The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

The Spectacular Now

by Tim Tharp

Eh, it was okay.

I just didn't care. Sutter was a bit of a jerk, but you could see why, but it never really mattered that you could see why. Amy was just a wet noodle. She just goes from a complete wet noodle to a wet noodle who relies on her boyfriend to fix all her problems. Sutter's friend is also a jerk and his girlfriend Beth is annoying. Sutter's ex-girlfriend Cassidy is probably the best thing about this book and I wish the book had been about her instead of stupid Sutter.

And on and on and on.

There was some nice writing, I guess. But I felt like I'd have been better off rereading The Catcher in the Rye. Holden's also a jerk, you know, but the writing was much better. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
Eh, it was okay.

And on and on and on.

hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
This was a book I bought from the "buy 2 get 1free" table at Barnes and Noble, i found two I wanted easily but finding a third was next to impossible and I settled on this. It is obviously a very quick read about a teenage screwup and drunk who has a unique life perspective. not as predictable as many books in this genre, but not a whole lot of surprises either. ( )
  zmagic69 | Apr 7, 2015 |
Not sure what the point of this book was. A few cute moments but not nearly enough. ( )
  busyreadin | Mar 9, 2015 |
Sutter Keely is the life of the party at his high school: he never really gets into any big trouble, and he's not one to think to hard about consequences before jumping in and loving life. Yeah, maybe he carries a flask of whisky, but he's not an actual drunk. When he and his girlfriend Cassidy break up, his life takes a spin and he suddenly meets Aimee Finecky, who is so not his type.

The book dates itself with references to email and MySpace, but it captures the feeling of high school perfectly which makes it perfect and maddening at the same time. Much like its main character. Though Sutter most assuredly has his problems and is not the most reliable of narrators, I really liked him and rooted for him all the way. ( )
  bell7 | Dec 27, 2014 |

In the last months of high school, charismatic eighteen-year-old Sutter Keely lives in the present, staying drunk or high most of the time, but that could change when starts working to boost the self-confidence of a classmate, Aimee.

304 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible