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I don't know how I feel right now... ( )
  hamm4d | Nov 24, 2016 |
I don't know how I feel right now... ( )
  hamm4d | Nov 24, 2016 |
It took me a month and a half to read this book. In fact, I started reading other books and actually read it on several days with a couple weeks between each sitting. It was frustrating and slow, and I honestly wanted to slap this kid several times. Though really, I wanted to slap the mother more. ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
Very well written book about Sutter who tries to make everyone happy with his jokes and stories yet he is hurting inside from the leaving of his Dad. He also has a constant alcoholic buzz and gets blackout drunk at times. He meets Aimee who is very different from him and he feels he needs to help her come out of her shyness. There are always guys like this growing up. They think they are mature and wise yet they are hurting inside and need help themselves. Enjoyable read that won't disappoint. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |

In the last months of high school, charismatic eighteen-year-old Sutter Keely lives in the present, staying drunk or high most of the time, but that could change when he starts working to boost the self-confidence of a classmate, Aimee.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible