The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

The Spectacular Now

by Tim Tharp

Senior Sutter Keely has it all--a beautiful girlfriend, a weed-supplying best friend and plenty of booze to fill up the trunk of his car every weekend...at least until it all fell apart. After one night falling into a drunken stupor, Sutter wakes up on a stranger's lawn to the voice of AImee, a nerdy girl that Sutter decides to "save" from a life of unpopularity. I went into "The Spectacular Now" expecting it to be a classic bad-boy meets good-girl and is changed for the better, but I was completely wrong. I enjoyed the honesty of the book, but I just could not sympathize with Sutter's character. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Apr 17, 2014 |
A brilliant first-person narrative. Sharp dialogue, interesting characters, and some really painful, beautiful, "spectacular" moments. ( )
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
  thereaderscommute | Apr 13, 2014 |
This was one of the saddest, most depressing books I've ever read. The story is just one example of how our experiences and decisions can bundle into one big ball of regret. I listened to the audio version, and recommend it highly. The reader absolutely nails the main character in voice. In my opinion, it enhanced the story. All that said, the point of this book, in my opinion has to be lost on the young. Teens just don't think this way. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 9, 2014 |
Not sure what the big deal is with this book or why someone felt compelled to make it into a movie. It felt like a series of vignettes that never coalesced into more than sound bites. ( )
  SparklePonies | Feb 27, 2014 |

In the last months of high school, charismatic eighteen-year-old Sutter Keely lives in the present, staying drunk or high most of the time, but that could change when starts working to boost the self-confidence of a classmate, Aimee.

36 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible