The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

The Spectacular Now

by Tim Tharp

305None36,863 (3.55)6

A brilliant first-person narrative. Sharp dialogue, interesting characters, and some really painful, beautiful, "spectacular" moments. ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
This was one of the saddest, most depressing books I've ever read. The story is just one example of how our experiences and decisions can bundle into one big ball of regret. I listened to the audio version, and recommend it highly. The reader absolutely nails the main character in voice. In my opinion, it enhanced the story. All that said, the point of this book, in my opinion has to be lost on the young. Teens just don't think this way. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 9, 2014 |
Not sure what the big deal is with this book or why someone felt compelled to make it into a movie. It felt like a series of vignettes that never coalesced into more than sound bites. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 27, 2014 |
This one grew on me after I closed the cover. A fantastically unreliable narrator, believable teen story lines, and one of the most realistic depictions of alcoholism at any age that I've seen in literature. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Feb 24, 2014 |

In the last months of high school, charismatic eighteen-year-old Sutter Keely lives in the present, staying drunk or high most of the time, but that could change when starts working to boost the self-confidence of a classmate, Aimee.

36 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,490,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible