The Jellybeans and the Big Dance by Laura…

The Jellybeans and the Big Dance

by Laura Numeroff

2021358,111 (3.66)None

A young puppy dog named Emily, dancing. She danced while doing mostly everything and skipped all the way to her first dance practice. She joined a class that she really did not fit into. As the classes went on, Emily still was not enjoying her classmate's company. One day, Emily and the three others: Bitsy, Anna, and Nicole, discovered that the beginning letters of their names spell out the word "bean". Realizing this, Emily went to the candy store and bought jellybeans for her and the three girls. They immediately became friends at this point and were able to bond over their love of jellybeans. They even decided to nickname themselves as the dancing jellybeans.
This was not one of my favorite stories. Although I enjoyed the concept that it is not always easy to fit in, I found the text to be very confusing. The constant changing of character names was hard to follow. I never really understood which animal was Bitsy, Anna, or Nicole. I feel that if I were able to understand this better, then my experience may have been a little different. Children may also feel differently about this because although I was unable to fully follow, I did still enjoy the illustrations and the costumes that the dancing jellybeans wore. ( )
  jmistret | Mar 9, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book about the importance of accepting others differences to allow for friendships to grow. The two aspects of this book I liked the most were its development of the plot with a clear conflict and solution, as well as the author's inclusion of descriptive dialog to highlight the building conflict in the story. The cute series events, such as discovering how they all like different hobbies and don't all love to dance, built the tension of the dancers' differences in a well-paced manner, engaged the reader in the plot. Also, the dialog between the main characters adds a personal aspect to the story, which helped the story develop more than it would have without it. This is shown well when the girls discuss how jellybeans are their favorite candy, with all of its "different flavors, but they still go well together", just like the girls. The inclusion of these aspects made this story stand out in my mind with its fun details and character interaction. ( )
  StephanieGrim | Oct 22, 2014 |
This story is about a little girl that starts a new dance class and is surprised to find out that her classmates would rather be doing other things. But she finds a way to bring her classmates together and push past their differences to become friends and make something great!
  AyannaMagee | Apr 30, 2014 |
This is a great book to show characteristics. Although the kids have many differences they find a way to be friends. Regardless of all their different traits and characteristics, this can really help the students understand about different characteristics.
  AMaffett | Apr 30, 2014 |
The Jellybeans and the Big Dance is a book about how o matter what you look like or what you special talent is, in the end you come together with your friends. ( )
  abarnes012892 | Nov 18, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 081099352X, Hardcover)

Friendship comes in many flavors in the launch of a charming new series by a bestselling author and illustrator team!

Laura Numeroff, Nate Evans, and Lynn Munsinger bring readers a fun new group of sweet friends.

Just as jellybeans are different colors and flavors, each character in this heartwarming friendship story has a personality and pizzazz that young readers will love.

Emily loves to dance and can’t wait to meet the other girls in her class, who are sure to be just like her. But instead she meets Nicole, a tomboy who would rather be playing soccer; Bitsy, who loves arts and crafts; and Anna, a shy bookworm who has no interest at all in dancing. Realizing that they have to work together to make their dance recital a success, the girls learn to love each other’s differences and strengths as they band together and name their group the Jellybeans!

The latest picture book by beloved bestselling authors Laura Numeroff and Nate Evans is as sweet as sugar and features four adorable characters that all children will relate to. With joyful illustrations by Lynn Munsinger that dance off the page, The Jellybeans and the Big Dance will inspire readers to dance, prance, and boogie-woogie to the beat of their own drum.

F&P level: K
F&P genre: F

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:29 -0400)

When four young girls meet in dance class, it takes time for them to find a way--and a reason--to pull together as one, but Emily helps them realize that, just like a bag of jellybeans, they can be different and still go well together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,513,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible